Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Some of you might remember me from awhile back, I was given a free Goldwing that sat in a garage for about five years. Well I totally restored the bike back to it's glory. Here is what happened, I spent almost $1000 dollars restoring this bike. New seat,perfect fuel tank,mint tank cover and trunk cover,luggage rack and chrome handle,rebuilt the carbs with Randakk kit,new pulse generators,new timing belts,new thermostat,battery and battery cover,new grips and brake and clutch handles,new oil and filter,mint condition chrome side covers and some more misc things.

Well after all that I was getting popping through the carbs and made adjustments,still ran like crap,poor acceleration and had to run with the choke half way on. I took the carbs off again thinking I didn't clean them well enough,put it all back together,same stupid problem,popping through carbs and very poor performance. Needless to say I parked it it my garage and I gave up on it for a few months.

I then decided to try again,this time I put the air filter box in and a new air filter and buttoned it up. Now the bike runs perfect (like a new one)and runs like a scalded dog (hauls ass)without any choke. I had no idea that the filter played sucha major role,apparently I was sucking too much air andcaused the carbs not to work properly. The only reason I didn't put the filter in yet is because I was still tinkering with it. Dummy me. Needless to say, I now have renewed interest in the bike and I am proud of my accomplishment of bringing this bike back from the dead. It rides great,nice smooth and quiet and looks fantastic.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Let that be a lesson to ya.,,

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

I never tried my GL without the airfilter, but are you sure that it was the only problem? Comparing it with other engines with carbs, I think that the engine should work quite good without air filter, even better then having one. Because, if everything else is ok, the engine will suck in just as much air as it needs, nothing more than that. That's why K&N cotton filters were made, to reduce the resistance and let in as much air as possible.
On the other side, are you sure that you don't have a lean mixture caused either by miss adjusted float heights, wrong size or mixed up jets, accelerator pump not working, air leakage somewhere....so the air filter just reduces the amount of air and masks the real problem?

But that was just my way of thinking, maybe I am wrong!

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I'm telling you that in fact,when I put the air filter in,it turned into and excellent running machine, I kid you not.No other problems,I used Randakk kit,did not see any worn parts in the carbs and I did not tamper with float levels. Try a little experiment,take your filter out and see how she runs.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I remember fitting a cheap aftermarket air filter in my 1100 and the engine would cut out after a few minutes the filter paper was wrong type and air couldn't get through it. A Honda filter cured the problem.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Merry Christmas.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I'm a happy camper now,I'm polishing this old girl up,she runs beautiful and is a pleasure to ride. Will post up some pics soon.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Freeride wrote:
I'm a happy camper now,I'm polishing this old girl up,she runs beautiful and is a pleasure to ride. Will post up some pics soon.
:claps:

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

Did that with a supercharged car I had. Pissed me off when I realized it too!

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

congratulations on getting your loverly bike to run, she is the same as my bike color, year, etc.

if you haven't already done so, do a check of the three white wires, to the left of the battery, the connector can get real hot, and effect the stator.

most cut the connector out, and solder the wires together.

also check the dogbone fuse to the right of the battery, mine fell apart when I unscrewed it, replace with a 20 amp blade fuse.

IMHO iridium spark plugs, and an odyssey battery are worthwhile investments also.

Congratulations again, I'm sure she will be a pleasure for a long time.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

oldishwinger wrote:
congratulations on getting your loverly bike to run, she is the same as my bike color, year, etc.

if you haven't already done so, do a check of the three white wires, to the left of the battery, the connector can get real hot, and effect the stator.

most cut the connector out, and solder the wires together.

also check the dogbone fuse to the right of the battery, mine fell apart when I unscrewed it, replace with a 20 amp blade fuse.

IMHO iridium spark plugs, and an odyssey battery are worthwhile investments also.

