Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Magic Moderator
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ding bat roommates have locked the two computer printers on the trailer and they're both inaccessible and I was getting tired of senior housing applications backing up and not being sent out. Tonight I said the heck with this and when I did my shopping at Wally-world I purchased a nice Epson printer for home use an Expression Home XP-446, works great and everything is ready for the mail. What I like about the printer is that it has 4 ink cartridges instead of two. :smile2:

·
Administrator
22,284 Posts
I've been a fan of Epson printers since my very first (black ink only) printer purchase, back in the dark ages. A quick comparison of print quality showed it to be far superior to any other ink jet and comparable to the laser printers.

Then the reality of the desert air set in and the print heads clogged. Epson replaced them for free and they clogged again. After a couple of those rounds I bought a cheap substitute unit, I can't remember the brand, and it gave me good service while waiting for the Epson to be repaired. Eventually I gave the Epson to Goodwill and kept the sub.

Then bought a better model of the sub and used it until I chanced upon a bargain on another Epson. A "Stylus PHOTO 320". Everything you could want in a printer and the photo quality was comparable to what the labs produced.

Then the reality of the desert air set in...

Now I'm using a Canon Pixma 2520 that I picked up for around 30 bucks at Wal-Mart.

The moral of this story is; well crap, there isn't one.

But remember, you now live in the desert.

·
Administrator
58,955 Posts
I too favor Epson over HP "junk"

last summer, I got us a new Epson ET-2550
what I really like about that printer model, is that it has four ink tanks,
and the ink comes in bottles for under $3 bux each.

I can open a lid and visually see the ink levels, but, their printing app comes up each time you print and shows you visually how much ink is in each tank.

KISS, gotta love it.

·
Magic Moderator
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder if putting it back in the bag and box would help. It was $49.48 before taxes, not too bad. I had heard that Epson made good printers and that's why I bought one. Tom has an expensive Brother Laser printer and an HP that gets used for scanning. This one will have light usage.

·
Administrator
58,955 Posts
Val,

our Epson printer that I just commented on, was only used for BW printing for over 15 months because of my wife being so sick, and our daughter and I living at the hospitals, etc.....
we just did not have time to be doing anything that required printing..

well, it got to where it would only print Black and one other color .....
we went thru about 20 cleaning cycles before it started almost printing a decent color photo.

after that, we made a point of printing color photos at least once a week.
I made up a MS Word document that prints on one of the colors at a time, plus a bunch of other test patterns. I try to remember to run that document at least once a week.

it now prints just as good as it did when new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts