Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had a couple of hours to kill in town today, and UBW Jr was with me-he's 17.

We went by the kaw/honda dealer and threw our legs over a few bikes. He sat onthe dn-01, looked up at me and smiled.

"This feels good":action:

He also liked the way the 14concourse felt.

Then we went to the BMW dealer, he liked the gs650...

I wonder how long now before he wants to ride?;)

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

UBarW wrote:
I had a couple of hours to kill in town today, and UBW Jr was with me-he's 17.

I wonder how long now before he wants to ride?;)
Probably about 12 hours ago! :action:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

My grandfather rode until he was 76, my father rode until he died at 51, I have rode since I was old enough to hold a license. My sons do not ride. I often wonder how much fun it would be to take a trip with my sons. Get your son a bike and enjoy life together. Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy life with my sons but just not on a bike. I always thought it would be cool.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

My son is 20 and never expressed an interest in riding. After i got the gl1000 and started rebuilding it he got into helping and then kinda took over, now we ride all the time it is a great mutual good time for us to spend time together. i think it is a great thing for two people of age/interest variation to have something they both like to do. too many familes grow apart because of diverse interests. but when my son was younger we took up trap shooting. ok ok i am rambling,

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

Go ahead get him a bike. Do some riding together and make some memories. As soon as my 7yr old is able I am getting him a bike and make some memories myself.I already ride with him in the passanger seat.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

I was 7 when I started riding, On homemade mini bikes and anything anybody would let me try.

But I was 12 before I owned my own bike that I rode to school through the fields and cow paths.

And it hasn't ended yet.

I hope to ride long enough to need a Trike and a wheel chair or crutches to get me to and from the trike.

BUT then again,

I have introduced many friends to Motorcycles that got killed on them.

But again it was rarely their fault and they were loving life right up until that moment so I can't be sad.

Good Luck and Love the Wind and the Freedom.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

I got my 1st. bike at age 14, a honda 55 sport. It wasn't big, but my 1st. ride gave me a sense of freedom that I had never felt before. I still get that feeling every time I ride. I am prety sure you feel the same when you ride. Giving that gift to your son would be awsome.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Get him a 250 sized dirt bike that is street legal. Perfect for a 17 year old to learn on.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Its funny, about two years ago he said he thought a ruckus would be cool. Fast forward two years and hes slobbering on a concours... LOL

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Chip off the ole block - go for it :cool::cool::action::action::action:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

4evermetric wrote:
Get him a 250 sized dirt bike that is street legal. Perfect for a 17 year old to learn on.
You betcha! If he's already sitting on them and "feeling good," he's a rider sure enough.......

Get him a 250 Yammie enduro, or, if he's a big kid, get the 250 Kawwie KLR. 4evermetric's got it right, a dirt or dual sport will probably keep him alive long enough for that CBR600, or Ducati, or whatever...... Get him a dualie and send him to school, and then restrict his riding for awhile to secondary roads....... and go with him!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

I have said it before.

If you help yourson (or daughter) start riding by helping buy the first bike, you have somecontrol of the choice of bike, its use and the training they will take.

If you wait just one year he will be 18 and if he has a job and money he can make a poor choice of a first bike and you willhave very little or nocontrol of the training or use.

Work with your kids and make the memories that will last them and you a lifetime.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Be a good Dad. . . . . . Get him the Connie . . . . . in red. :)

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
imported post

My first bike was at age 9... a Honda CB125. All my life I look back at those days with wonder and awe.

BUY HIM ONE!!! I know the mixed feelings this can bring but his life can only be protected so far for so long. Bikes have taught methe value of that life and how not to loose any more time with it than I already have.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Well, I wouldn't get him anything :shock:

I'd let him get his own :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

I started riding street bikes at 18 and my dad and I used to always ride together. Let me tell you since he has passed I miss those rides we used to take. As a father myself I look forward to the day my son and I can ride together as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.