Congratulations again, I'm sure she will be a pleasure for a long time.
the three white wires are actually yellow wires in a white connector

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

Freeride wrote:
Some of you might remember me from awhile back, I was given a free Goldwing that sat in a garage for about five years. Well I totally restored the bike back to it's glory. Here is what happened, I spent almost $1000 dollars restoring this bike. New seat,perfect fuel tank,mint tank cover and trunk cover,luggage rack and chrome handle,rebuilt the carbs with Randakk kit,new pulse generators,new timing belts,new thermostat,battery and battery cover,new grips and brake and clutch handles,new oil and filter,mint condition chrome side covers and some more misc things.

Well after all that I was getting popping through the carbs and made adjustments,still ran like crap,poor acceleration and had to run with the choke half way on. I took the carbs off again thinking I didn't clean them well enough,put it all back together,same stupid problem,popping through carbs and very poor performance. Needless to say I parked it it my garage and I gave up on it for a few months.

I then decided to try again,this time I put the air filter box in and a new air filter and buttoned it up. Now the bike runs perfect (like a new one)and runs like a scalded dog (hauls ass)without any choke. I had no idea that the filter played sucha major role,apparently I was sucking too much air andcaused the carbs not to work properly. The only reason I didn't put the filter in yet is because I was still tinkering with it. Dummy me. Needless to say, I now have renewed interest in the bike and I am proud of my accomplishment of bringing this bike back from the dead. It rides great,nice smooth and quiet and looks fantastic.
GreatearlyChristmas giftto hear a pancake engine purr. Oh and thesmooth as silk torque. BTW Did you sinc your carbs? (5 minutes with the gauges on, willtake you to a whole different level)

Enjoy your new found power between your legs!

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

conratulations, my bike was also a gift from someone who could no longer ride.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Glad you got her running sweet now.
I'd still look for anything else like a cracked or loose vacuum line.

"put the air filter box in and a new air filter "

Were there any vacuum lines to that box?
I'm with a couple others in thinking it's something else also along with the air filter perhaps. I have ran all kinds of engines without air filters, carbed and injected, and they run fine normally without a filter.

Perhaps even a tiny speck of trash in a carb and it finally washed out?

In any case, glad you got her going again and hope she runs like a top for a long time to come.

Ya know, it could be Santa had a little extra time and that was your present, Santa fixed it while you weren't looking LOL

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
imported post

it sounds wierd but really gold winter day me and a friend went out on the four wheellers,went across a stream fast moving water i got stuck and my friend tried to pull me out with his bike but flipped me over in the water.finally got out of the water and said i better see if any water got in the air filter before i start it ,so i took it off and looked ,no water,great lets start it first .well it ran like **** we looked at everthing that it could be tried running it again over and over,still didnt work not drivable ,so we said thats enough its to cold put it back together amd my friend will tow me .put the filter in and it ran like a charm,on that bike you have to have the filter and the cover on or it will not run.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

If you undrstand how the goldwing carbs work you will see why having the filter on is so important. reducing the plenuem vaccum is a bad thing.So is K&N filters on a wing
Wilf

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

While getting my 85 Aspy going I had the same symptoms. Then I remembered that most every metric bike I've owned needed the factory air filter to run rich enough to ride. I also noted that when I installed the OEM filter that it ran very strong. I was quite impressed. It seems like the 85 and up GL1200's run a lot stronger than the 2 84's I've owned.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

Don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but just wanted to set the record straight - I have a 1984 GL1200 Aspy and I can smoke the tires in second WITH a K&N air filter!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

I had a simular problem , my G1200 was running rich i put redex in ran it checked the plugs and it started popping ,found some one had sheared slot off pilot jet, so bought carbs off ebay stripped and cleaned all jets, found out they were California carbs ran like three leg donkey stood on carpet tacks,managed to get them changed from dealer for 84 model carbs cleaned these balanced them all up on the bike,still popping on loading bike up 2-3000 RPM,decided to have another look one day, ran the bike out of garage as its up hill drive out ,felt at exhausts pulled the plug from the cold exhaust to check gap and foun the body of the plug cracked, i replaced it and its running great love it again as it's a 84 standard 1200. I think i might have cracked it pushing the HT leads on as you have to make sure the boot holding both plug caps is right down.
WHOOPS!
Well i got to know the carbs a bit as never done anything with Wing Carbs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.