Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay, I picked up the car tire today from the shipping place.

Dunlop Winter Sport ROF 175.60.R16 About $155 delivered from Tire Rack.

Initial impressions:

It is not as TALL as the Michelin PilotGT I am running now.

I have to figure this will lower the back a bit. But this shouldn't be a problem as I am having a bit of trouble reaching the ground since I installed the Corbin seat.

It has a lot of tread and I like the pattern. It makes me feel like Studley Hungwell just looking at it.

I specifically picked this tire because:

1. The bottom appears more round than most other CT's, which I am hoping will help the handling. The Valkyrie has a 205 Goodyear and it does have a rear wander on uneven surfaces and stands up faster out of the curves.

2. The 175 seemed as wide as I dare go... although I have heard of folks running the 195 with only 3mm on either side. That is a bit tight for my taste and it seems it would make removing the rear tire a complete bee-otch. (The Valk is a complete nightmare... I usually end up getting frustrated and just pulling the rear rend too.)

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I thought about trying this tire on my Valkyrie. What is the diameter of it? I think the more narrow tread would be easier to maneauver than the wider ones some are using.

Dubs

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Dub,

Agreed. I left my camera at work. Check back here when you see updates. I was going to use a yardstick and a framing square to take some side by side comparisons and to show how much more round that bottom is than my Goodyear Triple Tread.

This thing seems to have a stiffer sidewall than the TTA... but the crown is a good deal rounder.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info! I will be putting on a new tire this winter and am very interested in going with a more narrow car tire in the proper diameter. I have followed bikes for hundreds of miles now, that friends are running and I am very impressed with how well they handle in the curves. I have never seen a car tire roll over onto the sidewall and the contact patch on the ground in curves is as much or more than a motorcycle tire in every instance. Can't wait to see your pics of yours!

Dubs

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Okay, so here are the pictures:

This is a general frontal shot. The yardstick on the left indicates the diameter of the new tire unmounted. The framing square indicates width.

A detail shot of the yardstick indication diameter. Loose and unmounted

A detail shot of the crown width. Sorry to the folks overseas... measurement instruments are in Empirical fractional standard. Still very common in the states.

More to come as I mount and ride this tire...

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

Have been runnin one on my 88 for about 3500 to 4000 miles and I will not return to an mc . I just finished this ppast weekend a 700 mile trip that included most of the BRP and coming back we took old 58 in Va ( the crooked road ) across white top mountain to Damascus Va. The wintersport performed perfectly as always. I have slid it in wet clumped up grass , deep gravel , and some loose mug. But any tire will slide when there is no traction. Given an equal playing field I am sure it outperforms ANY mc i HAVE RUN.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

giturgun wrote:
Have been runnin one on my 88 for about 3500 to 4000 miles and I will not return to an mc . I just finished this ppast weekend a 700 mile trip that included most of the BRP and coming back we took old 58 in Va ( the crooked road ) across white top mountain to Damascus Va. The wintersport performed perfectly as always. I have slid it in wet clumped up grass , deep gravel , and some loose mug. But any tire will slide when there is no traction. Given an equal playing field I am sure it outperforms ANY mc i HAVE RUN.
Actually Giturgun...

You were the final factor in my deciding on the wintersport. Like you, I do my research too. You were just the deciding straw that tipped me to the winterpsort. I went a bit narrower with the 175... I wanted more clearance and a rounder bottom. (Like most men I love round bottoms.) But after running darkside with the Valk for over a year... wanted to be able to get the rear tire off and on a bit easier. 4evermetric in Onalaska, Wa (and 'prolly Dub too.) can attest to how hard it is to pull a wide 195+ darkside tire off a Valk. So I compromised on my wing with a 175. we'll see how it runs... and I'll post everything I can think of, or photograph of here.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

I have the same tire on my 88, only have around 1000 miles on it and I am very satisfied with it. I don't plan to ever go back to a MC. It takes 2 people to mount it by hand using tire irons, but it can be done. Get a friend and a 12 pack and go for it.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

OK, Looks like I will be trying this tire on my Valkyrie. Not as manly as the 205s a lot run but I believe it will handle more like a motorcycle tire and give all the benefits of a car tire. Thanks for the pics!

