Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I picked up a "field" find very rough. I am trying to clean out the spark plug drains..the rear ones on both sides I have been able to ream out but the fronts on both sides I can't clear..is there some trick? Is opening to the front drains different than the rear ones??? I have been shoving a coat hanging in..poking around in all directions but it won't find the channel??

Once the plug holes are dry I'll pull the plugs and see if this thing will even rotate!!!

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

You've got your work cut out, but the bike looks relatively complete. Not sure on the drains. Here is a pic of my 1980GL1100 so perhaps you can see the drain locations. I think the heads are he same. Not even sure if mine are clear. You can always use air to blow the water out if it will not drain.

Have you pressure washed the bike to get as much gunk off as possible? My bike was a "barn-find" and had all sorts of bird and mouse stuff everywhere. I steam-cleaned the bike, then went at it with degreaser and a parts brush. The bike was surprisingly clean when I got done. I remember cleaning out the sparkplug recess because the water came back and hit me right in the face !!!

Most important, make sure you soak those plugs in PB Blaster and use some heat to get them freed up. Take it real easy and take your time. If you beak one off, you'll likely have to remove the head. The plug body is not real thick, and they shear off fairly easily.

Good luck !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Yea, get that thing to the car wash, pronto!!!

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Sometimes pressure washing causes more problems. From the looks of the photo, I'd try a big wet Or dry vacuum 1st. The pressure wash sometimes causes electrical issues,and water gets into things it shouldn't. Using a vacuum shouldn't cause problems.

PB blaster on the plugs is a good idea.

Update us & let us know how it's proceeding

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
imported post

I agree with big John, pressure washer may cause you trouble. i have a GL1200 that was under a tree for 3 yrs and was covered in leaves and wildlife! vacuum worked great especially with the thin nozzle on. Happy cleaning!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd agree with the vacuum followed by compressed air to get all the loose crap off. Washing is good after that. Try pushing your coat hanger wire up from the underside, if stuff is jammed in the drains. You might try something a bit thinner at first like a 1/16" welding rod. Your 1000 looks a lot better than mine did when I got it. It's just a matter of correcting each problem as you find it. Personally I like to disassemble a bike in poor shape, clean up each part, repaint as necessary, rattle can paint does a decent job on the black steel parts, and reassemble. Buffing, sanding and painting the little parts, use a wire wheel on the bolts and fasteners to clean the corrosion and rust off them. You'd be surprised how nice an old bike will clean up.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks guys I will keep you posted as things process..slow and easy I think!!

Bu5t the drain thing still has me stumped..seems odd that both front ones aren't opening up and the rear ones cleaned out fairly easily???

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

somehow I had it in my head there was only one on the 1000 engine.... but I would have to look when I get home...
for a project 1000 like that you might also check out www.nakedgoldwings.com we love resurrecting old wings on that site

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

The last set I had that would not clean out I dropped the exhaust and went up from the bottom with a small drill bit (just in a pair of vice grips)Once I could get that through I used a hunk ofwire to reamthem out clean.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

i just went out and checked out my 79 and it appears that the drain holes run straight down looked like about 4 to 5 inches of wire but it ran right through. by the way until i saw this i did not know those were there

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

This thread brought to mind a nice 1200 that is under a shed in the pan handle of Florida. I last looked at the bike back in 94 and it was stored nice but needed TLC to clean it up. I just heard the owner died this past summer so I need to put some feelers out to see what happened to the Bike.

I knew the owner and his wife quite well so I will post if I find anything about this bike.

Maybe somebody here is interested and can get it cheap.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I got the pipes off last night and will check from the bottom up today but though you might like to see what sun exposure does to plastic..the battery...the part that is still there was jsut covered by a label..and it is fine the rest well....I took all the rest off by flicking it with my finger!!

PS..the engine will rotate using the kick starter!!! Yippeee

I have got a bunch of electrical connectors to replace the sun eat them up too/...missing the left side cover..so every thing in there is sun damaged..new wires and connectors needed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.