Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I did a search but could not find anything.

My 'new' 77 has a Dyna III and I would like to do a static time on the bike and I don't want to risk damage to the unit becuase I don't have all the parts to covert it back to points if I mess it up.

Thanks in advance (pun intended),

Bill

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

When you static timed your ignition where did you connent your test light leads too ? was it somewhere on the plate itself or where the wires plug into the harness ?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

eyeore302000 wrote:
When you static timed your ignition where did you connent your test light leads too ? was it somewhere on the plate itself or where the wires plug into the harness ?
I connected the 'test light' (side marker light from an old Ford harness I had) to where the factory condenser once was. The harness has a double female connectors there, and the Dyna III system connects to there as well. Really easy to do.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

This bike runs AWESOME!!

The final issue was that a prior owner swapped out the coils, AND left the Dyna III's Power Resistor on the old coils. The old coils were in one of the boxes of parts that came with the bike. Installed the P.R. and the issues are gone.

Bill

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

got the static timimng figured out had a bad test light at first now on to the next issue. Did you time it with a light after static timimng it ? If so what did you use for a window in place of the timing cap ?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

eyeore302000 wrote:
got the static timimng figured out had a bad test light at first now on to the next issue. Did you time it with a light after static timimng it ? If so what did you use for a window in place of the timing cap ?
I have screw in window (two really)made for the job, but I almost never use them anyway. They are good for checking the spark advance but I would never set the base timing with one.

Bill

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Martek Timing

Anyone know how to time a Martek unit? Same way as Dyna?

Got one on a 77 GL1000 I've just reconverted to 4 carbs and want to check it out. Also: Anyone know where to get one of those nifty clear timing covers?
Cheers,
Peter

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
I have it as well on my download page.
Direct to .pdf here.
I've many ignition sheets there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.