141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

larryinseattle wrote:
DrifterTex wrote:
OK, I was looking at the tire pressure monitoring valve systems(as Rudy mentioned). They only go to 44 psi. I was thinking about a system that goes to 50 psi but run the tire at 41. Then it would show yellow at 37psi. The 44 psi monitors show a yellow color,which would be 33psi a 25% drop. At a 30% drop they show red. Wouldn't it be feasible just to check your air pressure regularly and catch it before it drops that much?
I bought the set of 4 tire pressure monitor valve stems off of ebay, $8.00 shipping included. I selected the 40 psi model. As long as my tires are above 40 psi, I don't care where they are. I will check my tires once in awhile any ways just to verify that those monitors are doing what they are supposed to do. I am waiting for the delivery.

These were the same ones at Amazon.com for $19.95. Someone is gonna pipe up and say them got them for $4.00 and piss me off! lol

Larry, which brand??? and at what psi does the yellow(warning) indicator show? The one I am looking at is set for 44psi, shows green until psi reaches 33,which is a25% drop then will show a yellow warning. A red warning will show at a 30 % drop (30 psi). I would like the warning to show sooner. If I run 41 or 42 I would like the yellow warning at say 39psi. Of course, I might not get it.

US385....I will as soon as I get it on. Tire is on rim now. Have field trips keeping me busy. I Hope to get it back on the bike Saturday....unles a trip comes up. Later all, gotta drive.:waving:

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I like the lower gear ratio. When I am in high gear, I don't have to downshift when I slow down to 30 mph unless I have to speed up in a hurry.

The difference between the stock tire and the Formosa tire is not that significant.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Larry, which brand??? and at what psi does the yellow(warning) indicator show? The one I am looking at is set for 44psi, shows green until psi reaches 33,which is a25% drop then will show a yellow warning. A red warning will show at a 30 % drop (30 psi). I would like the warning to show sooner. If I run 41 or 42 I would like the yellow warning at say 39psi. Of course, I might not get it.

US385....I will as soon as I get it on. Tire is on rim now. Have field trips keeping me busy. I Hope to get it back on the bike Saturday....unles a trip comes up. Later all, gotta drive.:waving:
This is the link on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170714808490?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

There was a "best offer" option which I put $8.00 on it. My bid was accepted.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
OK, I was looking at the tire pressure monitoring valve systems(as Rudy mentioned). They only go to 44 psi. I was thinking about a system that goes to 50 psi but run the tire at 41. Then it would show yellow at 37psi. The 44 psi monitors show a yellow color,which would be 33psi a 25% drop. At a 30% drop they show red. Wouldn't it be feasible just to check your air pressure regularly and catch it before it drops that much?
I believe that the reason for the monitoring system is because of using the run flat tires. If you pick up a nail, and the tire loses all it's air pressure you won't know it, and eventually the tire will give out. So with a monitoring system, if you pick up a nail and lose the air, you will be alerted so that you still have 50 miles or so to get someplace to get it repaired. The smaller losses you would still catch by checking your tires regularly.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
imported post

Wolfman wrote:
I believe that the reason for the monitoring system is because of using the run flat tires. If you pick up a nail, and the tire loses all it's air pressure you won't know it, and eventually the tire will give out. So with a monitoring system, if you pick up a nail and lose the air, you will be alerted so that you still have 50 miles or so to get someplace to get it repaired. The smaller losses you would still catch by checking your tires regularly.
Agreed...

It's more about catastrophic air loss at speed than regular checking.... all this makes perfect sense to me... just scratchin' my head as to why I didnlt think if this BEFORE I mounted my WS-ROF. Prolly pull mine and retro fit a monitor before the summer season anyway. Let me justify this by saying... "gotta watch those splines."

Right now it's just good to have the old girl on the ground and running...

Just tonight I pulled both girls out and sweeped and policed the Culleycave. I am cycling directly into a light service round with the Valk. Rear wheel and all that entails. Front pads... fluid changes... and hopefully a J&M CB unit install...

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

Makes more sense with that explanation. Hope to get tire on bike this Sat. am. Have to work Saturday afternoon. Then maybe try it Sunday.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I been thinking on this some.

For TPM system I think I would prefer the screw on caps type.
Should be easy enough and quick to unscrew the caps and put on other bike when you have more than 1 bike.
Only need one system!

Also those in the wheel units all look bulky and heavy to me, looking at pictures. I wonder how far out of balance they make the wheels?

