Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am thinking about selling my Valkyrie. (Just thinking! Don't be sending me PM's quite yet!)

I know this seems rather weird but the bottom line is this: I am totally in love with my Goldwing. In my mind, nothing compares. I like having the full tail trunk. I like the capacity and the versatility. I like being able to find accessories. I find that when I work on a bike, I usually work on my wing. When I have both bikes to ride... I almost always ride the wing. The Valkyrie is always my fall-back ride. I keep thinking about the 6K I easily have tied up in the Valkyrie that could be applied to the purchase of a decent 1800. This distresses me. I am torn.

I feel this bike deserves to have an owner who is totally devoted to it.... or at least has the means to show it due justice above what I can.

The Valk looks great! It is a nice ride. It is mechanically sound. It has been adequately modified but not unduly altered. However, the physical and financial strain of having two such bikes, while it is not killing me, is significant. (Mostly emotionally. It's like having two girlfriends... overtly complicated and difficult to manage for any long term period.) While I will admit, I like having two bikes. I am not sure if the Valk is the "proper" second bike for me. Perhaps, I could just as easily be satisfied with a Silverwing scooter as a second ride... or maybe a Shadow... or a ST-1300...

I know I am going to regret this...

I often find myself thinking that this highly prized "collectors bike" would be better served in the hands of someone that REALLY loves it far, far... (I mean FAR) more than I do.

It's like having a Playmate trophy wife! Fun to show off and ride around for awhile... but not a daily rider.... and certainly not for any real distance. At least not for me. Not for the way I ride. I have ridden both and compared... my wing is still my best and favourite ride.

Thoughts... comments... suggestions...

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

You gotta do what you think is right, if thats the way you feel, you probobly couldnt of picked a better forum to belong to, cuz someone on here would LOVE to have your Valk...But try this first...No matter what, dont ride the Valk for say 30 days no matter what.If you arent itching to ride it after that, sell it...or wait till spring. Only way to see if you can do without it, is to actually do without it..Good luck, and if i had the money for a second bike, it'd be a Valk.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Go with your heart my friend! I did!

Dubs

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I don't own a Valk, so that part of me says keep it.....

But I like the idea of selling both and upgrading to a descent milaged 2003 - 2006 1800. If you like to ride, that would be the bike to ride.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

Sell it if you want. Get a 1800 if that's what moves you.
Life's too short to be stuck with something that doesn't ring your bell.

My Valk is pretty cool, it is comfortable enough for me and the woman to tour on and I don't have much money in it, so I think I'll keep it.

But..... I would like to have a faster bike.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
imported post

I have a Valk Intersate, and while i love it, and would not think of selling it, I to think it would be nice on those really long trips to have some of the creature comforts afforded to the riders of the 1800s.

My valk has a personal family meaning to me, so for me to get an 1800, it would not be to sell the valk, but add yet another bike to the stable. Let us know what you decide.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

I had the I/S and really enjoyed the bike but I founded it was getting hard to find accessories for it and when you did they wanted arm & leg so I sold it and bought an one owner GL1500 :action:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I have to admit I gave my left kidney for a Rivco center stand and that didn't even include the side rail grips required to heave it onto the stand...

I'm gonna have to fabricate something...

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

I had EXACTLY the same situation with my Valk and it went on for a long time. Eventually I realised, like you, that I wasn't using it much at all so sold it rather than carry on looking at it in a guilty way in the garage. The good news is it's soon forgotten once it's gone and I felt better that the decision was made.

Picture of my pride and joy Valk attached which now lives in snowy Finland

Attachments

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I had the same issue with my Kawasaki Nomad 1600.

I like the combination of the 1500 and my Silverwing. The step through and fast in town bike is just perfect for me.

I have had quite a few nice bikes in my life. I just sell and move on.

I always say, don't love anything that can't love you back.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

norton wrote:
My Valk is pretty cool, it is comfortable enough for me and the woman to tour on and I don't have much money in it, so I think I'll keep it.

