Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have looked online and cannot find what I am looking for. Can anyone post or send in email some pictures of how the honda 1500 Tank bag mounts to the metal hinged holder? Or point me to a web site that has such pictures. I have one of the metal holders and I want totry to make a bag like the original.

Thanks in advance.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Jim (Wolfman) probably has the best detailed photos for the Firecreek Tank Bagthat I know of. :?

If they aren't what you're after, PM me your email addy and I'll see if I can get you exactly what you're after.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Dusty, PM sent. The Wolfman pictures are very good but do not cover the main area of my interest. If anyone has a Firecreek bag that they no longer need and want to sell, please PM me.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

For those of you that were not fortunate enough to buy the Firecreek Tank Bag (which I consider as an 'Esential Touring Accessory') while it was in production, but were fortunate enough to buy the Stainless Steel mounting plate while offered, I took some photos for Larry that will help you in figuring out a way to mount a different brand tank bag to the mounting plate, if you have some sewing skills, or can farm it out.

1st, - let's take a look at the tank bag in question. It's the Firecreek Tank Bag, which is the only tank bag made/designed specifically for the 1500.

These photos are from Jim Martino's (Wolfman) site;

Larry asked me to delve into how the tank bag was attached to the hingedSS plate. I then took some photos and this is what I discovered ....

The bottom of the bag at the front, by the hinge, has two strips of Velcro. One on either side of the hinged portion of the mounting plate ...

... which when unfastened ....

... allows the SS plate that is inside the bottom of the bag, to be slid out ....

... revealing the 'pocket/sleeve' in which it resides.

This is a shot of the underside of the SS mounting plate.

Hope this helps those who have the SS mounting plate and were trying to figure out how to mount a tank bag onto it.

Dusty

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Well I'll be darned!!!! I never looked at mine that close to see how it was mounted. Learn something new here every day :thumbsup:

So now I'm wondering if it would be safe for "Machine washing",,,,,,,, or would it loose it's shape :?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I'm pretty sure it would be safe to wash it by hand, in a tub and then tumble dry on alow heat setting. :cooler:I should do that as well, now that I have mine apart.

Ya ... I never knew exactly how it was mounted either, Dave, until I 'dug deeper'! :?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I guess I am in the minority here. I use my bag whenever I ride and I rigged up a way to remove it when I stopped and was going to be away from the bike for any time.Ithought that was the idea behind the velcro mounting, take it off when you go into a restaurant or store, etc.When riding I keep my pockets empty. Everything normally in pockets goes into the bag. Wallet, Money, Comb,Pocket Knife, Keysand a few other things. This is very convenient. When I pull up to a gas pump I can fill up using a C/C and never have to get off the bike. Need to pay a toll, the cash isat my fingertips. There is no way I am going to leavethe bagon the bike when I am not there. The problem was Ihad never seenthe correct way to mount the bag. The first mounting system Idevised was loose and had movenemt. It wore the material in a very short time.Now thanks to Ken sending me those pictures Imade another mount that is a better design, much tighter and made with a stronger material.

I had bought the mount when the bag was no longer available. So I picked up a 6 pack cooler at Walmart for about $5 and that's what I used. It is not perfect but it is better than nothing by a long shot.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

FWIW Larry, my Firecreek Tank Bag doesn't get removed all that much (I think the bike looks 'naked' without it on)and I never worry about what I have in it, when I leave it unattended.

You're right about how handy.convenient they are, as they do hold a lot of stuff at hand. :cooler:

Soon after I purchased my 'Ole Girl back in 07, a tank bag was one of the 1st 'touring accessories' I went hunting for.

Don't feel 'odd' about using a small cooler bag, as I used an old 'carry on' bag, strapped onto the tank rack on my 75.

It's all about what 'works' and suits our needs.

About the only timemy tank baggets removed is during the odd wash,when I'm hotelling it (pretty rare), or when the skies are threatening while at camp.

When I do remove it, the whole bag, including the mounting plate comes with me.

Don't know what I'll do when I wear it out, most likely due to UV rays. Might have to go your route and craft something up. I know where to get the 1000 d Cordura and other materials ...... just have to get a capable sewing machine. :coollep:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
About the only timemy tank baggets removed is during the odd wash,when I'm hotelling it (pretty rare), or when the skies are threatening while at camp. When I do remove it, the whole bag, including the mounting plate comes with me.
I took mine off once with the mounting bracket still attached anddecided that was not the way togo. So I made my mount system. Don't know what I'll do when I wear it out, most likely due to UV rays. Might have to go your route and craft something up. I know where to get the 1000 d Cordura and other materials ...... just have to get a capable sewing machine. :coollep: Dusty
I will keep looking for a bag that is the right dimentions to mount there. But until then, this one works. I just got back from a short ride to get a picture. About 10 or 15 seconds to put tha bag on and 5 seconds to get it off. What a pleasure. No bracket to catch on things. The bottle cap is to hold the pocket open for the picture. This slips over the Stainless mounting plate.

