Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for the past two months for a 97-99 1500 SE.I found one Saturday morn on craigslist in Harrisburg Illinois while drinkin my coffee.Called the dude up,he said the bike has 66,000 on it,an 800$ leather Corbin saddle seat and spent$636. on it at the dealership in May/12 for,front tire,brakes F&R,tune-up,oil/air filter,vacum hose.He told them,"anything it needs to do it".My thoughts at first were, i wasn't going to spend 6500 cash for a bike with 66,000 miles on it.Once i seen "in person" the maintainance records and receipts that he had proof of,it changed my mind.I bought it! I had a chilly 200 mile ride back home,but i wish i was still in the saddle.THIS Corbin Saddle seat is UNBELIEVABLY comfortable. My very first trip on a 1500,and all i can say is.... S-M-O-O-T-H and Q-U-I-E-T. Anyway,here's some pics of her.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

Congratulations, nice looking bike, but I am prejudiced !

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
That is a sweet looking wing and only 66,000 miles on her. Hardly broken in yet. Congrats on the find!! :applause::applause:

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
You got a super deal ..... and I love my Corbin as well.
Love the colors! :applause:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
A green 97 was my first 1500. Great choice!!

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
Sweet looking ride. Congratulations. We'll have to do a DQ run this spring.:waving:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
That is a well maintained wing, and it SHOWS!!!!
Congrats,, now don't forget one of the most important accessories,,,,,, the Atlas :cool:

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks fellas! I hear ya on the Atlas bud.Don't worry,this thing won't be just sitting around all year.Wife and i really put the miles on 'em.

I thought i got a purdy good deal too. It looks just as clean under the side covers.I really keep up on maintainance myself so hopefully it will last us for many miles.

Next step....will be......THE DaRkSiDe !

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
I too, was looking at the '97 and up GL1500's when I was looking for a new to me bike. I found my '97 on CL, but I had to fly to Phoenix, and drive it back around 1100 miles. It was cold too, during the New Years weekend.

Yours may not need the maintenance either, but I mad sure I tore mine down to a point during the super short winter we have and did a lot of preventative maintenance. I didn't have the luxury of knowing it's past service history (save for some small notes in the owners manual), so I did a few things like filters, belts, extra lights, plus added Progressive springs, fork brace, stainless steel wrapped brake lines, etc, just as a why not measure...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Mileage below 300,000 means nil on a 1500. The only thing high mileage means on a 'Wing is that the paint might be chipped, that one doesn't look like it. That price is in the upper range for that year bike but so is the bike, looks like a good deal to me.

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree exavid,thanks!

Sam,i'm with ya...I have some maintainance records and you can tell he kept up on everything BUT,i can't find where they have replaced the T-belts.I just KNOW they have been replaced but i'm gonna have to open it up here in a few weeks just to make sure or it will drive me NUTS! I will probably go ahead and put new belts on it while i gotter open. Bout got my trailer ready for paint.Had to buy a bike just so i would know what color to paint the trailer.lol

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
It is a nicely matched seat! Great looking bike. I love my wing and Corbin seat too. 28,000 miles later and the only thing I have had to do was replace the battery and of course tires.

I hope you get the same kind of service out of your new to you 1500.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
That is a nice looking bike even if it isn't a red one! :cheeky1: I know you are going to enjoy it, I've had a great time on mine since March.

By the way, Happy Veterans Day whenever you may have celebrated it 11 or 12! :july4thflag::july4thflag::july4thflag::july4thflag:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I am a 1500 fan too, but any chance you're overdoing it a little here?

:smile:
I have almost 118,000 on mine right now and would drive it anywhere, anytime! I don't think 300,000 is that far off............ Maybe 350,000.......

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I have almost 118,000 on mine right now and would drive it anywhere, anytime! I don't think 300,000 is that far off............ Maybe 350,000.......
I have about the same mileage as you and in case you misunderstood, I am not implying that the 1500 can't reach 300,000 or whatever, quite the contrary.

"means nil", however, I though was exaggerated.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Of course it was exaggerated, it was intended so to make a point. However there is a fellow in this area who has a '93 with 396,000 when I last saw it a month or so ago as well as one on eBay last year with 515,000 so it's not a major exaggeration. My 1500 was still running like new when I sold it with a bit over 175,000 miles on it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.