Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So … people really do keep original tool kits when they sell the bikes?
Apparently I'm not the only one.

I kept my LTD kit because the one that came with my 1800 was a joke.

I just bought the below kit from a guy who kept it after selling his SEi.
I made a complete kit between his & Mine.

I see them on ebay from time to time.

·
Administrator
58,470 Posts
Apparently I'm not the only one.

I kept my LTD kit because the one that came with my 1800 was a joke.

I just bought the below kit from a guy who kept it after selling his SEi.
I made a complete kit between his & Mine.

I see them on ebay from time to time.

View attachment 320670
when I sold our '84 and the '86SEi which came with the above tool kit, never gave a thought to keeping it, the 1500 will have one with it, so I should be "good to go"...
gawd what a horrible mistake.... the cheap POS plastic box with 6 or 7 useless Chinese crap tools in the '94SE were, and are a joke. The pliars are just barely good enough to pinch your fingers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when I sold our '84 and the '86SEi which came with the above tool kit, never gave a thought to keeping it, the 1500 will have one with it, so I should be "good to go"...
gawd what a horrible mistake.... the cheap POS plastic box with 6 or 7 useless Chinese crap tools in the '94SE were, and are a joke. The pliars are just barely good enough to pinch your fingers.
I hear that, That is why I kept a usable tool kit.

The tool kit in my 1800 is as useful as the 1500 kit.
Only Honda got rid of the cheap plastic box for a cheap vinyl bag.

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts
I have a few jacks from cars that were wrecked department vehicles (was at HQ one day, had no afternoon classes, just browsing bone yard and shop guy said if I wanted something, to get it before the scrappers did, so I did), tire hold down bolts too with wing nuts where I moved a spare to store gear better, etc. Jacks are scissors types mostly, great to use on trailers to level, light weight, easy to weld to frame, etc. I had a bent rim on one of my issued CVPIs too (boot leg turns will do it) soo I grabbed a new spare once as well.

Tool kits from the bikes? I never looked to see if a tool kit was present before purchase, I just knew I'd stock my own if needed.
I gutted the plastic tool box in the 1500 and have some nicer additional tools in it now … chrome too … but it had all I needed to swap alternators before that. I never really liked the 1200A's pouch itself as a carrier. HF has some decent deals on seldom used emergency type tools, so no Craftsman or SnapOn, etc in the trike or bikes or 4 wheelers. If I'm working on one at home, I'm working out of a tool box or chest anyway, with ratchets and stuff and screw drivers that don't have fragile plastic handles.

I just didn't realize keeping tools that came with the bike was so prevalent, I guess I just never valued them as tools I wanted to keep long term …
… that was all. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts