Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had the opportunity to get out and ride this year due to various obligations and weather. Until yesterday that is.
Well I jumped on the 'wing and headed out.
For about 1 mile.
The 'wing just didn't feel right, so back home I went. I started checking things out and then realized I hadn't done anything to the 'wing before I took off.
Started over again and ran down the check list. Got to Check Tire Air Pressure and found the culprit.
20psi front and 23psi rear :shock:
Air compressor came out and I aired up the front to 40psi and the rear to 42psi.
I claim winterization of the brain. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :?
The ride will wait for tomorrow while I get my grey matter back in the right frame of mind for riding.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Hey, be thankful you caught it before it caught you. I remember when I used to fly and went a couple weeks without getting in the air, it was too easy to just enjoy the flying without being entirely focused on important things. And many times I'd be at 3,500' and realize the plane was way ahead of me. Eventually I'd catch up and the things I had to focus on again became instinctive, but until then it was a big case of catch-up.

Same with the bike - if I go a couple weeks not riding and then finally get out I really have to focus on basics such as countersteering, smooth downshifts, braking for turns, etc until things come back to me and become automatic again.

Happens to us all, I suppose - just glad you're ok :)

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
many times I'd be at 3,500' and realize the plane was way ahead of me. Eventually I'd catch up and the things I had to focus on again became instinctive, but until then it was a big case of catch-up.
Not being a pilot, I'm not really sure what you mean by "the plane was way ahead of me." Also, how does one "catch up"?

Steve

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Not being a pilot, I'm not really sure what you mean by "the plane was way ahead of me." Also, how does one "catch up"?

Steve
Have you ever been daydreaming and don`t remember the last 5 mi you just rode? Rode safely of course but don`t remember the event. That`s "BEING BEHIND... "Wake up" and go HEY.... pay attention.............and then continue on riding...going back to the safe riding practices you have been using for years...that`s "CATCHING UP". Doesn`t matter your ride....plane, bike, car, etc......it happens to all of us ......

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts

Steve
Do you know how to roller (or ice) skate?
If you get on the skates after a long layoff...you won't be at the top of your game for awhile. Flying is that way, but it demands a wider variety of mental and physical skills be sharpened. Adding that 3rd dimension (up & down), navigation, radio work, compensating for weather conditions during takeoff/landing, etc. can keep a pilot pretty busy.

I bought the 'Wing after several years away from motorcycling and my first ride on her brought to mind just how rusty I was, and how much a rider must be focused at all times to be safe. Never having ridden anything with the bulk of a 'Wing...it took some getting used to before I felt up to speed on it. I'll likely never master the bike...but few riders actually do. I'll be happy riding within my limitations.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
There are a lot of things a person has to do in taking off, making the take off run, lifting off, establishing a climb rate and speed, getting the gear up, adjusting the flaps trimming the airplane to fly hands off at the chosen speed, adjusting the mixture, propeller pitch and throttle to establish the power setting needed, keeping watch that no traffic is in your area, using the radio to deal with the FAA or other aircraft, selecting the proper fuel tank is selected, etc. not necessarily in that order.
If you're competent and current on the given aircraft all this is darn near automatic and it's easy to do. If you're not very current on the aircraft or just a bit rusty all those adjustments and chores come very fast at you meaning you're behind the airplane. In other words slow and late doing the things that need to be done. What should be easy can bring a big sweat to the unprepared.
It's the same though a little simpler on a bike. Being deep in a twisty with hard metal scraping the ground, very close to crossing the centerlne and not being sure what to do is letting the bike get ahead of you.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
"Winterization" in Tennessee? Try Minnesota....hell it's July before I've got my sh*t together!:ROFL:

·
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Winterization" in Tennessee? Try Minnesota....hell it's July before I've got my sh*t together!:ROFL:
Born and raised on a farm about 1/3 of the way from Rochester to Austin. I know about MN winters.
But if you REALLY want to talk winter, I've been on the ice at the north pole. :raspberry:
Yes, winterization in TN. The bike was stored in the garage and I was too eager to get a ride in. I didn't do my normal check list before the first ride of the year.
Winterization, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.