Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am new to the forum and welcome everyone from Poland - and i need help right away.

I have a problem with my Gl 1200 1985, I changed the engine oil yesterday. Today, I did a little trip and after driving about 50 miles the valves started banging - not all the time - it sounds like valve lifters (tappets) are pumping and draining oil. Do any of you have any ideas what could have happened? Maybe you've heard of such a case?

I will be grateful for any suggestions ...

Regards Gerard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Motul 10w40 - reealy I don`t no whats hapend. Today I took out the valve lifters, cleaned it, vented it, drove without knocking about 60 km, then the valves started knocking again. Interestingly, the valves tap once on the left and once on the right side of the engine. I got really stupid, I am wondering whether I should give my bike to a mechanic, although for 15 years I have been making all the bikes myself - and there were some ...
Give me an idea, Gerard

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I wonder if the new filter is defective. If the filter collapses and restricts the oil the lifters can't get enough pressure. I would peek in there and see if all looks well. Might be the restriction is enough to lower the oil pressure but not enough to turn on the oil light??????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about the same thing and checked the oil filter - it looks ok. But I think that I will buy a new filter tomorrow and replace it - maybe it will help.
If anything else comes to your mind - please write

gerard

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
If it is the valve adjusters making the noise my mind goes straight to oil pressure.
To really be able to tell if the fi;ter collapsed on a cartridge type filter you would want to take it out and take the top off as carefully as possible. It isn't a Fram by chance?

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Do you have Seafoam, Startron, or a similar product in Poland? If so, before you change the oil filter you might want to try an internal engine cleaning treatment. I first did this with Seafoam on my '85 GL1200 a number of years ago. Remove enough oil from the crankcase so that you can safely add 4-8 ounces (125-250ml) of the Seafoam or whatever to the crankcase; save the oil you drain/syphon out to compare to the oil you drain after running the bike for 200-500 miles (300-800km). You'll be amazed at the difference in the oils. The post-cleaning oil will be black as pitch and thicker to the touch. I do this procedure every time I change oil on my GL1200 Aspy, and after 35 years it still runs like a champ, and without any valve lifter noise. If after this procedure and new oil and filter you still have lifter noise, you can either add some Seafoam to the crankcase (adjusting oil level) until the next oil change or you can pull the hydraulic lifters and soak them in Seafoam, Gum-Out, whatever, pumping them now and then until they are cleaned out. The hole at the end that the oil escapes from is smaller than a hair, so you pretty much have to clean them out using solvent and pressure. Good luck!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
ATM, or auto tranny fluid works also, just a lot slower.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
Don't know what oils are available in Poland. Is Motul a motorcycle specific oil?

Sometimes on the 1200, the cams can get off-center and cause some pretty good noise.
There is a procedure you can do to fix it in the OEM manual.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts