Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

While in New York My starter stayed electrically engaged for a few seconds after a start. It disengaged after I turned off the key and restarted. I had no more problems the next two weeks while on the way home. Today I went to get a cigar and when I started the bike the starter stayed engaged again. Turning off the key had no effect on the stopping the stater. So I was just 1/4 mile from home so I just drove it home with the starer running. But when I entered the garage the starter stopped and I turned off the key.

Now I have read on this forum it could be the starter relay. I see two relays with heavy cable going to them one near the positive batter terminal and attached the battery box with a rubber holder, one, much lower and forward near rear brake peddle after you remove the plastic cover.

Which one is the possible bad relay and what do both do. Both make a click when you hit the starter button and if you remove the black cable from the lower relay and hit the starter button the relays click but no power the starter motor.

Thanks
RICK
P.S. We had a Great trip 14 states and Canada 3900 miles one starter scare in new york

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
imported post

It has to be the one near the battery (A) giving the trouble, power has to go through it to get to the second one (B).

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I would say your solenoid is sticking

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

could be the solenoid or the starter button itself, next time try flicking the starter button a couple times to see if it stops, you may rule out a problem, if not go to the solenoid beside the battery

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

It looks like i am being victimized by the run-on starter problem on the 1500s. I think i need to replace the starter contact solenoid. The one close the the battery rt side. I see many replacements on ebay for much less money than OEM units. Have any of you had any experience with these ebay units as to fit and quality. Some say you must modify the system to use the one they are selling, other say the unit is a direct replacement. OEM about 70.00+ USD

RICK

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

onevw wrote:
It looks like i am being victimized by the run-on starter problem on the 1500s. I think i need to replace the starter contact solenoid. The one close the the battery rt side. I see many replacements on ebay for much less money than OEM units. Have any of you had any experience with these ebay units as to fit and quality. Some say you must modify the system to use the one they are selling, other say the unit is a direct replacement. OEM about 70.00+ USD

RICK
I got one from this guy. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MB0-New-Starter-Relay-Solenoid-Honda-GL-1500-GoldWing-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5add042aa1QQitemZ390255094433QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It fixed the problem for me and works great.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

On mine the starter button is sticking and the starter will quit if I turn the key off. Inreading your post it looks like it would be a soleniod as the starter button loses power when you turn off thekey. Would look at the soleniod first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.