Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am trying to put my dad's 1981 GL1100 back on the road and I keep getting skunked trying to find rebuildable used front calipers. I can't seem to find anything new for this. Does anyone have a recommendation for a source for new calipers or a plausible retrofit that does not involve changing out the entire front end?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I ask because i have a pair of NOS GL 1000 caliper halves that piston fits in but not sure if yours has the unboltable caliper halves or the one on sliding pins?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Havent got those sorry, what is the problem with yours, i have seen pistons and seals on ebay

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cylinder walks are scored. I have two additional used sets and they look like they’re probably scored too. Seems to be a common issue and it renders them unusable.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
The cylinder walls don't need to be perfect, it's the pistons & the seal grooves that need to be smooth. I have lots of 80-81 calipers, even a full front brake setup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ones I have were rebuilt by a pro and they still leak. If you’ve got something clean, I’d be interested.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The seal groove needs to be cleaned out good. I made special tool out of a spoke to scrape out the crud. Has a 90 degree bend and sharpened to reach the hard to reach area you can't see without a small mirror.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
The ones I have were rebuilt by a pro and they still leak. If you’ve got something clean, I’d be interested.
I'll have to see if I can find it and if it's all still good. Been a couple years since I put it away.
It would help if you filled out your profile with your location, we might be neighbors.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,166 Posts
I'll have to see if I can find it and if it's all still good. Been a couple years since I put it away.
It would help if you filled out your profile with your location, we might be neighbors.

He is on Comcast Cable, and the IP address suggests:
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

would help if he would verify that

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
I'll PM you with details if you want the calipers. The master cylinder needs a kit.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
PM (conversation) sent.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Hello. I am trying to put my dad's 1981 GL1100 back on the road and I keep getting skunked trying to find rebuildable used front calipers. I can't seem to find anything new for this. Does anyone have a recommendation for a source for new calipers or a plausible retrofit that does not involve changing out the entire front end?
Call Used Motorcycle Parts, Salvage Parts | Tifton, GA. They are located in Tifton Ga. . Just left a complete gl1100 with spare calipers and new brakes.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Hello, check if you put the beveled side on backwards. It's the bevel that allows for the piston to return after the pressure is removed. The seal deforms when the piston pushes out. The rubber then wants to return to normal. If the piston is pushing with the direction of the bevel then the piston is sliding along and dosen't deform the seal. And it will leak. If there's is no return motion that's a very small movement of the caliper when the pressure is released. No return motion is a sure indication that the seal are on backwards. You have to get a magnifying glass to examine the seal, to see the bevel. The outside edge of the seal should be square cut, that goes into the caliper groove. The inside of the seal one edge is slightly longer than the other, this gives it the bevel, which you can feel the peak edge with a finger. Now if the piston slides with the bevel, that is to say pushing the pointy end out, the seal won't deform. Put the raised, pointy, end so the piston pushes on that side first then the seal will deform over itself. Then when you let off the brake pedal the pressure is released and the seal, being made of rubber wants to go to its normal and pushes the piston back, and with no leaks. If the caliper is letting the fluid out over night, maybe slightly, brake fluid evaporates, put a paper towel there if it's wet or has stains after sitting over night, that's the kind of leak from seal on backwards. Don't forget to clean the rotors with brake cleaner. If not riding for some time then apply the brakes every so often to keep the seal lubricated and supple, preventing that kind of leak.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
BTW, this is why you can't get seal kits for most vehicles because if the seals are installed incorrectly with catastrophic consequences. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
476 Posts
There is no bevel on a piston seal, the base of the seal groove is machined at a slight angle so the seal turns into a diamond shape.
As you apply the brake the seal twists slightly and it is only this that pulls the piston back. The groove needs to be super clean and zero pitting on the piston for proper operation

1 - 20 of 22 Posts