Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going on a short trip next week, unfortunately my rear tire blew last weak. we had planned on getting a new dunlop e3 down the road but didn't plan for now. Anyways, i am on a gl1200 with a voyager trike kit.

With not having much money to spare i bought the Dunlop D404 150/90-15. I have heard mostly bad things on these after i ordered it cause i have not had the internet in the last 2 weeks.

Do you think that it will be ok since i have the other tires on the trike kit to help it out?

thank you for the help.
Chris

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
You;ll be fine. My experience with Dunlops is that they wear fast at the halfway worn mark. In other words, you could get 7K miles on the tire and it still looks good, go another 400 and it's bald! Because yours is new, I suspect you won't have any issues.

Did you get the tire Balanced with weights or do you use Dyna Beads?

Have a safe trip!

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Jobe05 for the response.

I am having a place balance it for me. i just need to take the rim to them.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
Yeah, you could go with a Dunnie...or you could set fire to your money.
Same diff in my book.
Since you already have two car tires on the machine now, why not just find a C/T that will fit?

Please...let's not turn this into a darkside thread.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Someone say Dark Side?...........

:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, you could go with a Dunnie...or you could set fire to your money.
Same diff in my book.
Since you already have two car tires on the machine now, why not just find a C/T that will fit?

Please...let's not turn this into a darkside thread.
Hello B&D
sometimes i am able to ride my bike without the kit on...and i try to do that when i can. This is my 1st bike in some 20 yrs so I do not know a whole lot about the goldwings, although I have worked on it a good amount with replacing things.

Thanks

·
everyday member
514 Posts
The 404's are really not weight rated for your bike. That being said, I went through two rear 404's on my 1100 interstate the first two summers I rode. When riding two up the side walls were not strong enough and the tire would rub on the brake caliber brace. I have since learn to pay attention to weight ratings and tread design and have made better choices on tires. The new 404 will get you through your ride and will wear fairly quickly. 7000 miles is something to shoot for. The tire itself is a decent tire that doesn't have to many issues other that they are not built for heavy bikes and the rubber doesn't last. I would probably bite the bullet and try to spend the money for a better tire now if time allows so you don't have to buy another one before you are ready. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
When you put a new tire on a bike( with a voyager kit ) you have to reset the preload on the rear wheel. If you do not you will not get the right traction from the drive wheel.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Air that new tire up to the max pressure on the sidewall and check it often, it will make a big difference in the life of it.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
^^
x2

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you very much for all the help. With my disease i am not able to ride the bike much maybe 10-35 miles a week, if that. hopefully it will last a little bit for me, cause where i live there is nowhere to take the bike to have tires put on. Have to find a place soon before the next tire.

My next tire will be the e3 or the me880 i reckon..

Thank you
Chris

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
I've had a lot of tires and in general the more expensive ones, brand name, are made with softer compounds and better handling is the result. Cheaper tires are made with harder compounds and they last longer but have less grip on the road.

Scott

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got back from my short trip...well turned out to be longer but it was very cool. Went to Albany Kentucky then went to Nashville(family members in both places). The ride was long but my wife and I had a great time, Total ended up being 1,300 miles round trip and 400 of it was rain:-( but we made it. this was the first time i have taken the bike that far since i bought it. The tire rode great and i now know that the bike is pretty good and can take most places.My 84gl ran as smooth as i think a ride can be!

To anyone who is going to be traveling, be safe and have fun.
Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.