Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

We have a shed that we store our bikes in with one door, as can be seen in these photos.
http://tinyurl.com/658zx9

Anyway, Jeff likes wearing flip flops or sandals around the yard and he was putting his Wing in the shed one night with the sandals on. I always told him to wear your running shoes when moving the bikes in and out. You get better grip when manuevering the bikes back and forth. I wear my shoes or boots. So he's wearing the sandals and when he puts the side stand down, the sandal catches it and flips it back up and he leans the bike over now, thinking the stand is down and whamooo, it's over. He dropped the bike in our shed. I came out of the house just in time to see what happened and I helped him get the bike up quickly. End of story.......:grinner:

I have dropped other bikes I've owned. Actually only 3 times ever in 17 years, but not my Wing yet..........although there have been a couple of close calls.:shock: :D

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I could tell you about some of my drops, almost all were caused because I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing, I was in a hurry or otherwise just being careless.

But the worst one was when I dropped it in my garage. I was putting my 1200 on the centerstand, and it was leaning a little too far away from me. Then I let it get a little farther away from me and I couldn't keep it any longer so I figured I'd either hurt myself, or I would let it down as easy asI could... I opted to let it down easy.

Then I discovered I was too close to all the junk I had piled up next to the right wall, and the bike set down nicely against all that stuff. It didn't hurt anything, but I didn't have any place to go stand on the right side. I was in a real fix. I couldn't get the bike back upright because of it. So I stood up on the left (high side) peg and held on to the handle bar and the rear seat handle. Then I stuck my butt way out as far as I could (it's a good thing I am built pretty stout)and after 3 or 4 tries, the bike came up.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Ok, I'll bite. You pull into the parking lot at work like you've done 1000 times, and in the same parking spot, set your right foot down (unbeknownst to me) right on a roundish piece of loose gravel, and you've already got the weight of the bike leaning towards the right to put down the kickstand on the left. The roundish piece of gravel of course gives way, and in the struggle to regain footing, the bike in slow motion gently sets itself down on the right engine guard, and all the way down, your arms want so bad to prevent the inevitable point of no return. (This proves you cant break the laws of gravity even though it might be the will of the rider).

Round rock combined with gravity - 1
Discouraging first dropped V-Star - 0

Blessings...
Bill

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The cameraman had real courage.:shock::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

It's never an "if" but always a "when" that our Wings fall over while we're moving them a short distance!! :baffled:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I would say welcome to the club, but there is getting to be enough of us to start our own political party.:baffled:

My latest adventure was about three months ago. I pulled up to a customers house to drop off some plans. As I got ready to stop there was a woman walking her dog on the street directly in line with where I would park.

Being there is very little concrete in the womans drive and a lot of soft sand, I park on the side of the street, most of the homeowners do the same with their cars.

I concentrated on the woman and her dog, not parking. As I stopped and put my right foot down, instead of my left, the road has a severe slope to the curb drain, my foot went into the drain!!!!

Over she goes!!! This time all the way over to the handle bars. I don't know what was worse.

The witness, or the fact that I broke my mirror off!

Jen, be careful. Drops seem to run in groups. Don't be the next one to join our not so elite group.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

We have a double wide driveway and always tell my wife to park her car off to the side so when I come home I can drive right straight into the garage.

The last time she forgot,I thought well I guess park the bike on the lawn and go move her car so I can get my wing in the garage,( you know where this is going right?)

So I drive the bike onto the front lawn,put side stand down and get off to move car,and it happened,grass will not hold up a 900lb goldwing,and down it goes.

So here I am trying to pickup a 900lb bike which now is laying on its side,thanks hun!

I did get it back up without doing any damage,and you can bet gave my sweetie an earful once bike was in garage and amazingly it has not happened since,thank GOD!

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

There are 2 kinds of people who rideBIG bikes. Those who've set 'em down & those that will.

If the bike isn't moving, it doesn't count. If there were no witnesses, it doesn't count.

Actually, I can take the witnesses well enough....it's that frustrating, slow-motion,futile struggle, while waiting for the inevitable + the idiotic cause, that gets me.

Here's to all the club members [& Gonnabes]..."May it go down slow, with minimal witnesses and damage." :toast:

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

Jenn were tears of laughter running down your face??? Cause I know I probably would have run for the camera real quick and snapped off a few of him kicking and screaming while he was pinned under the wing...and of course the photos would have to be blown up poster size to hang up in the shed....but as a good wife just dont say "I told you so" the pictures will suffice

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Don't ya just love winter and the problems it causes?

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

The worst thing about dropping your bike in front of a lot of folks, is the way they all keep a straight face & offer words of [genuine?] encouragement.

It's like being on a date, alone in a car together....then, smelling an eye-wateringfart. You both know who did it, but the issue is ignored. Until you get home. :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

green grass does not make for a good kick stand base

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Popeye wrote:
....then, smelling an eye-wateringfart. You both know who did it,:cheeky1:
:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

When my wife was learning to ride, many years ago, she was using my Honda Hawk. So she parks at the office, hot summers day, and when she comes out at quitting time, the asphalt had softened, allowed Honda Hawk to settle on to its side, and then hardened off as it cooled.

She had a heck of a struggle to get the stand out of the asphalt, I think she had to get help. Meanwhile a gaggle of teenagers stood by and laughed.

I think this may be one of the main reasons she quit riding. At least she still goes on the back of the Wing.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

OK, so far, I said so far, I haven't dropped the wing...........but.

We lived about 30 miles east of Buffalo NY and my ex wanted to visit her sister in Boston. So I made arrangements for a babysitter, loaded up the CB750 and off we went. Well, we had been on the bike non-stop for several hours and had just crossed into Mass. and stopped at a service areaon the turnpike. When we pulled in I realized that I had no feeling from the waist down so I pulled over by the curb of the restaurant, put my foot down and told her to get off first. My thought being that after she got off, I would put the kick stand down on the other side and then get off.

:shock:BIG MISTAKE!!

She tried getting off on the right side of the bike and got her foot caught somehow and pulled the bike with her. The bike leaned slowlyand then it all went wrong. I didn't have the strength to hold it and it was slowly going over, I'm yelling at her to get off and help, shes yelling at me not to let it fall on her, and all the people watched as two adults slowlylost a battle to keep their motorcycle up as they yelled at each other.

Well, we got it up, left the helmets with the bike so no one would associate us with the bike and I refused to go back to it until I was sure that anyone who had seen what happened had left.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
imported post

nightwizard40 wrote:
:(Welcome to the club:(
no fun if you gotta pick one up by yourself(been there and done it)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.