Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I guess I hava to ride more and wear these out so I can get new ones sooner.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

Some would say,

[align=center]"I need to ride less, to preserve this NEW TIRE FEELING"
[/align]
I can see a flaw in that logic.

:headbanger:

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

dwsonar wrote:
I guess I hava to ride more and wear these out so I can get new ones sooner.
I'm going to be putting my 3rd rear tire for this season after I get back from Fayetteville Ark next week. :)

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
imported post

kcid wrote:
Some would say,

[align=center]"I need to ride less, to preserve this NEW TIRE FEELING"
[/align]
I can see a flaw in that logic.

:headbanger:
Flaw is WAY to mild an explitive...

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
imported post

New tires have a way of making you feel bullet proof once again. Get out there and use them.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Noticed it on the first turn. The bike felt so much more stable. Checked the old tires, front has two rumps on it, cupping, and some tread left. Rear has lots of tread, but out of round. Kind of flattened out in the middle. I guess I don't ride enough twisties. I guess that's why the cornering was the way it was. I got 17K out of those tires since I bought the bike. Not sure how many before. There was tread left, but they were about done.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
imported post

82gl1100i

Wow. 3rd tire for the season.....on the same bike? I think at that rate I'd try to find one that would last me through the season. How many miles are you getting out of each tire? What brand and model?

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I had the pleasure of meeting the Wingman in Madisonville, Texas..I had picked up an item from Wexy at N-5 to give to him..That 1200, has a very nice sidecar on it, and him and I were talking about him needing to change that rear tire out back then..But I can say the man does ride that Wing quite a bit...

Back when I had my Suzuki running, I rode it to work might near everyday, two companies gave me a company truck, but the bike was ridden!!!...Even back then I went through tires like there was no tomorrow, three sets a year???..That was just about right....From September 1978 to about June of 1983, I put way over 100,000 miles on that Suzuki..More like 140,000. the speedometer had to be replaced twice????..I don't believe in buying "cheap tires" even backthen, but the wife working for that dealer helped quite a bit on my tire prices...:thumbsup:...The tires we ran back then were called "Rim Grips", if you had a flat the bead was such that it "Gripped" the rim, didn't break loose go to "flopping" around...I kinda wish they still made those tirtes, they "saved" a friend, and his girlfriend from having a nasty wreck over a flat tire...Thats when I had my brand news tires pulled off and a set of those put on...

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

OldRider2 wrote:
82gl1100i

Wow. 3rd tire for the season.....on the same bike? I think at that rate I'd try to find one that would last me through the season. How many miles are you getting out of each tire? What brand and model?
Yes all the same bike. I've put over 20k on the 86 GL1200 Aspy side car rig since June of this year. I just boughta 79 GL1000 about 2 months ago and have had on the road for about a month. I've stripped it all of the fairings and bags and made it back to a nekkid wing. I'velogged probably close to 3k on it. Now I just need to get the 82 GL1100I back on the road. Damn paint shop hasn't finished painting all my parts.

Right now I'm running Dunlop Qualifers on the rear and getting about 10k out of each one. I'm going to change out to E-3 this time and hope for better but doubt it. When Ihave ranE-2 in the past on the side car rig, I still only got 10K. The side car rig just likes to eat tires, but it's such a blast to ride.

It was nice meeting Redbaron. That day I met him, I rode close 400 miles. I've been just about all over the central, western, eastern, and northern parts of Texas this year. I just get bored and say "Screw it,I'm going to go for aride." Then just set out with no place to go and go for awhile till It's time to go home and feed the dogs. If I didn't have dogs.....I might travel outside of Texas.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
imported post

82gl. 10k sounds pretty good to me, I got about 7000 out of some 404s but took them off at the start of the riding season last year. The rear hummed like a son of a gun in the twisties and the front had some cupping. Spitfires were much smoother and wore better but I dont think I would hav gotten more than 10 out of them. Sold the bike this spring.

Sorry to hear about your wife, that has to be tough on you. Ride safe now.

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Nothing quite so wonderful as new tires, except having to pay for them that is.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

Well, I didn't make it back from Fayettville Arkansas on my rear tire. It blew out half way home in Poteau (po-toe) Oklahoma. Had to get another tire while out on the road. I would like t give some praises to Fat Alberts Kawasaki shop for being very kind and helpful to a traveller. They had a Dunlop 404 that would fit my bikebut they didn't want to work on my 86 Goldwing. They cleared a a place for me in their shop and loaned me the tools to be able to replace my rear tire. So if anybody is ever in Poteau Oklahoma, stop by and say hi to "Stretch", the service manager there and tell them the Goldwing Sidecar rider said hi.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

yeah new tires makes the bike turn and lean so much smoother in the curves!

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

plain wrote:
Aaahhhh, New!
Uuhhh, I hate to be the one to tell you this.

Someone stole your fender and brakes!!!:shock::shock::shock:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.