Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The carb linkage on my barn queen is frozen. I took the carbs off the bike in hopes of getting things freed up.

I found some PB Blaster at MPE. But man, did I screw up.

I removed the intake tubes and did a "feel around". The inner butterflies were moving pretty smoothly on all carbs. The outer butterflies were "frozen".

I sprayed the PB all around the outer butterflies and let it set for a couple hours. When I returned, the PB had drained past the butterflies. However, they were still frozen!!

This is where it gets bubba....

I thought that if I just "tapped" them a little, with the soft end of a very, very small screwdriver, I could help them to move. W-R-O-N-G

Now, not only do I have 4 carbs with outboard butterflies that still don't move, I also have 4 "BENT!!!" butterflies.

So, it looks like major surgery is in order. I need to order 4 carb rebuild kits (wife will like that - NOT), and find good instructions.

I have a Clymer's manual. Do you think that is good enough? I have yet to find any step-by-step instructions for a GL1100, only for the GL1000.

Do you think that I can flatten the butterflies back when the carbs are torn apart?
If not, anybody got some extras laying around ?

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a winner:gunhead:

I haven't seen any rebuild kits that include the butterflies but it doesn't mean there aren't any. Randakk http://www.randakks.com and Sirius http://www.siriusconinc.com might be able to help get you back on the road again.

Good luck,

-Joe-

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

Surely you can flatten them. If they were soft enough to bend that easy, they outta be soft enough to go back!:goofygrin:Maybe...hopefully...

Good luck with it.There are plenty of guys on here that can give 1100 advice. Let us know how it's going.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I am afraid that if I try to re-flatten them, they will lose their "round". Not much, but the tolerances are so tight...

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

flatten gently.

Better to take some extra time.

Also, ya gotta ask yourself,, now. if the guy at the factory was puttin this together - would he flatten them and install?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, probably!

Go easy, you'll be fine.

I had a week like that one afternoon!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

If I can't find any donors, I will be forced to do that. As you can tell from the original post, I can be a bit of a "bull in a china shop". Maybe that's why I had no interest in a career in explosives.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

I dunno,,,

I learn a heck of a lot more from my screw-ups than my successes

I oughta be pretty smart by now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

well, I are!!!!! but sometimes I gotta wonder about myself.

Check ebay - there is a section on Parts Bikes - sometimes you can buy a whole bike locally for what you would willinly pay for the parts you seek.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

actually, I am keeping my eyes out for a full carb setup for the GL1100. Use for parts that I lose or break :gunhead:

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
imported post

I have a spare set of carbs off an '81 that I probably need to get rid of. And I may be getting a parts bike soon, so there may be another set (maybe, if someone doesn't outbid me).

PM me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.