Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
25,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anymore. Went for a short 65 mile ride this morning, temp in the low 80s, was almost miserable. Don't know how I did it in tripple digit temps just a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Anymore. Went for a short 65 mile ride this morning, temp in the low 80s, was almost miserable. Don't know how I did it in tripple digit temps just a few years ago.
Not sure how old you are but at 71 riding on a 85 degree day takes a lot more out of me than at even 60. Yesterday I rode a 120 miles one way for a niece's graduation party. After 120 more on the way home I was exhausted, drained. Ten years ago I would come, take a shower and be ready to go out to for a drink with the wife. Not any more.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,256 Posts
Dave,
as you know, I have not been able to deal with hot weather for several years now.

this morning, Cyndi and I got out at 7 a.m. to use my new battery cordless Pole Saw and trim out the wooley worms that are in cobwebs up in our trees. Each year they get worse.... and we want them down.

I made it 55 minutes, and that ended it for me.... I sat down on the golf cart and just wilted....
went to the house and took a shower.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I too usually handle the heat fine but my blood pressure medicine has a huge impact on I handle it now. Riding at 110 degrees is fine if moving but there are times I barely walk to the barn and back without feeling beat and just soaked. I started taking meds in the evening in the summer. Your location's humidity might be donating to the fun also.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I too usually handle the heat fine but my blood pressure medicine has a huge impact on I handle it now. Riding at 110 degrees is fine if moving but there are times I barely walk to the barn and back without feeling beat and just soaked. I started taking meds in the evening in the summer. Your location's humidity might be donating to the fun also.

I never considered heart meds being a factor. I take a blood thinner and a blood pressure med too. Only been doing that the last 4 years or so. Either way, I have to be more aware of my new limitations and how much I push myself. Brain says GO, body says HUH?

·
Administrator
59,256 Posts
yeah,
84% humidity here most of the last few days.

and, I am taking Losartan, a blood thinner.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I find the more I ride there lower my blood pressure. I need that time on my own, to relax and shake off life sometimes times.

Reactions: Cobra55

·
Administrator
25,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to work outside today until 12:00, only 88 deg and 60% humidity but I was soaked through and through.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Welcome to the club Dave. Karen and I have decide we won't be taking any more extended trips for this very reason. We have been taking long trips (10 plus days) for the last 12 years. No more. A one day 300 mile one way trip we can do but even that may cease after this year. Like you we just can't handle the temps any more. Hell getting old!

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
While I feel all y'all's pain, I am glad to read that it ain't just me. Just 66 yoa. Used to be, heat didn't bother me too much, but now the worm has turned. I too took out a new 40 volt cordless 10" chain type pole saw this morning, took two batteries out with me, did some trimming and even cut three trees down as wife mowed, my internal battery gave up before the first battery in the saw.

Must admit though, I never relished the thought of riding in 100+ temps, don't see how some of you do it.

We had already given up on multiday bike or trike trips a couple years ago, lately we gave up on long day bike or trike trips, now any rides will be drives.

·
Administrator
59,256 Posts
Before that Semi truck merged me into the Center Median at the age of 65, I could work in the heat as long as the young whippersnappers..... I lived in the Phoenix, AZ area and worked there for 20 years....
yes, it was hot, but you learned how to deal with it, and I was able to do it good...

right up until I got whacked and that ended it.....

I found this Pole Saw at Home Depot for $139.00 for a Limited Time, I grabbed it before the ink left my laptop screen.... I love it.
I thought real hard about getting a 2nd battery . . . but, at $400 for a battery, I said no.
as it turns out, the one battery that came with it, can run in the heat a lot longer than I can, it is still showing " all green LEDs " even after I cut 3 trailer loads of limbs down.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If it helps I have a few tricks and have ridden in temps s high as 125. First for short rides make sure you hydrate before you're thirsty, any get yourself an evaporative cooling shammy and wrap it around your neck under your collar. One of those huge car shammies can be cut into several and stored wet in zip lock bags for use anytime. You can also by these things at sports stores and places like Walmart but fake car shammies are cheaper. Keep a couple bottles of water handy to re-wet it as needed. For longer trips I add an evaporative vest with my summer jacket made of a slightly open mesh. On the big road I wear a thick long sleeve shirt under it my jacket, that will allow evaporation but not permit hot air to hit you're skin directly. Thicker shirt material with also hold more water without dripping. Then I routinely pour water down my back and sleeves so the shirt is pretty wet and stays that way longer providing cooling evaporation far longer. You also need to eat/snack carefully, things like chocolate often warm you up. I stick with trail mix of nuts and fruit for long term energy.

Reactions: DaveO430

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Also, drink only water. Do not use any drink like Pepsi or bottled tea or koolaid. All of those products have sodium in their mix. They will only quench your thirst for a very short time. The sodium will leave you wanting another drink very quickly.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I noticed the same this year. Been riding with the heat in the 90s and being on blood thinners and blood pressure meds i have to watch how far and what time of day in the heat I ride.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Have you tried a cooling vest? Lots of them out there. They do work good. when I flew up to oregon back in 03 to pick up an 02 Gold Wing it was July. 100 + temps coming home to Calif. I would stop at rest stops and wet my shirt, put a light windbreaker over it and it worked as a swamp cooler. My shirt strayed wet for a couple hours and I would stop at a rest again and do the same thing. I got some funny looks from people at the rest stops when I took off my shirt and soaked it from the drinking fountain, but hey, it works.

Reactions: Pastot

·
Administrator
59,256 Posts
#1 yes, I have Phase Change cooling vest, but we rarely stay out for more than an hour, and it is extremely expensive, so I don't want to risk ruining it while cutting tree limbs. My daughter is now using it on her Rural Mail delivery routes, quite effective for her.

#2 we quit drinking colas a long time ago, anything with sodium is verboten for us now.
that just leaves Root Beer, and we only drink about 6 oz of that during our suppertime meal, and not everyday. especially if it is really hot.

when the weather is just plain miserable, I just stay indoors.

#4 when it is hot, is just plain hot :)
and when we get older we just don't tolerate heat like we used to.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts