Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a new windshield for the 1800.

Right now, I have the stock windscreen with no air wings (will not always be the case.....)

I posted a question for F4 Customs here on the forum, but no response from them. I know I can email or call them, but they did say if you have any questions to Post it here and they would answer.......... Apparently not!

I have been looking at different screens and reading Manufacturers claims and user review on many, and have narrowed the search to a couple. But then today, while searching, I ran across Optic Armor.......??

Never seen this one before so I did some (10 minutes) looking into it. So far, I have found them on EBay.......

The spec on these is EXACTLY the same as the F4 windshield but they are about $150 cheaper.

In one forum thread that came up in my search they said that Optic Armor makes the F4 screens for F4 customs.... ?? Is this true?? I mean...... I read it on the internet.........

I can get a Optic Armor +4 windshield with a vent, exact same dimensions, scratch resistance and strength as the F4 for $279 versus $425 for an F4.

Anyone have any experience with Optic Armor or know anything about them??

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
There are many on this forum that have opted for the F4 or Cee Bailey windscreens. Have never heard of Optic Armor until this post. I think either choice you will be happy with, both are clearer (especially at night) and have less buffeting. Personally if it did not matter I would go with the F4 myself. I still have not upgraded mine, but the stock windshield does good enough for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
What do you mean a +4? Surely your not going super tall are you?
My 95 has a Cee Bailey's and I'm not sure the height but you saw it's a bit short, and I can look over it well.
The 88 had a tall and I did not like it many times at all, was just too hard to see through many times and sometimes could not see through it at all like in fog, and trying to look over it was a big pain trying to ride half standing up.

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the wind shield is well made, it has good clarity and seeing through it, for me, is not a problem. On my 1200, it had the stock wind shield and I could see over it just fine, but wind and buffeting was a huge draw back.

On the 1500 I have a show chrome, which is 3" wider and about 2 1/2" taller. I like that one, on the 1500, I feel nothing, and with the wind wings, it's like Im in a bubble, no wind, very little rain will ever hit me and most importantly, I can hear the radio.......

So yes, I want taller. Theres a couple of things that I don't like about CeeBaily's, Customer service is one thing, reviews are not that good if there is an issue, and no matter the issue, I have to pay shipping back.......... No thanks. It's also very square and some of the reviews that I have read contributed poor(er) Gas Mileage to that. I laugh when I read that because now every time I see one, I think of what Dusty says about the 1500, "It;s like driving a barn door down the road". Maybe it's the windshield?..........

Some reviews that I have read on certain models, including the tulsa tall, indicate no change or improved MPG. I guess that would depend on what they had on there to begin with. I don't care for the swept back look of the Tulsa Tall, although everyone that has posted about the Tulsa on their 1800, love it.

I may pull the trigger on one of the Optic Armor as it looks and sounds just like the F4, just cheaper. Or I may just stay with the cheaper Show Chrome large windshield, as it works well on the 1500, just isn't as durable, and Im sure a shorter life span.

And later in life, if I find that it's too tall....... I can get the saw out....... Can't do that if it is too short.

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had seen something similar to this earlier, and your right, material does mater.

I do think about driving down the road and having a passing car throw something out the window. I would certainly want something that will withstand the hit. However if that gun thing ever happens.....??....... Im probably not going to care what windshield I had.......:ROFL:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I built an Avid Flyer airplane (like a Kitfox) and made a windshield out of 1/8" Lexan which is GE's name for polycarbonate. I'd heard how tough the stuff was and took a sample of scrap shot it with my 9mm S&W model 39. The pistol was loaded with 115gr full jacket ammo. Result was a hole in the polycarbonate. Most bike windshields are a bit thicker than 1/8", usually around 3/16" so they might withstand a bit more. One thing to be careful with is not to get gasoline on poly. The stuff can instantly craze in any area that has a bend in it. The first windshield I made for my plane got a small splash of gas on it and before I could even put the gas can down every rivet hole and the sharper bends up by the wing leading edges was starred or crazed. I had to make another. Which was irritating especially when you consider the price of a sheet of 1/8" Lexan.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I bought the VStream Special Edition Windshield (T55-2147) for my 2008 Goldwing from Cyclemax.com and am very happy with it. It keeps more wind off my wife and came with the vent standard. $296 with free shipping.:)

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I liked all the stuff I had read about the V stream, but it was all from the manufacturer or seller. Although I didn't care for the looks of it, it was number 2 on my list, next to the F4. However, F4 never responded to my question after a couple of weeks so I went ahead and got the Optic Armor. I did some reading on the company and the reviews on their shield were all good....... Worth a try.

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the Optic Amored Wind Shield in to day and installed. WOW! What a great Wind shield I as the driver feel no wind and my wife feels very little. With the added air wings it is a very nice ride now, quiet and relaxing, no more head buffeting. Clarity is a 10 with no distortion at all while looking through it. It is adjustable on all stops except the lowest setting. I have never had a wind shield with a vent and I love the vent. I thought there would be a lot more turbulent air with it open but there isn't, it's just a nice steady stream of air.......

Highly recommend this wind shield for the price ($291 shipped)....... Exact specs of the F4 for almost 1/3 less

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where did you get it for that price? I see them selling direct on ebay. May get one soon myself.
I got mine on EBAY. I got the +4 with vent. Ordered it late Friday night, so nothing happened till Monday morning, they make them to order (There is even a date stamp on the screen itself), it shipped Tuesday and I had it today, basically a 4 day turn around time.......

Scratch resistant and a 4 year warranty..... Nothing wrong with that.

Edit: I have read other reviews where the driver said they actually had to reach out and touch the screen to see where it was, and that is true. I have to look through the screen but you don't even know it's there. I'm sure I'll know it's there the first time Im cough in the rain, but I have been there before also, it's doable.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Post some pics

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Post some pics

OK.......... Mission accomplished........ Are these OK??

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
That first one is kinda cool, not sure about the other ones.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I was kinda hot to get an F4, but a number of owners report that the proprietary coating goes bad sometimes (clouding the shield), but always after the 2-year warranty period is up (on average the 2-3 year mark). And supposedly this has been with good care on bikes that are garaged. The company does not extend the warranty period in these cases according to the unhappy customers.

I guess it's possible the product has been improved at this point and no longer suffers from this problem...but who knows?

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was kinda hot to get an F4, but a number of owners report that the proprietary coating goes bad sometimes (clouding the shield), but always after the 2-year warranty period is up (on average the 2-3 year mark). And supposedly this has been with good care on bikes that are garaged. The company does not extend the warranty period in these cases according to the unhappy customers.

I guess it's possible the product has been improved at this point and no longer suffers from this problem...but who knows?
Optic Armor came with a 4 year warranty and the date it was made along with my order number is stamped right into the bottom corner of the screen.

I Order it late Friday night (Ebay), and the made date is stamped 4/29/13 (Monday) and I got it on 5/2, Thursday.

Im pretty impressed with it so far.

And unlike the F4, This one has some adjustment to it. I can't go all the way down to the last notch as the sides hid the rubber on the mirrors, but I can go up even more if I need to.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
F4

This other company does not make the F4 windshields. F4 has a proprietary process and coating and has a reputation of great performance and customer service. There is only one F4.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.