Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone care to loan me one for the 86 gl1200I. I'll cover shipping to and from and would be most greatful:)

Thanks, Ray

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I just used a drift and a hammer to get the nut started, but it does bugger it up some.... you might also try a peice of pipe, and fabricate the four tab do-hicky you need

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

You can build your own out of an old socket or a piece of pipe and a piece of flatbar.The other part of the tool is just a metric allen wrench.I opted for the pipe and flatbar so that my allen socket would fit through the middle so that I could hold my bearing preload torque while tightening the lock nut.Here's a picture of mine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

Another view.
If you use a socket your allen wrench won't go through the center to hold the preload adjustment.When you are tightening the locknut you could inadvertantly over tighten your preload adjustment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Hi Chris,

It's a great looking tool, I sure could have used one a couple years ago when I had to do rear end work on my 1200.

Not everyone had the capability to fabricate a tool like that. I tried once to make one out of a socket. You'd laugh out loud if you saw my results.

You could probably make a couple extra bucks on the side if you offered to make them for people in need. Probably not enough to make it well worth your time, but still maybe enough to make it worth saving someones tail....

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

I made one and shipped it to a guy in Kansas(if I remember right).Wasn't looking for any money or anything,but the guy kind of cheesed me off because he never even said thanks or even let me know if it worked for him.If someone is stuck I would definitely make them one.Would just like a thanks if it works for you.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I hear you about lack of gratitude. I got a whole lot of it for this site and you folks on here. Chris I sent you a pm. I don't know if I could be able to make one so I'll keep looking.

Thanks, Ray

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

A [shadow=gray]Big Thank You[/shadow]to[shadow=gray]Fatwing Chris[/shadow]

for hooking me up with the swingarm tool.

Ride Safe my friends, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

fatwing chris wrote:
You can build your own out of an old socket or a piece of pipe and a piece of flatbar.The other part of the tool is just a metric allen wrench.I opted for the pipe and flatbar so that my allen socket would fit through the middle so that I could hold my bearing preload torque while tightening the lock nut.Here's a picture of mine.
Can you let me know the dimensions of the tube you used Chris? I can probably persuade an engineer friend to make a few of those up and then we could loan them out when needed.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

Sent you a PM Steve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.