Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Well, where to begin? Since the wet farts brought you here (and you know it did!), I'll start there.
#1- Bike is running oh, so sweet. Since Bagmaster helped me sync the carbs the bike has run better than it ever has since I've had it.
About a month ago I started getting a bit of a backfire when slowing- it usually occurs around 1800 RPMs. Sometimes on left side, sometimes on right. And yes, it generally sounds like wet farts- nothing sharp or loud. What may or may not be a clue is that since the carb sync the idle has been at 500-600 rpm instead of the book's 900-1100. I like it where it is- the higher rpm always seemed to me to be too high. The wet farts occur whether I am down shifting or not. It's not a constant thing, and I'm not real worried about it, but thought I'd ask. They started well after the sync.
#2- oil changes-- the book says 8k miles between oil changes! I went to change the oil at 3k and it looked brand new. So it's still in there at 4500 miles. How often do you guys change yours?
#3- Shifting has always been kinda clunky. Not smooth and soundless, but I've got nothing to compare to as this is my first bike. It's not like I have to force it, but there is a definite clunk. Has been that way since I've had it. I changed every fluid in it when I tore it down for a paint job. Ideas? Normal?
#4- Parts- I know there's a conversion kit to change the saddlebag turn signals to the trunk- at least I think I know that!- but I'm danged if I can find it. Suggestions?
#4A- Parts- Highway pegs- I REALLY want highway pegs, but I don't know which are the best fit for the bike. The crash bars I have are stock, but it seems like the pegs would have to be off-set to work. I don't know- can someone with pegs installed show me a pic and tell me where they got them?

Many thanks in advance- I can't begin to tell all of you just how valuable this forum has been to me. I looked at others before I joined here and I've never regretted it!

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

#1- ....I started getting a bit of a backfire when slowing- it usually occurs around 1800 RPMs. ....It's not a constant thing, and I'm not real worried about it, but thought I'd ask.

Maybe aircutoff valves.. but not a serious issue, I'd ignore it..

#2- oil changes-- the book says 8k miles between oil changes! I went to change the oil at 3k and it looked brand new. So it's still in there at 4500 miles. How often do you guys change yours?

#3- Shifting has always been kinda clunky.... Ideas? Normal?

Normal

#4- Parts- I know there's a conversion kit to change the saddlebag turn signals to the trunk- .... Suggestions?

Don't know for GL1200....
[EDIT: Sorry for confusion,my initial response was for GL1100, i.e.,"No longer available but easy to make your own"]

#4A- Parts- Highway pegs- I REALLY want highway pegs, but I don't know which are the best fit for the bike. The crash bars I have are stock, but it seems like the pegs would have to be off-set to work. I don't know- can someone with pegs installed show me a pic and tell me where they got them?

I have some cheap pegs that you can have for the postage.. I like boards.. no pics..

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

Wolfy, I would change oil at 3000. The clunk is normal but when you first start it up, pull the clutch several times, hold it in, crack the throttle a couple times and it won't clunk as bad going into 1st gear. I got my saddlebag light conversion and highway pegs from goldwingchrome.com. The farts are probably the air cutoff valves on the carbs, or too much spice on the pizza. If you want to meet up, I'm in south Charlotte. I'd be glad to meet you and see what all you've done. I just had mine repainted too. Paul

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

sandiegobrass, if those are highway pegs you're talking about, I'll take em. PM sent shortly. And many thanks!

Paul, thanks for the info. I would like to meet up. When is good for you?

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

Wolfy, maybe sometime this weekend or next. I have to fly to Chicago on business all next week. I've done the saddlebag and trunk light conversions and I might have extra if I know for sure what you are talking about. I'll PM you tomorrow with phone number and info. Paul

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Wolfy, I have my old hiway pegs I replaced with Markland hiway boards if you want to come get them. They say V-Twin on them but hey, for free they work anyways!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, air cut off valve is there to prevent wet farts. As sandiegobrass said it's more of an annoyance than anything else. Check out your cut off valve it may only need cleaning. it's located under the carbureter plenum.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Thanks to everyone for your input. I tried goldwingchrome.com for the light kit, but they are on backorder. Mototourinc had them though- thanks oldishwinger.
bagmaster: pm coming.

I knew this was the place to go for answers! Damn, I love this site! :cooldj:

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

Hay Wolfy

I have rewited my tail lights and turn signals om my 82 1100. I replaced all the bulbs that I can with LED from http://www.superbrightleds.com/ . i have 17 lights around the back. The 17 LEDs use less than 1/2 amp. I have wired some the of the lights to flash with the turn signals. The LEDs helped reduce the load on my stator. I live in gastonia, only a fue miles away. If you would like some help send me an IM. Good Luck Joe

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

Like Joe, I did the LED's in the rear and front marker lights in the fairing. Now my volt meter does not move when I hit the brakes. J C Whitney might have the light conversion too. Maybe the three of us could get together one of these days, we're all within about 1/2 hour ride. Paul

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

I've thought about putting LEDs on, but didn't know how to figure out which ones to get. I looked at that site though and it looks like they've kept the bulb #'s the same. Is that right? Sure makes it easier! Have either of you had issues with the turn signal flasher? The site said the flasher may not pick up the LED due to lower voltage.

It would be great for the three of us (or more) to get together- the more the merrier!

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

If I recall, or someone please correct me, the stop lights are 1057 or is it 1157. I did everything but the turn signals because you're right, the flasher won't work. There are all kinds of "how to's" on this site. With all the stop lights I catch in town, I was mostly concerned with the brake lights dropping the voltmeter at idle. Get the LED's with the most diodes to get the most light. Example, some have 12, 24, etc. I think I got mine from ledlights.com. They also have the kits for the turn signals if you choose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.