Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Have any of you guys with the smaller diameter CTs checked gas mileage with them? I was wondering how much decrease you'd see. If the CTs have less rolling resistance the loss of mileage because of the smaller diameter might be somewhat evened out.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

42 to 44 mpg for me when traveling in summer weather. 13,000 miles on the Formosa to date. It is not higher rpm's causing less gas mileage. The weight and gravity is the same on bikes equipped with ct and mt therefore the mileage is the same.

When I traveled down to Crater Lake with two other 1500's we compared speed / rpm and mileage. We all did the same with the speed / mileage. At 70 mph, I was running 300 higher rpm.

So, I can only go 115 mph rather than 120 due to the limiter. Oh well, I will get there just as fast.

Oh well, with darkside tires, we get cookies:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I have not got my cookie yet and I have the Taxi tire and a rear on the front also, so do I get 2 cookies?

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Well, it is kinda like Cyber Sex.... Have a Cyber Cookie. A no strings attached kind of thing. The taste is not that great but it isn't hard on the diet.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Dang, that poor girl.
I been watching her pour that batter for 20 minutes, I don't think she'll ever get that pan filled at this rate!

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Have any of you guys with the smaller diameter CTs checked gas mileage with them? I was wondering how much decrease you'd see. If the CTs have less rolling resistance the loss of mileage because of the smaller diameter might be somewhat evened out.
I"m ready to change my Formosa with approx 30,000 miles & there has been no change in my gas consumption, I"ll be going with another Formosa for next season.:action::action:

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Chromo wrote:
Dang, that poor girl.
I been watching her pour that batter for 20 minutes, I don't think she'll ever get that pan filled at this rate!
Have a glass of wine as you wait for you cookie:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

larryinseattle wrote:
Chromo wrote:
Dang, that poor girl.
Have a glass of wine as you wait for you cookie:

Good one.
At this rate the only way I'll get any wine or substance will be to eat the cork! :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

I want to know how she can hold that pot up in the air so long :D

I don't have huge mileage on my Wintersport yet, but my mileage has stayed consistant. Hasn't been good either way (30 - 35 depending on where I go) and I need to work on it this winter to figure out why.

Pat

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

I'm gonna get a cookie n wine n all that is good.
Headed to the tire shop now to get my Dunlop Wintersport put on. Later guys.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
> I get a consistent 40 mpg on my Wintersport, cruising at hwy speeds.
(eg No difference than when using a Dunlop E3)

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
imported post

jpelmer wrote:
I want to know how she can hold that pot up in the air so long.
I didn't even notice she was holding a pot!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

OK, I was looking at the tire pressure monitoring valve systems(as Rudy mentioned). They only go to 44 psi. I was thinking about a system that goes to 50 psi but run the tire at 41. Then it would show yellow at 37psi. The 44 psi monitors show a yellow color,which would be 33psi a 25% drop. At a 30% drop they show red. Wouldn't it be feasible just to check your air pressure regularly and catch it before it drops that much?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
OK, I was looking at the tire pressure monitoring valve systems(as Rudy mentioned). They only go to 44 psi. I was thinking about a system that goes to 50 psi but run the tire at 41. Then it would show yellow at 37psi. The 44 psi monitors show a yellow color,which would be 33psi a 25% drop. At a 30% drop they show red. Wouldn't it be feasible just to check your air pressure regularly and catch it before it drops that much?
Steve...

Post a pic of what that WS looks like on Pegasus.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I asked about the mileage with the smaller diameter rear tire because there have been many on the forum who wanted another higher gear for improved fuel economy. I've always felt that wouldn't make much difference in fuel economy. If putting a smaller rear tire on the bike doesn't increase the fuel burn then adding a sixth gear wouldn't be likely to improve the fuel burn either.A 300rpm difference isn't all that far off the usual steps in the transmission which are pretty close to 500rpm so it's not likely the higher gear would do any good.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
I bought the set of 4 tire pressure monitor valve stems off of ebay, $8.00 shipping included. I selected the 40 psi model. As long as my tires are above 40 psi, I don't care where they are. I will check my tires once in awhile any ways just to verify that those monitors are doing what they are supposed to do. I am waiting for the delivery.

These were the same ones at Amazon.com for $19.95. Someone is gonna pipe up and say them got them for $4.00 and piss me off! lol

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I asked about the mileage with the smaller diameter rear tire because there have been many on the forum who wanted another higher gear for improved fuel economy. I've always felt that wouldn't make much difference in fuel economy. If putting a smaller rear tire on the bike doesn't increase the fuel burn then adding a sixth gear wouldn't be likely to improve the fuel burn either.A 300rpm difference isn't all that far off the usual steps in the transmission which are pretty close to 500rpm so it's not likely the higher gear would do any good.

Exavid – now I see where you’re going.

I am of the belief that the Honda engineers may have actually known what they were doing in designing their transmission.:) I have never seen any torque v. RPM spec sheet for the 1500, but I would think that the designers would have put some thought into good fuel economy.

Now, that being said, I don’t particularly like the top end on my Wing and adding about 300 rpm with the Wintersport just irritates that much more. I’m a progressive shifter from my years driving semi’s and right now, depending on terrain, I’m in OD around 1700 – 1800 rpm and around 33 – 35 mph. So now I smoothly accelerate on up to cruise and I’m cranking 3000 rpm. If the torque is there (which we know it is) we should be able to drop the rpm back down to 2200 – 2300 for a smoother, quieter, more fuel efficient ride. Less engine speed at PROPER torque equals lower fuel consumption. The problem is, if you’re below the torque curve you’re actually using MORE fuel than at higher rpm.

I am driving a Cadillac after all, not a Ferrari. :)

Pat

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

We are kind of bouncing back and forth aren't we. :jumper:

121 - 140 of 161 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.