Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had been noticing my stator was not charging the way it use to and figured it was slowly failing. Charging at 13 or so instead of a steady 14 at 3,000 rpm's or more.

Then one day my starter wouldn't turn over..found my battery was WAY!!! low on water. I filled her up, put on the charger and it was back up to 13.5 volts..all's well again...now for the tip:

My stator is putting out or should I say my battery is showing/taking 14v's again..So if the volt meter is lower than it used to be, it could be your battery is low on water/acid.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I've learned that lesson. Now, every time I change my oil, the battery water gets checked.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

The Handbook for the 1200 calls for checking the electrolyte level every 1000k or every month.

Usually no-one checks until the battery dies of neglect :X

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

Thanks for passing that on RB.
It's good reminder that a voltage change can be caused by other things besides the charging system when monitoring or trouble shooting it.

I notice on mine with OEM digital volt meter it reads a rock steady 12.9 volts cruising ( it reads 1.5 volts low) when everything is working as it should be.
I had it suddenly jump to 13.5 which turned out the headlight bulb blew.

I have an external alternator that runs pretty hot so at first I thought the internal regulator went out.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

I agree with Tricky and the Odyssey battery. They are a little moreexpensive but you won't be sorry....a lot more cranking power, no worrying about forgetting to top up.... no leaks on your chrome (Thery are sealed) no winter maintenance ...etc. etc.....GM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.