For now most cost more than I want to pay anyway and I am not running a ROF anyway so though I'd like a system anyway I don't really need it.
Would be nice for just checking tires before each ride and not have to mess with gauges and stems. Why do bike wheels normally stop valve side up anyway LOL
Hidden behind something.

I was using those color indicating caps on my 1100. I think I will put a set on the 1500

As I recall on the caps, I think full pressure pushes the green out full, as pressure lowers I think it still just showing green but you see less of it, I think. Then when low enough it starts showing red.

So if I used a 44psi cap on my 48psi tire, full green I'd know at a glance I am around 44psi or more.
Half green showing maybe 40PSI, and if red starts to show I know I am pretty low for some reason.
This might work well for my front tire also. I run it at 42psi so a 44psi cap should work well anyway.
Some reason it seems my front tire likes to be at 35PSI, still not found a leak. I air up to 42PSI and a few days later I end up at 35PSI. I need a cap on that one so I can watch it all the time with a quick glance.
Stays fine sometimes for a few days at 42PSI, then maybe over night it will drop to 35PSI sometimes.
I think I need to move my Gremlin Bell out in front of that tire maybe instead of behind it. LOL

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Oh, I normally check my tires each day before a ride with a gauge. Unless I am starting out from home around 3-4AM then I check when I get to a well lit place on pavement.
When the bike sits for days at a time I notice front tire seems to drop to 35psi and stay there.
If I'm riding every day I check every day and air up as needed of course.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

Chromo, the TPMS caps that I have been looking at show green until the reach a 25% drop in air pressure. So a 44 psi cap would will show yellow at 33 psi and the red at a 30% drop which would be 30.8 psi. This is assuming that the TPMS caps are accurate.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

The ones I have on my valve stems show yellow if they are 4 PSI under and red at 10 PSI under. :?

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

Thanks Dusty. I like those better.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Chromo:

I have cheap caps from Wal-mart. They just show green, or nothing. Helps my simple mind.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

Sweet, I am now all torqued out and officially "Darkside" . :applause:

Just have to lower trunk and put everything else back together. Hope to finish up and test ride tomorrow,since I have to work this afternoon.

Dang why does work always come up. :stumped:

Guess cause I can't retire yet. Later all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

I like "simple" 4evermetric.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
Sweet, I am now all torqued out and officially "Darkside" .

Just have to lower trunk and put everything else back together. Hope to finish up and test ride tomorrow,since I have to work this afternoon.

Dang why does work always come up.

Guess cause I can't retire yet. Later all.
Drifter... that Wintersport looks good on your back end. Ease into it. Get used to it. Learn to trust it. I would suspect after a week you'll be wondering what all the fuss is about.

For the life of me, I can't tell I'm riding darkside on the WS. That is an excellent tire.

T

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

It's official..I am a Darksider:action:.......Got it all back together today and went for aride (about 35 miles)on the Wintersport. Rode great, was very quite, quiter than the E3. Handled great.It seemed there might have been adifference in handling, very slight, but then again, it could be that I know the wintersport car tireis on the bike. Other than that it wasawesome. It does sit lower. Will have to be careful with the sidestand. RPM's are a tad bit higher but not much. It actually seems themotor runs quiter.

Ihave been transformed.:bow:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

Running a 205.55.16 on my 2008 I have about 4500 miles on the Kumo. I got a nail at about 3000 miles. Plug with no problem aired with co 2 .

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

Running a 205.55.16 on my 2008 I have about 4500 miles on the Kumo. I got a nail at about 3000 miles. Plug with no problem aired with co 2 .

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
It's official..I am a Darksider:action:.......Got it all back together today and went for aride (about 35 miles)on the Wintersport. Rode great, was very quite, quiter than the E3. Handled great.It seemed there might have been adifference in handling, very slight, but then again, it could be that I know the wintersport car tireis on the bike. Other than that it wasawesome. It does sit lower. Will have to be careful with the sidestand. RPM's are a tad bit higher but not much. It actually seems themotor runs quiter.

Ihave been transformed.:bow:
I too have to agree that the bikes seems quieter over all. However for me, that isn't always a positive thing. I am sooooo compulsive about my Babe.

I find my self wondering... "What's that! What's that squeek? And that??? What's that rubbing noise... and THAT??? What is that whirring sound??" I swear i can hear the electricity flowing through wires.

I have also noticed that braking sounds weigh heavily on my mind. I can hear the danged rotors slipping through the pads. It's positively un-nerving!

Man-o-man that tire looks good on your bike.

141 - 160 of 161 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.