I dunno, Nort. You and Nina pulled into Bob Scott campground not all that long after I got there, so your ride ain't no Slouch!. .... Ya, ... I got caught up in those two construction delays after Eureka, but still ..... :cool:

Do what your heart/wallet tells you T

Kind oflike ...should I stay, or should I go now. :baffling:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

So you're thinking of finding something other than a Goldwing? Crotch rocket maybe?

Check out these numbers:

Goldwing 1800
1/4 mile in 13.138 @ 99.84
'06 Goldwing 1/4 mile specs

Valkyrie 1500
1/4 mile in 11.60 @114.35
'97 Valk 1/4 mile specs

:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

DB:
we got caught in that construction too. :X

I will admit that we might have been traveling at a pretty "spirited" pace. :cool:

FWIW: I believe that there ain't no such thing as:
a girl that is too pretty,
or a motorcycle that is too fast.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

:laughing:... ya ... I was up into the 90-100 zone for a while there myself. Not as if there is a whole lot of traffic out there on 50! I knew you had to be smokin it!

I agree with you on those two points ..... you just have to know how to handle both of 'em.;)

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Why would anyone ride that fast?

While I am sure it is a RUSH... I would postulate it is just that... a RUSH. Fast!

Not that I have any grudge against speed...

I am just not interested in being that much of a hurry. Life is not just about the distance you cover in your time on earth... it's about how well you have experienced that distance.

Just look at all that marvelous undeveloped desert that is just RUSHING by you... unnoticed... because you are doing 120 MPH.

All that is lost...

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

The Rush? Oh yeah!
The only reason that I was cruising at 120 mph was because I was starting to get a little speed wobble over 125 mph.
I think the reason for it was because I was riding two up and had a bunch of camping gear loaded on the back.

Not that it matters... but I rode that same 145 mile stretch of road 3 times in less than 24 hours, we seen the scenery.

and before anyone says it, yes, we were 2 up.
in fact, my woman was the one that took the pic.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Those that never do, ..... never know. :sleepy:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

norton wrote:
The Rush? Oh yeah!
The only reason that I was cruising at 120 mph was because I was starting to get a little speed wobble over 125 mph.
I think the reason for it was because I was riding two up and had a bunch of camping gear loaded on the back.

Not that it matters... but I rode that same 145 mile stretch of road 3 times in less than 24 hours, we seen the scenery.

and before anyone says it, yes, we were 2 up.
in fact, my woman was the one that took the pic.
Alrighty then... I find most folks have reasons for what they do... sounds like good enough one for me.

Me... I love the desert! I love it's emptiness... it purity. It not really about it being "pretty" or "attractive" to look at. It's that I relish it's lonesome nature. As my time in the desert is hard purchased by 190 days per year of dealing with about 200 teenagers per day... it just seems to be a waste to hurry through it's blissful emptiness.

Some times... I just pull over at some totally random place... park the bike and just wander off into so arroyo and sit for a hour or two... just to bathe my brain in it's unassuming quiet.

I am a addict. I absolutely must have a certain amount of this annually, or the murder rate at my high school would spike sharply!

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

I know what you mean about being an addict.

I have to make it out into the nothingness every now and then just to keep my head adjusted.
Fortunately, places like Canyonlands, Arches, Monument Valley, etc. are only a few hours (about 3) ride from here.

I tried to leave the four corners area not too long ago, but the place called me back. I'm certain that the quality of riding in this area played a huge part in our return.

Give me those wide open spaces anytime!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

norton wrote:
I know what you mean about being an addict.

I have to make it out into the nothingness every now and then just to keep my head adjusted.
Fortunately, places like Canyonlands, Arches, Monument Valley, etc. are only a few hours (about 3) ride from here.

I tried to leave the four corners area not too long ago, but the place called me back. I'm certain that the quality of riding in this area played a huge part in our return.

Give me those wide open spaces anytime!
Utah 313 out to Dead Horse point is one of my favourites.

Utah 12 from Torrey to Bryce Canyon ain't to shabby either... there this one place where the pucker factor is about 9.8...

And Arizona 67 down to the north rim is a cool run too...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.