Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So I did a write up earlier about my 1980 Goldwing and how I hear a clicking noise whenever I try to start it I did a volt test from the battery to the starter and it was good so now I'm thinking that the starter is bad. I checked what I believe was the solenoid is it the thing that the positive wire goes to it has a cover that says fuse then it has another wire leading out to the starter? and does anyone know where I can purchase a new starter for cheap ad how would I go about replaceing it. Really wanna get this motorcycle running again.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

sometimes you can have the starter repaired locally depending on what is wrong. Even a cleaning to get the dust out of them will work.

If you buy a new starter, dont get the ones made in China because they dont last. I bought mine from Stocker starters in California. I think they might be under a new name but you can google stockers & find the on line link.

Starters come out fairly easly. I think the bolts are 10 mm. You will need a universal joint & extension to get one of them out. Your shifter might be in the way but once the bolts are out & you take the positive wire off the post the starter wiggles strait out. It is sealed in place with a big "O" ring which makes it a lil tight.

You might get a lil oil coming out when you pull it so have a drip pan ready. It wont be much oil if it does.

Be very carefull when you loosen the nut for your power wire on the starter. The nut can turn, but not the threaded stud because there is a wire inside the starter attached to it. Same goes when you re install!

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I would suspect the battery/connections before the starter. You comment " would like to get it running again " tell me that its been sitting.

If solenoid clicks its doing what its supposed to. Put a test meter across battery and with kill switch on, hit starter button. If reading drops below 10 volts or so then you have a battery/connection problem. Bike won't start with this low reading. You'll have to check & test for voltage drops between connections.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Have you checked for current where the wire goes to the starter body terminal nut? Get someone to press the starter button and if you can hear the click at the solenoid and are getting 12 volts at the starter terminal and it won't turn over, then the starter is bad.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
imported post

Just went through the same thing. 81 Standard, solenoid would click but starter would not turn. Removed it, had it tested at shop..crap. Ordered new one on line, took 10-15 minutes to put it in. Paid around 125.00 with shipping.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

:action:You can get a rebuild kit on "E" bay for about $35. also may find a starte there.:dude::dude:

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Olegrumpy wrote:
:action:You can get a rebuild kit on "E" bay for about $35. also may find a starte there.:dude::dude:
:waving:Do not buy a starter on eBay as they are Chinese made and they will notlast.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

I thought the started on my project bike was toast. It was having a hard time turning the engine. Then I started seeing smoke coming from the terminal on the side of the starter. My intuition told me that that was not a good thing.

I took the lead of the starter. Gave it a rub with a file to make sure that it was clean. Also did my best to clean around the threaded terminal post. Finally gave it a squirt of carb cleaner to remove any oil residue. Bolted it all back together and problem solved!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.