Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

OK I found the power draw it is going through the fuse in the acc terminal fuse box . If I pull the fuse out that is marked [back up] its 5 amp's and just below the tail light fuse. What dose it mean [back up] and what dose this fuse service . Why is it not dead when the ignition is off with key out. Can some one in lighten me on my dilemma. Now I am driving around with the fuse out.

·
Administrator
26,997 Posts
imported post

That fuse powers the memory on the radio and also the trunk light, it might be staying on.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

I have the manual for this bike and it is really vague for the fuse box and fuse designation for each one.

·
Administrator
26,997 Posts
imported post

eddy wrote:
What fuse powers the clock in the dash.
It is the same fuse. I just neglected putting that in before.

·
Administrator
26,997 Posts
imported post

That is odd, pull the #10 fuse and see if the clock goes off.If it does there is power from the ignition switch acc position. Does the radio maintain it's preset stations with the #13 fuse out?

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

# 10 powers the clock and # 9 the one I was originally talking about found one of its functions it works the tap deck and for some reason stays on all the time even with the key out of the ignition . So I am thinking , just leave the fuse out. The rest of the radio seams to work fine.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

I think the clock will work with the Back Up fuse pulled, it just won't maintain the time when you switch the Ignition OFF, then ON.
The Back Up 5 amp fuse supplies power at all times to: CB Radio Memory, Radio/Cassette Deck Memory, Clock Memory, and the Trunk Light.
The Back Up fuse is #9 in the 1989 Honda Service Manual, and #13 in the 1994 HondaService Manual. What year is your GL 1500?
Picture below is from the 1989 Manual but same as the 1984 Manual except for the fuse number. Wire colors and connectors are the same.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

eddy wrote:
# 10 powers the clock and # 9 the one I was originally talking about found one of its functions it works the tap deck and for some reason stays on all the time even with the key out of the ignition . So I am thinking , just leave the fuse out. The rest of the radio seams to work fine.
I understand that you don't have a Trunk Light installed that Dave0430 mentioned in the #2 post above???
Someway power from #9 fuse is connected to the Tape Deck part of your Radio/Cassette Deck. Fuse #9 should only supply power for the memory of the preset and last set radio stations in the Radio/Cassette Deck. The problem may be inside the Radio/Cassette Deck or maybe at the connector on the back of the Radio/Cassette Deck. The Tape Deck should still work with fuse #9 pulled.
If you leave #9 fuse out you will not have memory for the last CB channel, Radio Presets, or the Clock. Each will have to be reset each time you turnON the Ignition Switch.
I believe I would check the 18 pin White connector on the back of the Radio/Cassette Deck paying particular attention to the Red withYellow tracer wire looking for corrosion or any way the Red/Yellow wire isleaking powerto another wire/pin. If you decide that the problem is inside the Radio/Cassette Deck, you have three options; send it in for repair, replace it, or,remove the Red/Yellow wire pin from the 18 pin connector. Removing the Red/Yellow wire would not be my choice but a least you would have the CB channel memory, clock memory, and if you have one, the Trunk Lightworking.
Dave0430 is excellent on these type problems, maybe he will have other suggestions.
You also might place your year/model Goldwing information in your signature block on your profile, thenevery time you post, members will know the information. There were somedifferences in the earlier year to later year GL 1500 models.

·
Administrator
26,997 Posts
imported post

Somehow I assumed this was an aspy or SE. Apparently it is an interstate. The difference being the # of the fuses, all else still applies. One thing you need to do is find out how much power is being drawn. If you have or can borrow a multimeter set it to DC miliamps and connect the probes to the #9 fuse contacts and let us know what the reading is.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

It is just a GL1500 1990 . Nothing special I am sorry for the confusion and will put the info in my profile for next time . Now I have a direction and the areas to look at . I dont know what I would do with out this web site and the people involved . You have never let me down with any of my problems ,time after time . Kudos to all of you .

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Now the year of bike is entered on my profile. Never thought that ,thanks Wichita .

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

:waving:eddy, this post is forclarification and information for early year GL 1500 owners. You very well may have the same Fuse/Relay Box as my 1989 GL 1500.
My memory and research finds:
1988 and 1989-GL 1500. (No SE, Aspencade or Interstate)
1990-The GL 1500 SE model was added along with a GL 1500. (No Aspencade or Interstate)
1991-The GL 1500 Interstate model was added along with a GL 1500 SE and the GL 1500 now called an Aspencade.
There are many differences(in what fuses and relays control) inthe Fuse/Relay box between the 1989 and 1994 Honda Manuals, along with the different numbering. I am not sure what year Honda made the changes to the Fuse/Relay Box but I think it was in 1991 when they introduced the Interstate model.
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/buyersguide/Honda-GoldWing-GL1500-GL1500I-GWInterstate-GL1500SE-GL1500A-Aspencade.htm

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

If that fuse serves the trunk light I'd suspect that first and pull the bulb to see if you have a stuck switch.

You could also open the trunk after it has been sitting and see if the bulb is warm.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Wichita Now that I have the schematic,s for the wiring . I will just eliminate each unit till I have the heavy draw. Thanks. One more request Wichita ,do you have the diagram for the fuse designation on my 90 wing I would like to copy it and keep the info for future references

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.