Here I tried to show how the velcro closes over the plate. Sorry the plate not here when I saw this message. But I am sure you get the idea.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

More than 1 way to 'Skin a Cat', Larry! :claps:

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I'm glad this came up. My bag is getting pretty discolored from being in the weather so much. I think there's still a lot of life left in it, but when it comes to the point that it is no longer servicable, I'm glad to know the bag comes off the mounting plate. I can probably figure out a new bag to mount on the plate and get a second life out if it.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Wolfman wrote:
My bag is getting pretty discolored from being in the weather so much.
I hope that you're talking about your tank bag!!!

Seriously, I have a black cordura tank bag from RevPack that I have had for 20 + years. It had actually turned green. I painted it with some cheap hardware store quick dry rattle can paint. It looks great and I most likely improved it's waterresistance.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

FeButter wrote:
Wolfman wrote:
My bag is getting pretty discolored from being in the weather so much.
I hope that you're talking about your tank bag!!!

Seriously, I have a black cordura tank bag from RevPack that I have had for 20 + years. It had actually turned green. I painted it with some cheap hardware store quick dry rattle can paint. It looks great and I most likely improved it's waterresistance.
How long ago/many miles ago of actual usewas that and how has it withstood the weather? Is it a heavy duty nylon/Cordura material, or a 'Leatherette'/vinyl ?

Mine has been turning a slight shade of green as well (I have treated it a couple of times with some 303 UV Protectant) but after 4 years and over 150,000k, it's starting to look a little worse for wear. Not that bad yet, but ....

Dusty

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

This is a really cool product, and it's too bad that it's been discontinued.

Right after reading this thread I started searching for one of these bags. Hoping beyond all hope that I could find one. In the middle of this maddening search, I happened upon a web site that appeared to have a few of these left on closeout. I called to order one, and found out that the page was left up by accident. The bags have been gone for a long time. (the link has now been removed)

However, I found out that I was talking to the owner of the company. It turns out that FireCreek is a small operation, and in fact the owner is a member of this forum. Unfortunately, I don't remember what he said his username is. (go ahead and kick me, I'm already kicking myself!)

While there is pretty much zero chance to have any more of these bags produced, there is a small possibility that if there is enough interest Dave may be persuaded to do another run on the mounting brackets. They're a lot cheaper than a whole bag setup, and you can use almost any bag with them, including magnetic mount bags.

During our conversation I mentioned that I could bring it up here to see if there would be enough interest, and he was ok with that. So, who would be interested in a mounting bracket if they should become available?

Doug

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I'm in for 1

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Axctually, his name is DALE and goes by the handle of QD on here.

He bought out Firecreek from the original owner a few years back and being a 1800 owner, other than the windbender for the 1500s, has mainlysteered the company away from the 1500 and 1800s products, concentrating now solely on 1800 accessories (as far as wings go) and is now branching out to different makes/models with some of his product line.

I think he may have a few of the map pockets left for sale, for top of the tank bags(?)

Dusty .... shout out to ya Dale! :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
How long ago/many miles ago of actual usewas that and how has it withstood the weather? Is it a heavy duty nylon/Cordura material, or a 'Leatherette'/vinyl ?
It is a heavy Cordura. It has seen a lot of use but is admittedly not in daily use. It is still available. Great folks. I needed more straps and a few clasps when it was about 10 years old and they sent them to me no charge. I like the bag. It is easy to access while riding.

http://revpack.com/motorcycle/products/TankPack.html

Attachments

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

Yes, I'm terrible with names. Sorry about that.

He did mention that once a bike is 10 years old the market dwindles quite a bit. As I said, there is a "small chance". Honestly, I don't really see it happening. But, I did mention I would post here to gauge interest. So, I did. After all, this particular bike had a 13 year production run, and there's still a ton of them out there.

It looks like it would be pretty simple to make one. Maybe after I'm finished with the EFI conversion I'll make one. That is if I don't find a used one somewhere first.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

FeButter wrote:
Dusty Boots wrote:
It is a heavy Cordura. It has seen a lot of use but is admittedly not in daily use. It is still available. Great folks. I needed more straps and a few clasps when it was about 10 years old and they sent them to me no charge. I like the bag. It is easy to access while riding.

http://revpack.com/motorcycle/products/TankPack.html

Sorry .... :doh: I was talking about the paint you usedand how well it has stood the test and on what type of material it was applied to.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:

Sorry .... :doh: I was talking about the paint you usedand how well it has stood the test and on what type of material it was applied to.
It has not been field tested but I don't know why it would not hold up. I used the reasoning that if you accidentally sprayed paint on it you would not be able to get it off.

The paint that I used was a rattle can quick dry enamel similar to Krylon.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.