Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Great site you have here, I visited it a couple of times, and I think you have created a gem.

BUT!!! To the topic at hand:

Paid a visit to our local Honda dealer yesterday only to find a 2001 GL 1800 @ aprox $12G (that’s American) with 21,000 miles on it. My wife insists I buy it.

So I need you’ll to chime in and give poor ol' me some pro and not so pro about the joys of Goldwing ownership, or even, should I?

I am concern about future expanses, like scheduled valve adjustments, timing (belt or chain); would I be able to easily change oil, filters and plugs on it on my own? How is the gas consumption?

I currently ride a cruiser (VTX 1300) which is newer but has closer to 60,000 miles on it, I perform all those minor maintenance myself (I ignore the valve clearance bit), and I get about 45 miles per Gallon, 12 to 14,000 mile on rear tire and about double that on front tire. I would like to see the same from the wing. Am I dreaming?

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the best goldwing forum anywhere.I too have a 2001 Goldwing,you are gonna love it. A helpfull tip from another 1800 owner told me for better control in tight areas,parking lots,gas stations etc. where slow riding is a must shift to second gear and you will have good control with the bike...

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!:action:

Oil, filter and plugs are easy enough to change. So is the final drive oil. I would suggest buying a service manual which makes it much easier working on the bike. Lot of tupperware in the way, but once removed it is just the best motorcycle ever built!

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

BEFORE you purchase that bike, check into the frame crack problems. There are recalls and new cracks popping up including update frame installs. I have a 02 and had Honda do the weld repair before i had purchased it. check out for more info on this site and other sites. 1800 riders is a good info site but this site is still home to me. Tony:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
imported post

Hi Fyrefly and WELCOME to the best forum on the web for wingers!!:waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
20,620 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!!! :waving:

I hope you find the Forum as informative and as much fun as we do!! :cooldevil:

Again, Welcome Aboard!! :action:

Once you've had a Goldwing, you will always want one! Besides, the boss already said yes!!! :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Yes, be sure to check the frame crack problem.

also, you may be able to get a Wing a few years younger for the same amount of money, look around and don't rush if you don't have to.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I'd do some price checking on Ebay, Craig's List and the on line NADA book for decent pricing before I popped 12 grand for a 2001.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

I recommend you post your questions over in the General Motorcycle Discussion section. Most of the gurus won't see it over here, and a lot more people frequent over there. Just a few of us greeters hang out over here on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
imported post

Hey! :waving: from Hamburg, NY
[align=center]THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO BE![/align]

If you have Goldwing Technical Smarts - GIVE IT! :2finger:

If you need help - ASK FOR IT! :blushing:
If you know of an event coming up or a cool ride you went on - SHARE IT! :banana:

Check out the events thread about the big meet-n-greet (NASSIR 3) for next summer.

If you have a joke or funny story - TELL IT! :cheeky1:[/align]
If you have prayers to give or need some - FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, SAY IT! :angel:

If you have anything bad to say to or about anyone on this forum - STUFF IT! :whip:

[align=center] WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!
:cooler:[/align]

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

:15red:Welcome to this Great Site!:12black:
Pull up a chair and join on in!
:stumped:Got a Technical question on your wing:stumped:
Technical Forum
:baffled:Got a General Motorcycle Question:baffled:
General Motorcycle Forum
:bowing:Most of all we're glad you joined and:bowing:
:action:look forward seeing you on the forums and on the road :action:

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

Welcome Aboard!:waving:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, from sunny Southern California :action:

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum, listen to your wife she is correct when she is telling you to buy it.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

I too have a VTX 1300. Before you buy, be sure you are OK with the seating and foot position of the wing. The VTX 1300 foot position is about 12" farther forward than the wing. The wing tucks your feet back under your butt. Some find it very uncomfortable, esp hard on the knees and thighs. So, ideally rent one or borrow one for a while before commiting.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

I too have a VTX 1300. Before you buy, be sure you are OK with the seating and foot position of the wing. The VTX 1300 foot position is about 12" farther forward than the wing. The wing tucks your feet back under your butt. Some find it very uncomfortable, esp hard on the knees and thighs. So, ideally rent one or borrow one for a while before commiting.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. I am in a similar position considering an early 1800 and reading all I can here before buying.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
imported post

BUY IT ALREADY! Welcome from Memphis.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome from central Texas, lots of good info. and great people here. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.:action::waving:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.