Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

and every once in awhile take out some homebound seniors from our local rest homes for a spin down the Yakima River Canyon. Probably some rule against it, but when I'm a total senior, I'd like nothing better..... what do you think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

I bet some of them would LOVE it. Those rigs are cool too. I saw one in person the other day and they look like lots of fun. The one I saw in traffic had a big dog in the sidecar and he looked like he was enjoying himself too!

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

i think you should buy one, then red could drive and you ride the side car. walkabout:waving:

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
imported post

A buddy of mine has a Ural dealership here in SoCal. He loves 'em.

Come on down CJ and we'll see if we can work a deal.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
and every once in awhile take out some homebound seniors from our local rest homes for a spin down the Yakima River Canyon. Probably some rule against it, but when I'm a total senior, I'd like nothing better..... what do you think?
CJ
I have a friend that drives one of those around town (URAL)all the time complete with the hack. It pees on the ground all the time (drops oil) but it runs great. He has had it about 7 years now, goes in the snow too :action:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

It's only money CJ.

If you want it, get it.

You and Red make a great couple no matter what bike you are riding.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

walkabout wrote:
i think you should buy one, then red could drive and you ride the side car.    walkabout:waving:
We kind of have something like that already, Walkabout....her little Miata Shenshin......kinda cool to ride shotgun in that thing!

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

A number of them in my circle of friends. One guy I know has a Goldwing sidecar rig for summer and a Ural for winter riding. Another has a Yamaha Venture outfit up here and a Ural at his winter place in Florida. They're cheap and they're easy to work on. Vast improvements over the years. Buy the newest one you can afford. Guys tell me even one year newer might mean the difference between leaks or not.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

I've spent the last four months taking care of my father. He' 94 and just had a hip socket replaced in June. He's a truck driver and a factory manager and a gocart racer among many other things. WWII Air Force guy. A real pain in the ass these days. I have a feeling a ride on something like that would suit him fine but he hates motorcycles. He can't forget how messed up I got when I tangled mine with a car. That was 34 years ago and motorcycles still exite me. The sound, feeling and smell of a good runing motorcycle can easily strip away 30 years of bad ****. Intercomms and helmet mounted stereo sets are fine. Give me the sound of the machine and the wind and the road.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

Well, that shows how much I know.... I thought it was something from WWII...:?

Kinda cool the way they made the wheel for the sidecar part of the drive system.

I once bought a bike from a guy out in New Jersey who had a sidecar bike. He would let his dogs ride in the sidecar (he had like 7 dogs, and he let them all ride in the sidecar at the same time) The dogs loved it. In fact when I started the motor of the bike I was buying the dogs all went nuts. They wanted to go on the test ride with me! :action:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

clpete wrote:
Outlaw wrote:
Well, that shows how much I know....    I thought it was something from WWII...:?
I was told that they are a new rebuild of a BMW WWII design.
It's a Ural, currently produced by Russia and imported here, main U.S. offices are in Redmond, Washington. The usual story is that Stalin, fearing war with the Germans, obtained somehow five complete BMW R71 rigs in 1939, 1940, tore them down, and reversed-engineered them, creating molds and dies. When the Russians built the factory, they located it in the Ural Mountains out of the reach of Blitzkreig bombers...... the bike has been continuously produced since that time and has remained unchanged until recently... There's a big article about them in this month's Motorcycle Consumer News. According to MCN, they are now subcontracting their transmission gears from Austria and have gone to Mikuni carbs.....making them much more reliable and a better deal.

But they are still best suited for secondary or unpaved roads and for folks who like to tinker....

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

+1 That was awesome! :ROFL:

Well, you learn something new every day! Kinda neat that they're still making them.

I guess if I'd have looked a little closer there are some tell-tale signs. I'd be surprised if the originals had disc brakes on the front complete with drilled rotors, and I bet they weren't too worried about putting all those reflectors on them back then. Plastic mirrors too....

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Ural & Dnepr are Russian copies of pre WWII BMW. ...and then there's the Chinese Chang Jiang (had to look that one up) built version. Urals I believe have been built pretty much continuously since introduction, with considerable modernizing upgrades recently - see http://www.ural.com/ & http://www.vostokmotors.com/ for Dnepr info.

On advrider.com , there's quite the devoted following in the sidecar (hacks) forum there. For my money I'd rather throw a sidecar on a Wing (precisely what I intend to do).

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I had no idea that sport even existed. lol Great video.

And Mel, just buy one. No regrets. :cheesygrin:

John

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.