Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 83 GL 1100 Standard that I am trying to change the front wheel bearings on. I have taken everything off and can see the bearings (they are in rough shape) but cannot figure out how to get them out. Is there a special tool I need toget them out and put the new ones in. Also,when I rotated the axle I noticed it wasbent. Can the axle be straightened out or doI need to find a straight one?:X

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

Robo...find a new axle..don"t try to fix...might break later....when you have axle (salvage yard, Ebay or new) take it and the wheel to a bearing shop where they will professionally fit new bearings to match......easy!!!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Robo wrote:
I have an 83 GL 1100 Standard that I am trying to change the front wheel bearings on. I have taken everything off and can see the bearings (they are in rough shape) but cannot figure out how to get them out. Is there a special tool I need toget them out and put the new ones in. Also,when I rotated the axle I noticed it wasbent. Can the axle be straightened out or doI need to find a straight one?:X
Robo, those wheel bearing aren't too bad to get out..

Find a bolt, rod or, pipe that will just fit the inner diameter of the bearing axlehole,, cut the bolt, rod, or pipe about 3" or so long,, then use a hack saw or die grinder wheel & cut a 1-1/2" long slot in the end of that bolt (make the slot wide enough to insert a heavy duty screw driver tipin the slot).. If using a hacksaw maybe use a double blade for slotthickness.

Once the "tool" is made, insert the split tool intoa wheel bearing then space the wheel up on blocks of wood (or whatever) so the tool is just sticking through the inner side of the bearing & the outer end of the tool is solidly sitting against something hard like the cement floor,, then drive a large screwdriver solidly into the slot in the tool until it expands the tool into the bearing's center.. Then space the wheel up farther until the tool clears the floor (or stand the wheel up on it's tire)-- At this time a couple of good solid wraps on the screwdriver with a hammer & the bearing will come right out. Once one bearing is out the other side will just drive straight out with a drift or rod.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

A long bolt or rod sharpened to a point will easiily get a grip on the lip of the bearing and a good wallop or two with a hammer will bang it out.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

DJ wrote:
A long bolt or rod sharpened to a point will easiily get a grip on the lip of the bearing and a good wallop or two with a hammer will bang it out.
That puts it in a nutshell. It's just a matter of getting the pointed drift to get a grip on the bearing.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

A thin poker for me, sharpened to a point. A few wallops of a hammer and bingo.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Similar for me, I used a length of 1/2" square steel bar and sharpened one end like a chisel and just beat the bearings out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.