Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was asking a few days ago about cooler racks and hauling items safely. Well, today I finally got a cooler rack! I'm sure that it will be handy.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

So, which one did you settle on? Waiting on mine to be delivered. Ordered the Hitch receiver then I went w Kuryakyn for the 12x18 size which looks to have good strapping locations. I hesitated when i saw the larger Rivco 18x30 but felt that something just as wide as the motorcycle might become a problem - especially seeing the lights or turning corners.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

Have you rode your bike with the rack attached? It looks like it would drag going in & out of any driveway. For the uninformed, what is the ground clearance at the rear of the rack? Thanks....-Rich

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Redeye1620 wrote:
Have you rode your bike with the rack attached? It looks like it would drag going in & out of any driveway. For the uninformed, what is the ground clearance at the rear of the rack? Thanks....-Rich
I have not ridden it yet.
Ground clearance, measured from the floor to the bottom of the square tubing at the back edge of the rack, is 9 3/4 inches. That measurement was taken with the bike straight up and not setting on either stand.

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
imported post

I'm going to be fixing something like that for my trike this spring.

And I always heard "Size matters"

Now I meant how many Pepsi's and sandwiches you can take along......................what were you all thinking?????:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Today, after looking at it some more, I decided to get a little more ground clearance by mounting it on the ball mount, as shown in the ad. I gained 2 more inches of ground clearance this way. Now it has PLENTY of clearance!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

One thing to consider is whether your license plate is visible when that carrier is loaded. If it's obstructed it gives any LEO a legitmate reason to stop you.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

I have one like this on my '08 1800 and I love it! The vertical receiver hitch is great. We rode from Central Texas to Key West and had no problems with it dragging in turns.

I installed medium size "key rings" in the holes and it made hooking up the bungee cords a lot easier.

The biggest problem we had was devising a way to keep the rain off the luggage. Finally we just put a garbage bag over the luggage, put the expandable "spider web" bungee over the whole package, hooked the spider web to the key rings and hit the wind.

Chief

San Antonio Combat Vets Association

San Antonio Patriot Guard Riders

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

LloydM wrote:
Don't overdo it :D

I saw one of the roofed 1800s with a matching trailer at a gas station here. I had to circle back and give it a once over. His bride/lady friend laughed and said don't laugh as I climb in. She was a Rubenest lady and had to climb up on the front seat, get her legs behind her and then back into the rear seat. Once she was in there she looked comfortable.

A really neat tourer. They were from the southwest and said it really helped on those never ending sunny days.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

If you want to carry a cooler, that's probably OK. But if you want to carry actual useful stuff, here's another idea. I welded up a holder for a Rubbermaid box to hold our camping gear. It holds 2 sleeping bags, tent, 2 sleeping pads, numerous pillows, mosquito repelling devices & flashlights. The box cost about $25. The steel cost maybe $15 and fits into a standard receiver. I've used it on trips from Seattle to Florida and Alaska with no problems. I useda stainless cable to be able to lock the box so we could leave the bike, say at a store or restaurant, without any undue fear of having our stuff ripped off.

I'd built a similar setup prior with a smaller box which was not too useful. The one in the picture is tilted upward which I highly recommend. The first attempt with the small box would hit ground sometimes when exiting gas stations and such where there was a gutter depression. It was supported straight out like the cooler holder. The cooler holder commercially available does not tilt upward and I'll bet it's a problem when hitting a gutter. The cooler holder, however, was the inspiration for the Rubbermaid holder - so I'm grateful for the idea.

Oh, that's Hanko behind the bike.

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Terry,
Thanks, I will have to do that for next years trip W/O the trailer. It was nice to have the storage of the trailer but would have had a little more fun on some of the twisties with your setup.

:action:

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
imported post

Hi Terry. That looks surprisingly good. Do you have any more pictures please? One from the side, for example, or close-ups of how the box is attached to the bike?

Thanks, Nicholas.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

While looking at the rubber maid box on the hitch, I noticed the carrier on top of the tour kit. I have read several threads referring to the tour kit lid rubbing the paint off when subjected to the weight of all the stuff we put on top. Below is a link to a cure that I am going to invest in. I'm sure it could be fabricated easily if one had the time, tools, and inclination. I have the time, but lack the other two requisites. Check it out. It may be worth your while, too.

Chief

http://wingriderproducts.com/

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.