Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

ok, symptoms: When I first start the bike up, it will start and idle fine but if you try to give it gas the engine tries to die everytime and it will spit and sputter with misfire but if you leave it alone it idles fine. I leave it sit idling until the temp gauge reaches running temperature and then it runs fine. It will take gas, accelerate great. But (always a but) after 20+ miles it starts misfiring and trying to die. I will stop and let it sit for about 5 minutes and then it will start right back up and run fine. When it dies I can smell fuel really strong and it acts like a couple of my cylinders are not firing. I have good compression in all cylinders and someone here said it sounded like my pulse generators are heating up and failing. Any suggestions? Thank you for any help you can offer!

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

I have a similar issue with my 82 Interstate. Not as bad though. It starts idles and accelerates fine. After riding a while it will run rough at lower rpms like it's missing on one cylinder. If I keep riding it usually goes away off and on. Not trying to hijack here. I'll be watching this thread though in hopes of getting to the bottom of my issue. Good luck with yours AT43

Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

No problem seca40, if someone would be able to help both of us that would be great...kill 2 birds with 1 stone :action:

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

I would check both P/G and TPS and I noticed your mileage is getting up there and you are in a hot climate, see if you can get an inspection mirror and light , inspect the tubes and hoses under the fuel injection/ throttle body for heat/ dry rotting splitting, I just went through this and it causes all sorts of weird things to happen. Good Luck!:12beige:

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Ok thank you...one question...I know the P/G is the pulse generator and how do I check that also, what is TPS?? Am I showing what I know :shock::cheeky1:

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Your pulse generators would need to heat up before they fail in most cases. your bike has issues right from start up. I think your problem is more fuel related.

Has your bike been sitting all winter or did this problem just start? A little more history would help narrow it down.

Year of bike would help as well.

If you have 4 carbs on that bike, you dont have a tps (Throttle position sensor)

If your fuel injected, than you do!

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

The TPS(Throttle position sensor) is located on the left forward fuel rail of the throttle body and not readily changeable, I wasreading after my last post through your previous problems you posted and the symptoms are very similar to whatI have been experiencing and that's what I found, bad hoses. I will let the better guru's on the LTD's explain the tps sensor.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

activitytom43 wrote:
Ok thank you...one question...I know the P/G is the pulse generator and how do I check that also, what is TPS?? Am I showing what I know :shock::cheeky1:
Pulse Generator Inspection

Remove the top compartment
Measure resistance: White/yellow and yellow leads (1 -2 cylinders), White/blue and blue leads (3-4 cylinders).
Resistance at 20" C (68" F), 330 +- 33 Ohms

This is for the Aspencade I presume the same for LTD

I would buy a new set, install them, if the problem goes away, you won. If not, you have a spare set,

one thing at a time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

it is a 1985 GL1200 LTD. The bike sat for 4yrs without running. It is fuel injected. The only thing is I have went over the complete fuel system and if it was fuel why would it have to warm up before it would take gas? That is the part confusing me. After it is warm it runs great.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

one other thing...when I first got the bike and got it running it would run spuratically (sp?). The engine would race and slow down, race and slow down. Not race too high but it would still up and down until the engine was warm then it would even out and run smooth. After 2 months or so of this it quit doing that and now when I start it, it starts and runs at regular idle (1020 rpms) but it will not accelerate until the temp gauge is at operating temp.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Your not being consistent in your posts:

"But (always a but) after 20+ miles it starts misfiring and trying to die. I will stop and let it sit for about 5 minutes and then it will start right back up and run fine."

"it is a 1985 GL1200 LTD. The bike sat for 4yrs without running. It is fuel injected. The only thing is I have went over the complete fuel system and if it was fuel why would it have to warm up before it would take gas? That is the part confusing me. After it is warm it runs great."

Which is it?

If it is dying after driving for a while, I would check the PG's

Once you have determined they are OK possibly by replacing then you can go further.

Click here for an excellent post on the workings of the CFI

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

sorry if I am not being consistant but that is EXACTLY what it does. When I first got the bike and got it running it would run spuratically (sp?). The engine would race and slow down, race and slow down. Not race too high but it would still up and down until the engine was warm then it would even out and run smooth. After 2 months or so of this it quit doing that and now when I start it, it starts and runs at regular idle (1020 rpms) but it will not accelerate until the temp gauge is at operating temp. It idles smooth but WILL NOT TAKE GAS until it warms up, once it is at OPERATING TEMP it will take gas and run smooth. BUT AFTER 20 to 23 miles (distance to my work) it starts to cut out and backfire and I smell fuel. I PULL OVER and let is SIT FOR 5 MINUTES or so and it runs fine again. I apologize if this seems inconsistant but this is what it does and I have no idea of what to check first. A friend of mine here said pulse generators and thus this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Hello Tom, I had the pulse generators in my 86 Interstate fail last year. My symptoms were very different thatn yours. My bike would start and run fine until it got hot. As soon as it got hot the bike would die just like someone flipped the kill switch. If I tried to restart immediately, it would sputter and cough and backfire like crazy, but would not run. If I let if cool down, it would start and run great. It sounds like your problem is both hot and cold if it won't take gas while warming up. I think you need to look elsewhere for your problem....maybe fuel pump? Good luck.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thank you nsjoe...I appreciate it and I think I have it narrowed down now. I know it sounded strange with all the different behaviours and it has been strange to me but this is how it has been acting. I think it is positively my TPS but I will know more after work today. I do want to thank everyone for all of the input and it all has been helpful. This has been aggrivating from the get go because I am not familiar with fuel injection and I have an issue paying $75.00 an hour for someone to look at it. Thanks again :waving:

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

If your tps is dirty with carbon, it might not work properly. You can buy sensor cleaner in a spray can to clean the reading surface!

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thank you hatchetman...at this point I am willing to try anything. Will I have to remove the TPS to clean it?

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

it's easier that way. when i serviced my last pick up, I pulled the throttle body off & cleaned that too, It was pretty coked up with carbon. It ran way better once everything was clean!

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

You may have two concerns, my experiance is with autos mostly but it sounds like you are lean when cold (not enough fuel) things that come to mind are low fuel pressure, faulty eng coolant temp sensor or ambiant air temp sensor, restricted injectors, faulty fuel pressure regulator. Not sure what is used on your bike but thats where I would head If it was my bike.
The hot driving concern may be the pulse generators, or it could be leaning out enough that cylinders are miss firing, has the fuel filter been changed, are the injectors possibly plugged? Sea Foam treatment may help.
Shimmy

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Hey Tom, when you do figure it out, please let us know.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Problem solved!!!! I was way out of range thinking it was the pulse generators. It turned out to be the TP after all. I replaced it and she is back on the road running strong. Thank you to everyone who helped with input.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.