Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently looking at the wiring on our 1997 GL1500/ '98 Lehman GTL trike, I was looking at three relays that I had years ago installed & wired and suddenly I realized that all I knew of them was they made my trailer's lights work. I had time, was bored anyway, so I tracked & traced wires. I made a chart, I also found a potential future problem splice & fixed it, & I found I had wired a recently added brake light in a great spot. My trailer has separate left & right amber signals, 1 bulb only on each, so the terminals on my 5 pin plug for turn signals are direct to the trike's signal lights, no relays.

But the running lights & brake lights are more numerous on the trailer, and so they are relay fed. Each relay feeding them are protected by 10 amp fuses at the battery + terminal, 16 ga. wiring. On my right handle bar is a 4 switch box on top of the front brake master cylinder, the 3rd switch looking from rider's left to right starts this.

A … Normally … hit brakes and power goes to the lower bumper 6 light's upper #194 bulbs through relay #2 and out via terminal 87A, and none of the three relays is activated as terminal 87a which is normally closed (NC).

B … Tow a trailer … flip switch on right handlebar control and that activates relay #1 … that sends power via terminal 87 to the trailer tail lights … and to relay #2 into terminal #85 which energizes that relay which then switches from the normally closed terminal #87a over to the normally open #87 … which causes current from bike's brake circuit at terminal #30 ... to go to relay #3 terminal #85 … which causes it to close and send current from it's #30 out through it's #87 ... back to the now open #87A on relay #2 and to the trailer brake lights.

Relays #1 and #3 terminals #30 each get power from the battery via 10 amp fuses. All three relays share a common ground on their terminals #86.

Pretty clear huh? I knew it worked well, and I have a hitch receiver mount carrier with some lights, it plugs into trailer plug too. That oval red BRK light is a 4LED Red light.
These are 30 amp relays like bought at Advance and are not GL1500 relays.

All of my connections of wires to female plugs are crimped and soldered and shrink tubed. I know a simple isolator would work, but I guess I had extra relays anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
HAPPY MOTHER"S DAY!

I as thinking about this, the seemingly complicated wiring with three relays, two SPST and one SPDT type, and imagined a simpler plan using just two. I guess I was trying to overthink it back when I did that, or maybe I was just not trusting relays … I don't know now, but I can do much the same thing with just two SPST relays.

I can set up with simple re-routing of wires at terminals and eliminate Relay #2 all together, just have two. The wires are all in place, I will even eliminate a couple, make it look less like spaghetti candy even. No rush, as it sits unless the switch is thrown, nothing happens except all brake light goes through the current relay #2 to 6 #194 bulbs and a LED brake light on the bike, but that's current through the BL switch.

If I change to just two, then that current for those lights is fed via relay from the battery, the BL switch just trips the relay. Relay #1 basically will see no change, but a fella could trip it with Accessory power to make it automatic … or leave on the present switch feed? The biggest change is that the #2 relay would work every time the brakes are activated … but then relays do that. I am sure the current to switch a relay is less than that needed for those 6 #194 bulbs & 4LED light?

As it is with three relays, if a fella forgot to throw that switch, the trailer get's no tail lights and it's two brake lights are an added load on the bike's brake switch … but if I change it over, the switch just switches the trailer tails on & off, the bake lights get fed via the relay along with those extra bulbs I mentioned … always as long as the relays work. They are 30 amp relays, I use 16ga or heavier wiring too.

I'll probably simplify the wiring, take the center SPDT relay out of service but leave attached as "back up" and keep #1 on the H-bar switch.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I done.

Looks better in person.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts