Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I put the wrong oil on the air filter (GL1500) and rode the bike around the block. It was obviously running rich. so I took it home and cleaned the filter again.Now the bike acts like it is rich, or has a vacuum leak, even without the filter in place. I am assuming I caused a leak under the breather in one of the valves.

If I put my finger on the IASA tube in the breather, it idles and runs great. Can I just plug this hose with no ill effects, or is this needed?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

yes you need the iasa hooked in properly, but what kind of filter are you putting oil on? and it will not run right without an air filter nor should you want to ride it without it.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

he's probably talking about the sub air filter. it does need oil but also wrung out

mark z.:waving:

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

It has a K&N filter in it, it was a little dirty, so I cleaned it.K&N filters require oil, and I did not have any K&N oil, which is a very thin oil. I figured regular oil would work, I just put a very little on it. It was like putting a piece of cardboard over the breather, it would not let any air in. I figure it sucked a diaphram or something loose on the bottom side of the breather. I'll figure it out or :gunhead:

Thanks

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Or - put the original air filter back into the bike.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

YEA THROW THAT K&N OUT

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:I only use an OEM airfilter on my '83 Interstate and would not wast my money on a K&N.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

not sure if the K&N filter is reusable, you could try compressed air reversed through the filter to clean it up.

had probems before with the pipes, ie trying to balance the carbs on a 1500, would not run at all, strange stuff,

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
imported post

Clean the filter with spray carb cleaner and re-oil. You need not but K/N oil, there are many brands, I would suggest using a spray type on a rigid reusable filter, leave the liquid for detachable foam filters.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

My problem right now is it acts like it has a vacuum leak unless I hold my finger over the fitting on the breather box. I can't seem to figure out what is up. I figure when I drove it with a stopped up filter, the suction was making a negative pressure in the system under the breather and caused a leak underneath somewhere. As of now I have not found it, I will try again tomorrow if I get a chance......

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

If it were me, I would diagnose by buying a stock filter and replace. I am not a K+N naysayer, I have one on my GL1200.

I believe the K+N can be salvaged by washing it in hot water and dishsoap, then letting it dry and re-oiling.

Marty

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

donnie hagan wrote:
Problem fixed, Thanks to everybody who helped!
Okay, so what was the fix?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.