Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Headed East this morning to do a little shopping in Arcadia. As I motored along about 60 just enjoying the morning I see a big bird in the center of the opposite lane.

We've recently had a influx of some South American hawk looking birds. Most the time it's eating road kill, like this one was.

As I approached I new it was waiting too long to leave, so I started slowing down.

Sure enough, it finally decided, I better get moving! Well it took off across my lane only a few inches off the ground.

It hit me very low. I found blood and guts on the oil filter housing, but that was it. I think I was doing about 40 when we got together.

I'm glad I had prepared and really gripped the bars firmly, because the front end wobble got severe! I stopped and checked out that nothing was broke, then went on down the road like nothing had happened.

If it had hit me in the wind shield, I'm sure it would have broken it off.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Glad you were ok lost.
We get the big buzzards too and man I wouldn't want to take one of those on.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

I'm glad it wasn't worse. No telling what could have happened if youhad not slowed down. A friend of mine had a turkey fly off the side of the road and hit him on the helmet and knocked him off the bike. Luckily he only suffered minor injuries. He did have some severe motorcycle damage.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,167 Posts
imported post

I have hit two pheasants, both of which while driving a cage.

One of them hit the windshield on the passenger side and made a real mess. The other just barely touched the glass at the top edge and slid over the top leaving a streak on the roof of the car.

Neither would have been fun on a bike.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Earle, Glad you made out unharmed.

Ride Safe, Ray

:action:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I've had a buzzard hit my P/U truck one evening and it scared the heck out of me. Luckly it hit right where the windshield joins the metal at the top. I can't imagine hitting something like that high up on the bike.

When I tell everyone (youngsters) about taking drivers ed, and yes they did have cars other than a model T, they can't believe what the instructor taught us abouthazzards on the road you can't avoid.

They instructed if you're in an area where you can't swerve,

"Grip the Wheel Firmly, and run over it."

People have a hard time understanding that it's bad to hit a dog or cat, but if it means you having a terrible accident that might injure a person, Oh Well.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Have buzzards will duck.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I thought it was my riding style, sneeking up on birds and having birds come so close I have to duck. Bird poop too. Osprays that sit on the light poles of Cortez.

Pay back time?:dude:

Longboater

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

glad you're ok. i had a small bird landing on my helmet i was cruising at 30km/h when i felt something hit my head, went around the block and came back and i found the fresh dead bird on the road. checked my helmet and i was all a mess, blood and feathers x.x.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

2 seasons ago I got 2 Robins within 3 weeks of each other. The first one hit the chrome fender guard as I was doing 70 or so down the highway on my way home from work. Feathers EVERYWHERE! Up the windshield, under the fairing, in my face, etc...

The 2nd one, I was cruising 55 on my way to pick up Gina for our trip to Estes Park and I saw it flying up, and had just enough time to think "That thing is going to miss the WINDSHIELED!" as it came over the top and smacked me square in the forehead, knocking the flip-up shield off my helmet (since it was in the up position). Thankfully, the only thing it broke was itself.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

Thankfully, so far, I have not hit anything in flight or larger than a cat, although some of the monster bugs here in the south make you wonder sometimes... The cat v. GL1800 was interesting though. I was motoring down the highway probably doing 45 or so (going thru a small town) when I noticed an adultblack cat at the edge of the highway on the opposite side of the oncoming lane. Experience of course had me immediately slowing down and watching the cat like a perverbial hawk. I learned long ago not to try dodging animals either on the bike or in a car unless there are other involved circumstances. Anyway, sure enough, just as I thought I was in a position to safely pass the cat, it suddenly, as though someone hadtied fire to it's tail, darted toward my lane. I maintained my course hoping the cat was faster than my arrival atit's positionor that it would change directions at the last nanosecond (like they often do). I DID NOT brake but didn't really have time too.And then it happened...... I felt a very soft bump through the front tire barely noticable in the handlebars, followed closely thereafter by a wriggling, spasticblack cat behind me in my side view mirror as I continued on.

I expected more of a jolt, but I guess I hit the animal at just the right place. I guess that combined with the weight of the bike and the awesome stability of the 1800, thankfully neither I nor the bike were any worse for the wear.

I sure hope I never encounter any birds or other earth-bound creatures any larger than that cat. I'd just as soon not discover how the 1800 would handle a large dog or, God forbid, a deer. I've read too many stories about those encounters.

DeDub

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I would think hitting an armadillo off-center would be a beotch.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
I would think hitting an armadillo off-center would be a beotch.
:shock: Good point. I'd just as soonnot hit anything, thank you.

DeDub

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

Hey Rudy...I'm relatively new and was wondering justwhat the heck a "Forum Ferret" is??? Can you educate me brother? :baffled:

DeDub

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Two of the worst things to hit down here with your car are good sized wild hogs, and a good size alligator.

Both are like running over a log.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I thought there was a rule:baffled:

If you run it over or kill it you gotta hang it on the bike and ride it for a month or so;)

Know a guy with a Guzzy and sidecar that is covered wit road kill trophies, he calls it “theft deterrent” if you get close it is easy to be deterred :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

SC wrote:
Know a guy with a Guzzy and sidecar that is covered wit road kill trophies, he calls it “theft deterrent"
Who the heck would want to steal a Guzzy in the first place???:stumped::stumped::stumped:

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Road kill can be real good eating. I used to drive by my bosses estate every morning and try to kick wandering pheasants as I went by. I only ever got two, but boy, were they tasty.

LIF glad you survived OK.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

SC wrote:
I thought there was a rule:baffled:

If you run it over or kill it you gotta hang it on the bike and ride it for a month or so;)

Know a guy with a Guzzy and sidecar that is covered wit road kill trophies, he calls it “theft deterrent” if you get close it is easy to be deterred :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
Kind of like the old rule my Dad had,,,

"If you shoot it, you have to eat it."

The ranchers cows sure were easy targets..:cheeky1:

But Dad,,,

I shot it.:baffled:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.