Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Would it be feasable or even possible to put and 83 GL motor, which I believe has a Reverse gear, into the frame of an 81 or 82 GL ?

I'm disbled now with leg problems and have attached a sidecar to my 81 GL 1100 I. Without a reverse gear. This makes it a problem when needing to back up even though the bike in not apt to fall over when I get off and push it backwards. I do have access to the use of my legs to walk, but to hold my GW up at stops or when it gets to leaning off center is more than my legs can handle.

Anyway, it would be cheaper for me to find and engine with reverse or a damaged GW with the engine in good condition than it would be to purchase a newer GW with the reverse already a part of the unit. Just say, I have a lot of time on my hands to do the work, just not a lot of money for a newer GW.

Rockhound Rider :coollep:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

83 will fit in a 81 or 82 they are the same motor..I don't think any had a reverse at least not listed in the manual..but I could be wrong..

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Reverse didn't come out till the 1500 Aspencade. Out of luck for the earlier models.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

NO reverse till 90,s I believe. I have heard of guys putting reverse on the side car.
Cant find where I read that at the moment

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Reverse didn't come out till the 1500 Aspencade. Out of luck for the earlier models.
Bagmaster is correct.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Jeff M wrote:
Bagmaster wrote:
Bagmaster is correct.
Technically, he is not.(sorry Bag:cooldevil:) The first two year models of the 1500were not called Aspencades, and they had reverse. But this falls more under "trivia teaser" than anything else. :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
imported post

In the '80's, a kit was sold as a reverse. It was an electric motor that could be moved to engage the rear tire with a rubber roller on the shaft and back it up. I don't remember who made it but I guess it worked. Any one else remember that, or am I the only old guy ? :) Doug

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

dougbo wrote:
In the '80's, a kit was sold as a reverse. It was an electric motor that could be moved to engage the rear tire with a rubber roller on the shaft and back it up. I don't remember who made it but I guess it worked. Any one else remember that, or am I the only old guy ? :) Doug

Your the old guy:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:, hey you brought it on, I couldn't pass it up, OK shoot me now:gunhead:

if I remember, it was the same motor based on the early wheelchair drives. A very small, low geared motor friction drivethat didn't last long for bikes. I think it was used more on bicycles more than motorbikes.

I bet something like this could be worked into the side car. Would have to have a release arm.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

the 1988 GL1500 was the first year with reverse.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Reverse was not on all GL1500's. In 1994 only the SE and Aspencade had reverse and the '94 Interstate did not. This info taken from my 1994 GoldWing brochure. According to my '98 brochure there were two models: SE & Aspencade and they both had reverse. Just a little trivia!

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I wonder if a local shop could set up a starter or 12 volt motor on the side car axle that you could use as a reverse?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

You can use a starter motor for reverse on the side car or the bike and you can wire it to work forward as well, I have a friend that has done this. Works very well at the touch of a rocker switch on his handle bars.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum mittelme

This is a 3 year old thread and Rockhound Rider has not posted anything since june 20th 2009. You may not get an answer from him.
The only GL1000-1200 with reverse I have seen on here was a trike with a VW rear end w/trans axle and it had reverse & 4 speeds along with the bike's 5 speed.
Shalom

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,937 Posts
imported post

dougbo wrote:
I don't think you are the only "old guy", but perhaps your senility is more advanced. :tongue:

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

On my other bike my reverse weighs about 115lbs and sits behind me. Very expensive accessory, but worth it. :)

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

I have similar issues with my '82/Auburn rig. I make it a practice to always select a "pull thru" parking spot or park in a slot that slopes uphill if I find I have to back out. If a pull thru isn't available, I look for 2 slots next to each other. I've gotten pretty good at turning 'er 180* within 2 spaces!

Parking 'er in a downhill, deadend slot is a BIG mistake. I only did that ONCE!!
:hoppingmad:

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

OldSchool_IsCool wrote:
I have similar issues with my '82/Auburn rig. I make it a practice to always select a "pull thru" parking spot or park in a slot that slopes uphill if I find I have to back out. If a pull thru isn't available, I look for 2 slots next to each other. I've gotten pretty good at turning 'er 180* within 2 spaces!

Parking 'er in a downhill, deadend slot is a BIG mistake. I only did that ONCE!!
:hoppingmad:
As you've seen no reverse available. But you do get to read the road better and work out the cambers and slopes to your advntage.
You can make it work without reverse just takes getting used to
Good luck
Bo

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

The original poster only came here and posted during June of 2009 so I doubt he is still monitoring this thread or possibly even the site, but since it has been lifted from the pages of history, here is the way to find correct info on the history of the Goldwings......

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/drwCustom.php?page=goldwing_history

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.