Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...for fleas. Not for me, for the bike.
Strange story, but stay with me. I purchased an 02 wing a few months ago, has 95k on it. Didn't know anything about the previous owner. Shortly after buying and riding the bike, I started getting insect bites on my feet and ankles, and then on my thighs just above the knees. I surmised that the po might have had a dog or cat that stayed on the bike and that I might have been getting flea bites. The bites on my thighs are right at the gap of the seat front and the gas tank shroud. So I took off the seat and sprayed the inside and bottom of seat with flea spray but it didn't help. Next step....I discharged a couple flea and tick bug bombs under the bike to fumigate it, but it didn't help.
I don't know if I am right, but I switched over from a diagnosis of the po having a dog or cat, to the fleas or mites coming from mice. When I changed out the air filter, there was about 3" of fiberglass insulation with mice dung all around it, so I could tell that they had been living there for quite some time. I'm guessing that they may have also lived under the shroud and tank cover for a while, so perhaps the mites are still living there and i didn't get them with the fogger. So instead of taking all the plastic off again to clean and spray that area, I bought a waterproof flea and tick collar and stuffed it between the edge of the seat and tank. That should prove or disprove my theory that this is the insect problem. Will keep you updated, but just out of curiosity.....have any of you ever had an insect infestation in your bike? Thanks for any advice or stories you can share with me!

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
515 Posts
The '02s and '03s were some of the first years Honda used the welded aluminum frame, and as the platform was developed they pre-welded a large batch of prototype frames and stored them in a warehouse as testing and homologation proceeded with the U.S. DOT.

Unfortunately, the warehouse was in a rural area, and not climate controlled. The bike parts were infested with frame fleas, and the worst cases led to cracks and failures in several areas where the fleas tended to congregate.

It has yet to be determined whether the fleas consumed some of the aluminum in critical areas, or whether their excreta caused corrosion and ultimate failure, but in any event you should Google "GL1800 frame cracks" and pay particular attention to those areas of the bike that are highlighted in various scholarly articles on the problem.

OK, OK I'm kidding. Totally kidding, but you asked for a story,...

Pet fleas don't survive on humans, but they'll bite you. I've seen fleas in cars, but those have carpet. I suppose they could be hanging out under the seat, so take it off, put it in a clear garbage bag with some flea spray, and seal it off for a couple days. If it's human fleas, seek professional help before you bring them into the house.

Oh, and I'm serious about the frame cracks, you actually should Google that, there were welding issues in the early frames. Check your VIN sticker for a triangular stamp in the lower right corner that will indicate whether it was inspected by a dealer, or not.

Reactions: copper wing

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, much appreciated. That is the first thing I did when I bought the bike (I am a welder also). I checked every frame weld inside and out and they are great. Would be scary for one of the joints to let go while riding.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Try Eucalyptus. A flea won't come within a mile of it. Old farm boys know how to get rid of critters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts