Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I consider myself pretty good car mechanic but I am definitely worst bike mechanic.
I have 2 84 Wings and they both had clutch problems, Aspencade(64K) was slipping, Interstate (27K) was "grabbing", clutch didn't release.
I took clutches apart, checked everything (friction discs, steels and springs).
Found on grabbing Wing broken flat springs in central steel disc and on slipping Wing week spring and worn out fr. disks.
I bought clutch assembly from junk yard, checked everything and used good disks and spring for Aspencade. Now my Aspencade which was slipping is "grabbing". I pumped clutch many times.
I have cleaned master and slave cylinders and installed new seals in slave cylinders.
Clutch feels OK.
I am ready to bring it to a dealer but I am not sure if they will find a problem.
Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

dan filipi wrote:
When does it grab?
Mine will grab when hot after a lot of starts and stops especially 2 up after starting on hills when I have to slip it more.
All the time, it is almost impossible to ride.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

the used clutch pack, what condition was it in? Could it be it was bad?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, I don't think I'd reuse a clutch, it's enough bother to install that it's not worth the slight savings in money to balance the risk of problems witha used one.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

Hello,

This might help if clutch grabs or creeps. first check deck hieght of clutch and another tip > clutch plates have a flat side on metals. looks flat ,but not really. take finger and pull over edge toward inside . one side is sharper than the other all sharp or the flat side face out.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.