Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Like the title says i think i need a new head gasket. I have alot of smoke coming out of the right pipe, and some out of the left upon start up, after about a minute of running it goes away. However some of the things ive been told to loook for arent occuring. I pulled the plugs and none of them look steamed clean, they all look rather dirty black/brown. also i took the cap off of the radiator and the extra tank to look for bubbles, there were none, but the level of coolant in the radiator slowly rises, so i put that cap back on and just watched the overflow for a little bit, still no bubbles. i attached a couple of pics of the spark plugs for 2nd opinions, im trying to get a video of the smoke up in case that would help.

the smoke does smell different however im not really sure what this sweet smell is that coolant gives off that i should be lookinng for.

I did the timing belts last summer and id rather not do the gasket if i didnt have to, is there anything else i should be checking when looking for symptoms?

Attachments: [/b]

motorcycle 013.jpg [ 256.74 KB | Not viewed yet ]

motorcycle 012.jpg [ 288.13 KB | Not viewed yet ]

motorcycle 010.jpg [ 284.65 KB | Not viewed yet ]

motorcycle 009.jpg [ 147.5 KB | Not viewed yet ]

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately your pictures aren't showing. Does the oil look like chocolate milkshake? That is a sign of a bad headgasket.
With temperatures like they are today even down here I suspect what you're seeing is normal condensation being heated out of the exhausts. Mine shows more steam out of one of the exhausts.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

the picture thing is weird, they were showing up a minute ago, i just double clicked where the picture was supposed to be and it opened up in a new window

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Load the pictures to the gallery and then link them to the thread.:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

doesn't sound like u have a problem from the things u have checked,

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

The exhaust can smoke a little on start up with a cold engine, that's normal if it goes away as it warms up.

If it smokes a little when the engine is hot on start up then maybe there is a problem

You can have a head gasket leak without coolant mixing with the oil.
One of the symptoms will be slight over heating.

When the engine is cold and the cap is off when you start the engine the coolant will rise because the pump is pumping and the thermostat is closed.
As the engine warms up the thermostat will open and then the flow will start.

Check this. have your engine at operating temperature, switch off, leave off for ten minutes, re-start the engine, if you have a coolant leak into the head you will get whitish smoke for a few seconds and it will smell sweet.

When it happened on my 1200 last year that is what I noticed, I never did check for bubbles in the rad, didnt need to.
Hot air would seep into the coolant and overheating occured, when the engine was stopped the pressure of the cooling system would leak a little coolant into the head and on startup would burn up.
Never noticed any difference on the plugs either.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

The stuff we get for gas these days with 10 % alcohol is going to cause difference in the exhaust.

If you don't have the bubbles in the coolant system your head gasket should be fine. Other signs black oil & plug colour don't indicate a case of water getting into the internals of the engine.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
imported post

From your discription...sounds pretty normal...an oil change might help....head gasket problems are oil in the water...water in the oil...water in the cylinder...water on the ground..lots of white, sweet smelling smoke that generally does no go away but pressurizes the cooling system....poor running if it's blown between cylinders....change the oil, check fluids and run it....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.