Dubs

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Once inflated it will be even rounder than the pics that you show above.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

My E3 still has a lot of km's left in it so I won't be changing it until it is gone.

What pressure are you going to run it at ? Or for those who have had it for a while what are you running at ?

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

us385south wrote:
4evermetric in Onalaska, Wa (and 'prolly Dub too.) can attest to how hard it is to pull a wide 195+ darkside tire off a Valk.
(Raising right hand) "I hereby attest that it isapain the the rearto get a Goodyear TT off a Valkyrie."

That okay?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Hodgy wrote:
... What pressure are you going to run it at ? Or for those who have had it for a while what are you running at ?
> I use 41psi on the wintersport, which I arrived at by testing to attain a full contact patch across the width of the tire; my first one at 20k miles was evenly worn across the center section.

> Someone recently posted about experiencing an annoying wobble with this tire... I believe the cause was due to their use of a lower pressure, 30 psi as I recall. If that's the cause, then i'd say that the higher pressure makes for a more Rounded profile (or One high spot in the center of the tire rather than 2 on the edges)

·
Premium Member
12,729 Posts
imported post

I am itching to pull the trigger on a Wintersport . Waiting to read a bit more about theROF on the 1500. Anyone running this tire in southern high temp climates , summertime ? 2 up loads ?

I guess actually several of you in this thread qualify as southern . I just wonder about hight asphalt temps added to 2 up loading in summer weather .

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

Well I have two Friends with Valks that are already on the DS, So I have been watching all of the GW GL1500 threads on this with interest. But I was in no hurry to cross-over seeing as I had still had a lot of life left in my Pilot GT's That was until my rear tire ate a piece of scrap metal on my Sunday ride. So I pulled the trigger & I now have a Wintersport ROF on the way from Tire Rack, so I will soon get a chance to see what it is like on the "Dark Side" :)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
I am itching to pull the trigger on a Wintersport . Waiting to read a bit more about theROF on the 1500. Anyone running this tire in southern high temp climates , summertime ? 2 up loads ?

I guess actually several of you in this thread qualify as southern . I just wonder about hight asphalt temps added to 2 up loading in summer weather .
> Yes, the wintersport works fine in all temperatures. Can't tell any difference in traction from 25F - 110F, even riding 2-up with trailer.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Alrighty... my Blue Ox is floating in the air and the rear wheel is off. This is a side by side comparison with the Wintersport 175 along side the Michelin Pilot GT.

The Pilot is mounted and the winter Sport is loose...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Even MORE updates. I have the tire mounted.[line]

Just less than 3/4" smaller in total diameter.
I actually believe this tire is about 1/4" less wide that the Michelin GT, alleviating clearance issues altogether.
[line]

Just a tad bit thinner... and should lower the bike about 3/4".

I am deep into winter service on the wing. Installing a CB, and a gob load of other things I have been postponing... so riding it will have to wait for awhile. Wanted to get the wheel back on so I can move the bike around...

More to come.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

The wheel is back on the bike... I needed to get it re-installed beacuse I need to have the option of moving the bike around. I would say that the wheel went back on easier than the Pilot GT. (Of course, that could just be that I am getting better at this.)

I must say that if this tire rides anything like it looks on the bike this is going to be a killer tire.

Alright you 1800 guys... where do i get one of those Darth Vader darksider decals? Cuz... I'm there, baby!

<!--insert sound byte of the Imperial March here-->

[align=center]"Once down the path to the dark side you begin...
Forever will it dominate your destiny!"
Yoda... a long, long time ago.
[/align]
Cheers... gotta jet for now...

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

congrats, now go get your cookies. :)

1 - 20 of 161 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.