Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am trying to put my dad's 1981 GL1100 back on the road and I keep getting skunked trying to find rebuildable used front calipers. I can't seem to find anything new for this. Does anyone have a recommendation for a source for new calipers or a plausible retrofit that does not involve changing out the entire front end?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I ask because i have a pair of NOS GL 1000 caliper halves that piston fits in but not sure if yours has the unboltable caliper halves or the one on sliding pins?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cylinder walks are scored. I have two additional used sets and they look like they’re probably scored too. Seems to be a common issue and it renders them unusable.

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts
The cylinder walls don't need to be perfect, it's the pistons & the seal grooves that need to be smooth. I have lots of 80-81 calipers, even a full front brake setup.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The seal groove needs to be cleaned out good. I made special tool out of a spoke to scrape out the crud. Has a 90 degree bend and sharpened to reach the hard to reach area you can't see without a small mirror.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts
The ones I have were rebuilt by a pro and they still leak. If you’ve got something clean, I’d be interested.
I'll have to see if I can find it and if it's all still good. Been a couple years since I put it away.
It would help if you filled out your profile with your location, we might be neighbors.

·
Administrator
58,732 Posts
I'll have to see if I can find it and if it's all still good. Been a couple years since I put it away.
It would help if you filled out your profile with your location, we might be neighbors.

He is on Comcast Cable, and the IP address suggests:
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

would help if he would verify that

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts
I'll PM you with details if you want the calipers. The master cylinder needs a kit.

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts
PM (conversation) sent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts