Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone, I am a new member and I just got my self a 1986 Aspencade about 2 weeks ago. I had a safety done and all it needed was a new front tire otherwise my mechanic said the bike is mint. I also had the timing belts done. Now that I have found this forum I think I can do most of the repairs my self.

This is my first Goldwing, it is a wonderful experience to drive, I should have done this a long time ago. I had a V45 as my last bike and enjoyed it also but the wing is just what my wife and I were looking for.

Any advice I can get from you would be very much appreciated as this is my first wing. I have heard mixed comments on what gas to use, I am using regular at the moment. I also was wondering whether on not to use semi synthetic oil.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Honker.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

Welcome. I'm fairly new here myself. Aren't wings great. This forum is overflowing with nice people chiming in and helping out. As for gas. I use regular most of the time. Every now and again I will put in premium.

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the best Wing site in the world!!

As far as gas, the recommended fuel is regular. I have an 83I and sometimes I'll run a tank through of the mid-octane stuff. Also, I put a couple of ounces ofMarvel Mystery Oil in every other tank full. This stuff is widely used by us wing owners and the purpose is to gently keep the carbs clean. You can get it at any auto parts store or at Wal-mart.

As far as oil, many of us use Rotella T 5W-40 synth in the blue jug. $14.00 at Wally world. However, you can run just about any oil that doesn't have friction modifiers in it. Look for an yellow(I believe)seal that says energy conserving. If it has that on it thendon't buy it.;)Oil is a topic that sees much discussion. Some use only Mobil-110w-40 synth to good satisfaction, others swear by Amsoil. I myself use the Rotella and have for the last 2 1/2 years with no complaints.

Good job on replacing the belts. They are, IMHO, one of the most critical parts on the engine.

If you've got time to kill, you can do a search on just about anything that you can think of pertaining to your bike. The archives go all the way back to the inception of this site.

Enjoy!

Hobie

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
imported post

Welcome Honker, Glad to have you aboard.

As for the gas I use regular all the time. I don't see the sence behind anything else, but it won't hurt to use hi test. A lot of folks use it but I don't.

Enjoy your ride.

Nick

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
imported post

welcome to the best goldwing site in the world, literally.
As for gas, as long as it doesn't ping......87.
A higher octane gas is just formulated to burn slower, it has the same amount of energy as the 87. Here is a cut and paste answer
In most of the U.S., regular gas[/b] has an octane[/b] rating of 87, midgrade gas[/b] is 89, and premium is 91 or 92. (Octane[/b] ratings are lower in the mountain west due to the effects of thin air on internal combustion.) Contrary to widespread belief, the octane[/b] rating doesn't indicate how much power the fuel delivers; all grades of gasoline contain roughly the same amount of heat energy. Rather, a higher octane[/b] rating means the fuel is less likely to cause your engine to knock or ping. Knock, also known as detonation, occurs when part of the fuel-air mixture in one or more of your car's cylinders ignites spontaneously due to compression, independent of the combustion initiated by the spark plug. (The ideal gas[/b] law tells us that a gas[/b] heats up when compressed.) Instead of a controlled burn, you get what amounts to an explosion--not a good thing for your engine. To avoid this, high-octane[/b] gas [/b]is formulated to burn slower than regular, making it less likely to ignite without benefit of spark.
The majority of cars are designed to run on regular gas[/b], and that's what the manuals tell the owners to use. Higher-performance cars often require midgrade or premium gas [/b]because their engines are designed for higher compression (higher compression = more power), and regular gas[/b] may cause knock. If your car needs high-octane[/b] gas[/b], the manual will say so.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Welcome Honker:waving:

:12red::cool:

Dean

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, regular unleaded should be fine for your wing. Get into the habit of changing the engine oil AND filter every 3-4,000 miles. You may want to do a search on alternator/stator plugs and check out your charging system/wiring status.

Get a Haynes or Clymer manual, and last but not least. Get out there and start enjoying that Aspencade, summer is starting to fade down here already.... :gunhead:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Honker! Great to have you here. Great choice on the model, year and colorof Goldwing too.:goofygrin:(check my sig line) You will find a lot of very knowledgeable people here too, so enjoy.

John

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Welcome "Honker" to the "WGGWWS" !!!

Hobie told you some good info , so i can't add to it !

Other tham you may need to see a surgeon to get the BIG GRIN off your face from riding that bike!

Ride Safe and WATCH OUT for those DEER!

Oh yea , we have a "Deer Alert" thread which will help you out with that subject, be sure to read ALL of it tonight !:cheeky1:

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

That's a nasty thing to do to a newbie wingdawg. Welcome aboard Honker!!

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Welcome "Honker" to the "WGGWWS" !!!

Hobie told you some good info , so i can't add to it !

Other tham you may need to see a surgeon to get the BIG GRIN off your face from riding that bike!

Ride Safe and WATCH OUT for those DEER!

Oh yea , we have a "Deer Alert" thread which will help you out with that subject, be sure to read ALL of it tonight !:cheeky1:
Hey Wingdawg.....what DeerAlert Thread????

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
imported post

Honker..........since my 1100 (and lots like mine) tend to have a little clatter or ping anyway, I use Premium. What the heck, it's only 50 cents or so more a tankful. On the synthetic oil thing, I'd be leery of synthetics on the older wing (read the oil threads on the Tech Forum); some funny things have happened to seals when people switched from fossil to synthetic. After reading the threads recently, I took back some synth I had bought for an oil change, and stayed with fossil 10-40.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
imported post

Welcome Honker!

Some great people on this site, with a wealth of knowledge.

Enjoy every minute that you can on the ":bat:". We do!

PS. I know where Baltimore is, and you have some great twisties in your neck of the woods.

L8R

Kim

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
imported post

Hello Honker and Welcome. I have an 82 1100I and I use Regular unleaded. I also put a little MMO in the tank every few tanks or whenever I feel like it. Enjoy your Wing.

Later John K1

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
imported post

Hello Honker...

Welcome to the formum. Folks are real friendly here and full of it....good advice that is. :cheeky1: You will enjoy yourself.

I always use hi test in my bike, but afterjust finishing off a 2300 mile ride, I ran into the Ethanol gas, which was Higher octane, yet cost less than regular.

I was leary at first, but went ahead and tried it.

It is like putting a shot of 200 Proof White lightning grain alcohol in the tank. :toast:Really runs good, and plenty of go power.

Just another thought for food....bike food.

(By the way, I'm looking for BUG ALERTS):doh:

Again welcome...

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

On the topic of synthetics, Rotella T is actually a dino oil refined to meet synth. standards. It's safe to use. If you're worried you could buy Mother Honda's oil and filter for $$$$. In my 83, (32K to just about to turn over 50K miles) I went from what ever the PO had put in it to Castrol's ACT-EVO 20w-50 synth(didn't care for the clunky shifting) to Rotella T. The bike starts easily, no sticky starter,runs quiet,shifts smoothly, and doesn't leak or burn oil. I change the oil and filter every 3K miles. I wouldn't have one qualm about recommending this oil to you.

This is one of the threads on the tech board pertaining to your questions. Twisty is an experienced tech in the motor world. He has taken much time to answer our inquirys.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=10275&forum_id=1&highlight=Synthetic+Oil

That's all.:waving::byebye:

Hobie

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
imported post

I have used Amsoil Synthetic and filters in my Wing and cars for years, even the trany.

It also stopped clutch chatter and clunky shifting of gears. And it's all made in the USA. So dont be afraid to use Synthetics. Good Stuff! I get it at WingStuff.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.