Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Put a very light amount of brake fluid on a shop towell and dab the scratch. Then rub it with light rotation. Wash ASAP! After the scratch is removed, wash with soap and water, then apply some Plege. Wax or whatever you use to shine her up.i use Nu Finish. It doesnt leave any discoloration, unless you use too much brake fluid. After you wash and polish, it looks the same as the rest of the paint. Awsome, easy, and inexpensive. I suggest trying this on a scratch that cant be seen first. David

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Brake fluid David? Somehow I dont think I'll be taking a chance in that, but thanks anyway for the tip.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Rather you than me mate, I have seen first hand what a minute amount of that stuff can do to paint on a bike!! :lash:

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Do what no thank you

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I ave used brake fluid to remove some stubborn stuff, like when I first got the bike there was a ton of Black marks across the fake tank from the PO boots. Nothing would take this stuff off and I honestly thought it had already removed the paint and the black marks were into the base coat. When I was bleeding my brakes, I spilled some and wiped it off real quick, the black marks disappeared, and didn't do anything to the paint. I wouldn't do this as a normal cleaner, but it did work in this case and no harm done.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

See, it does work. I wouldnt use it 4 a big scratch or on a later model bike. If
done like above, it works well. Better than spending hundreds for a touch up. David

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

I have something I will try that on.

·
JR
256 Posts
imported post

David, do you know if it is possible to buy touch up paint for these wings?
Thanks! JR

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
imported post

The local PPG paint store has matched two for me. Take them a piece with a flat spot, so they can use computer gun on it.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

JR831100 wrote:
David, do you know if it is possible to buy touch up paint for these wings?
Thanks! JR
Yer Sir, I dn, but for two very small scratches, I figured Id try it,
and it worked. With a good paint job with clear coat, Id never do it, but with old paint, whth most of the clear coat gone, it works. The trick is to have soap and water appied right after the scratch is removed. David

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

I understand Brake fluid is great for cleaning Vinyl seats also........Just kidding.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Actually I have had luck with the Fix it product on light scratches in the clear coat on my car. But I had real good luck with the Quixxfix product on removing rub marks and scuffs. Dont expect the Fix it stuff to repair anything other then light clear coat scratches and the quixx product takes 3 or four applications to fix deeper scratches. :waving:

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

I had a drip of brake fluid from the reservior down side plastic to reverse handle. It went through the clear coat and removed a little paint where it puddled. A loose screw was the culprit.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I always put a shop towel
under my resivors when adding brake fluid. Too much will cause an unsightly streak of removed paint. David

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Brake fluid will eat paint and can cause Lexan to craze nearly instantly. I don't know what BMW motorcycles use for their bike dashboards, it's a black plastic but whena littlebrake fluid spilled on my brother's bike the dashboard simply disintegrated, whole sections of it just came apart like it was a jigsaw puzzle. The plastic didn't melt but fractured into dime sized pieces over about one quarter of the dash. Real fast attacking stuff, we flushed the area immediately after the spill but it was too late. So be real careful with the stuff around plastics.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

brake fluid can remove bubbling clear cote but the set time must be experimented with...i in advertantly did this on an older mercedes hood(that had bubbling)...wiped up a spill up with a rag that had traces of brake fluid on it... the next day the clear cote wiped away and the paint was fine...cool...was a great improvement after cleaning it up.. but i have not tried it on a bike

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Brake fluid will eat paint and can cause Lexan to craze nearly instantly. I don't know what BMW motorcycles use for their bike dashboards, it's a black plastic but whena littlebrake fluid spilled on my brother's bike the dashboard simply disintegrated, whole sections of it just came apart like it was a jigsaw puzzle. The plastic didn't melt but fractured into dime sized pieces over about one quarter of the dash. Real fast attacking stuff, we flushed the area immediately after the spill but it was too late. So be real careful with the stuff around plastics.
I experienced the same fracturing with a piece of acrylic / Plexiglas. Just fell apart.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.