Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought my wife a horse and now it's time for me to start thinking of my new Goldwing. The problem I am having is which one and what color? :cheeky1:

Any helpfull suggestions would be appreciated. Is the navi system worth the cost? I really want the ABS and the only way to get that is withe the Navi package.

What other options are there for this bike?

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I'm partial to Appaloosas........ white and gray.......

:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
I'm partial to Appaloosas........ white and gray.......:cheeky1:
You can ignore him if you want, txstomper...he's got special Forum permission to ride some weird non-wing contraption...and he don't sit around and mope during winter like "normal" people...;) :action:

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
I'm partial to Appaloosas........ white and gray.......

:cheeky1:
She got a dark chestnut but she does like the appaloosa as well

I dont think Honda has a color scheme like that yet :cheeky1:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

CJ, do you know why Indians rode appaloosas??

So they would be good and P***ed off by the time they got to the fight!

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

UBarW wrote:
CJ, do you know why Indians rode appaloosas??

So they would be good and P***ed off by the time they got to the fight!

Hah! We couldn't have stood it if the non-treaty Nez Perce had got any more pissed off! UbarW.... have you ever been to the Big Hole Battlefield near Wisdom, Montana? Saddest place in the world...... The Nez Perce had thought that they had gotten away from all the pissed off whites in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho.... thought they had gotten away..... they were camped at a small creek just over Lost Trail Pass in Montana... everybody asleep. The U.S. Army had followed them, though, and attacked at first light...... killing many sleeping women and children. The Nez Perce, those that survived, initially scattered...... but then, one by one, two by two, four by four, they fought their way back to the creek, and then across it, driving the army back up on a timbered knoll where they had lain in wait before daylight.

The U.S. troops damn near got overrun. Back up in the trees, they scraped out fighting positions, digging with pocket knives, bayonets, and mess tins... and hunkered down to wait for reinforcements....... if you visit the Monument, you can still see their fighting holes today.....

The Nez Perce have returned to the Battlefield many times. They have erected a ghost village, a village of tepee poles, lodge poles.... and have labeled them with the names of the Indian families that slept there before the attack. It is impossible, if you have any human heart at all, to walk among those ghost lodges without weeping..... at least it is for me..... We truly did do those people wrong.

(sorry... didn't mean to get carried away.....)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

Trying to wedge in a non-smart alec answer and speaking only from hearsay the Honda Nav system leaves a lot to be desired. Others may disagree.

My preference would be a stand alone unit that one could update without the umbilical cord to Honda.

Welcome to the site.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

Trying to wedge in a non-smart alec answer and speaking only from hearsay the Honda Nav system leaves a lot to be desired. Others may disagree.

My preference would be a stand alone unit that one could update without the umbilical cord to Honda.

Welcome to the site.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

nobbie wrote:

Welcome to the site.
Sorry.... didn't mean to be a smart aleck! Have no idea about navigation systems, other than the flat paper Rand McNally type....

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

I'll take a sorrel that's short in the front with a big chest.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Forget the appy, a 3-4 year old Tennessee Walker is what you need to look at, it's the best ride there is. And in Goldwings, the best ride is the 1983 GL1000 Interstate in the beautiful Wineberry red.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

Appys make great mountain trail horses. We had a rental string back in the 80's - mostly Appys. They are very sure footed on the trails, but do like to sightsee a bit. This frustrates someone looking to ride a horse with a little more "show" to it.

As for a Goldwing - have to go with the '95 1500SE.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

dude, you still havent gotten your question answered yet huh? you didnt mention what year you were thinking about. you wanting a new one, or an older one? the new ones are unbelievable. i havent heard any complaints about the navis yet at all. be prepared to shell out well over 20,000 bucks for the new 09 tho. just a warning!.....rick

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

oh and i forgot to mention that black is "the fastest color" ................. rick

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,661 Posts
imported post

I used to own and ride a Tennessee Walker. I had forgotten all about that horse.

As mentioned, it was a very gentle ride, a lot like riding a Goldwing ;)

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Ive got an 07 with Navi. The Navi is really not worth it. You can get a Garmin 450 or 550 that will do more and be more user friendly and cost less. Last summer the missus and I went up into Minnesota. Half of our trips we were driving on nothing or unverified roadsaccording to the Navi. We drove down from Wisconsin through Iowa along the Mississippi and the Navi couldnt find half of the road. You cant upload maps from your computer also and the only upgrade is the card from garmin for $200.00. For 09 they changed the system and supposedly the 09s arent compatible with the earlier ones. I have a 2720 garmin on my left handlebar I bought off of Amazon. Its refurbished ,1 year guarantee from Garmin and I paid $148.00 with shipping. I can download routes I create on my computer or use the built in maps. Ive used it on my bike and in my car its user friedly and it does the job. In Hondas case I think they made tradeoffs on the system. When on the road around big cities it seems really detailed about routes but put yourself in small towns with 2 lanes and the unverified roads occur or just no roads. Considering the cost of this option Honda could have done us a lot better especially on the type of bike they put it on.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks BigMickfor the info on the navi. That is what I have been hearing so will try to stay away from that. I am looking for a 06 to new one just depends what I can find and what strikes me the best.

I should have called the post a Horse of course :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

i am sure whatever colour you go for, you will be happy with your new wing, like the idea of sweetening up the wife first with a horse, good call

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

txstomper67 wrote:
I just bought my wife a horse and now it's time for me to start thinking of my new Goldwing. The problem I am having is which one and what color? :cheeky1:

Any helpfull suggestions would be appreciated. Is the navi system worth the cost? I really want the ABS and the only way to get that is withe the Navi package.

What other options are there for this bike?
txstomper67

Any 1800 is better than no 1800. I've got the whole optionpackage on my 08, but you certainly don't needall the trinketsto realize the quality of the 1800.

Dedub :18white:

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

txstomper67, in all honesty it's hard to answer your question. Everyone is partial to their own bike, not only it's size but color. The best advise I can give is to look at what you want to spend, are you looking at brand new or used, if used, how old do you want to go and how much do you want to spend. After that look around, go to a few dealers that are carrying what fits your wants and needs, maybe get a few test rides on. Once you find that, look at the colors, don't forget you can always get one and have repainted to your own preference. I always thought that white was an off color for bike, but one of the members here has a white one, and surprise, I liked it. Every wing out there has different charactoristics to it that could be debated, but all these become personal preferences.

I like having regular old fashioned guages, my reason, one it's what I'm used to and like, and I feel if one goes bad, I can better afford to repair or replace it. I like a little less painted "body" parts and more chrome. I prefer toe shift over heel toe shifting, again it's what I have always had and to me it's part of the ride. Now, all the other members could counter my views with their own and add more of there own. In the end, we would probably have you even more confused that are already.

In the end, the best advise, decide what you want to spend, look at what's available in that price range, get it, do what you need to make it your own, and ride with pride. NO ONE is going to look down their nose at it, if you're happy, we're happy for you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.