Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I`ve only owned this 1100 for a few months ...love it by the way

was looking at how hard it might could be to replace the head lite bulb the other day ..I see nothing in my owners manual about it .......now that scares me

is it so hard I will need a half a day to replace it ????????

go ahead give it to me straight ..I can take it ..lol

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

EXTREMEMLY simple on the 1100. You DO NOT have to remove the fairing at all (which I found out the hard way when I replaced mine).

If you look between the instrument panel and the back of the fairing, you'll see an adjustment knob for the headlight. Remove the knob and then remove the nut that holds the headlight in place. Once that is off, you should be able to easily remove the headlight through the front of the fairing, unplug it and swap with replacement.

Re-attach the holding nut and adjustment knob and you're done!

Again, I'm going by my memory from replacing mine last year, but it was much simpler that I imagined it would be when I first looked at it.

Enjoy the ride!!!

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

All right ....thanks I was hopeing it would be something easy as that ...but one never knows
my head lite is working fine right now ...but I couldn`t help but wonder while thinking about a road trip in the future .

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Once you get it out, you may want to consider going to a sealed beam bulb. You can find a direct replacement 7" at any auto parts store.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

bcassel wrote:
Once you get it out, you may want to consider going to a sealed beam bulb. You can find a direct replacement 7" at any auto parts store.
What is the benefit to going with the sealed beam?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

adjustment knob , remove small Phillips set screw . remove knob.
you`ll see a large (17 or 19mm) nut. remove it and the washer.
push gently on the shaft. it should slide forward. place your hand in front to catch the head lite assy.
disconnect the plug.
peel off the sealing rubber , untension the retaining clips and remove bulb.
be careful and not touch the new blub with your bare hands or any type oil residue. it`ll ruin the bulb.
see , not much to it.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Benefits of sealed beam: Better reflective interior surface and better lens and light pattern, may have lower wattage draw too, I didn't check that.

The older lamp holders would have the reflective flake or get cloudy and it's a bear to get in there and clean the fog off the interior mirror surface.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

The reflector on the headlight assembly can become dirty or corroded over time. And the bulbs are more fragile and seem to burn out more often. The sealed beam reduces this. And the new sealed beams are a lot brighter than the ones made years ago. And more available. And cheaper. You could get one from an auto wrecker yard for a dollar or two.

On the other hand, if you do a lot of traveling - especially at night - it's a lot easier to carry an extra halogen or xenon bulb.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

On mine the difference in light between the old bulb holder and the new sealed beam was tremendous. I was going to say like night and day but the sealed beam is not quite that good. I think its a 6042 that goes in without any mods to the holder or plug.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

You have a non-sealed beam headlight?

If lighting is a problem, consider adding two 35W auxillary lights. You will be amazed how much better side lighting is.I got the mounting gear off ebay. Used brackets are perfectly acceptable. Buy the K-C lights on line.Other stuff get from auto parts or Wally Mart.

If you have extra lights, you will be saved when the fairing headlight fails.

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
You have a non-sealed beam headlight?

If lighting is a problem, consider adding two 35W auxillary lights. You will be amazed how much better side lighting is.I got the mounting gear off ebay. Used brackets are perfectly acceptable. Buy the K-C lights on line.Other stuff get from auto parts or Wally Mart.

If you have extra lights, you will be saved when the fairing headlight fails.
Yes, add those with the halogen sealed beam and you will have pretty good light, not HID good but good.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I have to agree with bcassel.. I have sealed siverstar in mine and wow what a difference. Wider and brighter beam. I love it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.