Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The previous owner, has cut out the inner baffles in the tips of the stock mufflers. Does anyone know where and what to get to insert new baffles. I want it to be quiet again. motorcycle super store has 33 different baffles for cruisers. but can only tell what bike they were made to fit. And do not have the dimensions.

I need a baffle that is 1.75" o.d. and 8" inches long.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

I've always found baffles I needed by going down to the salvage yard and rooting around.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Being the cheap scotsman my dad taught me to be, I made my own baffles. They would have caost $100.00 to buy, assuming I could get the info I needed to be sure they would fit.

I bought Two exhaust pipe reducers from NAPA. part # 41922 ( 1.75" O.D.on large end X 1.50" I.D.on the small end 4" long) perfect fit.
I welded a fender washer on the small end then started drilling 3/16" holes in the end and the sides up to the part of the bell end that gets larger. Drilled a set screw hole , so I could hold it in place through the small drain hole in the bottem of the tail pipe tip.

I then wrapped the smaller end with as much steel wool as would allow it to still fit in the tail pipe. locked it in place with the screw. DONE.

And it is so "Honda" quiet again.

Cost $10.98 for the pipe
Steel wool was free.
2 good short screws $.20
All in all I spent 2 hours.

Sorry I did not have a camera to take pictures. Not a hard job

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Ok I took a couple of pictures after they were installed , hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

I love your bike (your ID photo)! Is there somewhere you have more photos of your bike?

PS good for you on making a baffle. Are you concerned about the steel wool rusting or catching fire?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Under my avitar is a link to "my gallery" there are more pictures there.

And I have used steel wool before. it will "burnout" eventually, But all I have to do is remove the baffle and renew it.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks The ones you can buy are just a pipe with holes, Heck I can do that .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.