Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 gl1500 with a tulsa tall windshield and I absolutly hate it. But my wife likes the wind protection it gives her. Is there a windshield that I can look over and still have good wind protection for my wife? Im leaning towards a wind bender or maybe a cee baileys.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I asked similar question about my Slip Stream Tall, overwhelming response was Cee Bailey, but the responses suggested varying heights...so far I havent made up my mind...good luck

·
Premium Member
152 Posts

We have a WindBender windshield and the back seat loves it as much as I do... no beffeting for her and I can look over the top without a problem. It's like riding in a car with the window rolled down or a convertable with the windows rolled up! I just set it and forget it. the electric adjuster would probably be a waste of time since it never moves from where it is best...

·
Premium Member
67,676 Posts
Or you can cut down the one you have

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses and Thank you Quinn for posting a pic of your bike with the windbender, Thats the one i will probably go with. I thought about cutting mine down. But I read that the buffetting was really bad with a tulsa cut down shorter because of the angle of the shield.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I went to a Cee Baileys with the vent in it and I got the 2" taller one, I am 6'4 so I set it up where I can look over it or put my head down a little and look through it and the vent helps a lot, now when a truck passes me on a 2 lane I hardly feel it and no buffeting what so ever. That wind bender is sharp looking though. Good luck.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
The woman who hangs around here hasn't complained about buffeting with the Cee Bailey I put on my 1500. It was a stock height, non vented model. I ended up cutting it down about an inch to make it more comfortable to see over because I won't ride a bike with a shield I can't see comfortably over the top. I like to be able to see the ground about 50-60' ahead over the top of the windshield.
I think the Wind Bender would be a good one to try. I haven't tried one but do have a Silverwing scooter with a Givi Adjustable which is quite similar. The buffeting with the stock screen was a real bother but the new Givi was great. In cold weather I can raise it and in warmer weather I can run it all the way down and it still keeps the main wind blast off my helmet as well as the bugs with no buffeting.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

We have a WindBender windshield and the back seat loves it as much as I do... no beffeting for her and I can look over the top without a problem. It's like riding in a car with the window rolled down or a convertable with the windows rolled up! I just set it and forget it. the electric adjuster would probably be a waste of time since it never moves from where it is best...
Is that the 14" or the 17" top shield kit? How tall are you?

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
I went to a Cee Baileys with the vent in it and I got the 2" taller one, I am 6'4 so I set it up where I can look over it or put my head down a little and look through it and the vent helps a lot, now when a truck passes me on a 2 lane I hardly feel it and no buffeting what so ever. That wind bender is sharp looking though. Good luck.
The riders height is the thing, what work for one rider may be useless for someone shorter or taller. The Ceebaileys is wider than the OEM shield and that is probably also important.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Looks like the 14". I plan on putting a clear 14" on the next Goldwing I buy which with luck will be this spring.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
+1 on the Windbenders ...

... Even with a Memphis Shades +2 all the way up the passenger had some buffeting. After the change to the Windbender I was able to slide stuff to even kill the wind noise from her mic.

(Base all the way up, added the inch from the track mounting option, and the tall ST top shield. With the tall seat, my eyes were way above the shield - the difference in the high-speed wind resistance was noticeable compared to the Memphis +2, which is something that I've not seen mentioned here)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
+1 on the Windbenders ...

... Even with a Memphis Shades +2 all the way up the passenger had some buffeting. After the change to the Windbender I was able to slide stuff to even kill the wind noise from her mic.

(Base all the way up, added the inch from the track mounting option, and the tall ST top shield. With the tall seat, my eyes were way above the shield - the difference in the high-speed wind resistance was noticeable compared to the Memphis +2, which is something that I've not seen mentioned here)
How tall are you Stan? Tall torso or all legs?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
How tall are you Stan? Tall torso or all legs?
It's all relative... Office physical this year had me a 6'4" (193cm) - 35"(89cm) inseam, and normal-cut 2XL shirts can untuck if I raise my hands... so a little everywhere.

Appreciate that the Hartco in the photo is tall and holding all that higher up. After removing the Hartco for '95 OEM seat and re-installing the Memphis Shades +2 (al the way down), I'm looking nearly straight out at the top of the shield (yuk!). Im' sure the passenger's position is more protected with the lower seat / Memphis combination.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I ordered my windshield today. I called firecreek a couple times in the last few weeks and couldnt get a hold of anyone to answer my questions. I called Cee Baileys yesterday and talked to a really nice fellow that answered all my questions. I ended up ordering a stock height windshield with a vent installed.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I was happy with the Cee Bailey I put on my 1500. It was originally a stock height one that I ended up cutting down by about 1 1/2". The woman who hangs around here didn't complain when she was hanging around on the back of the 'Wing with the Cee Bailey. Nice thick shield too, quiet.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I have the Cee Baileys 2" shorter and in lowest position can just see over it .. Like it a lot The C B is stiffer than stock plus it is more square than stock narrowing just 1.1/2" compared to stock which is about 3" from bottom and top
The windshield hight depends on your size .. Me 5' 8

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I tried to cut down a windshield once, following the instructions in a magazine. The saw broke large chunks out of it all the way across, to big to polish down. I put a piece of car door edge guard around it, but it didn't cover the chips.

I looked at a couple of 1500s with those super tall windshields on them, the kind that almost wrap over your head forming a roof. I knew that would be the first thing to go. I won't ride with a windshield I can't see over. If I buy a bike like that, I will most likely replace the shield with a Slipstreamer oem replacement like I did on my 1200. The one for the 1200 was only $70 and works fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.