Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
24,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To take my first ride of the year. Have been having a problem with a pinched nerve in my neck and can't hold my right arm in certain positions for long because of the pain, holding the throttle is one of those positions apparently, another is working at the computer. Went about 4 miles and had to turn around, used the cruise control most of the way. I could get some comfort by holding my head against my left shoulder. As much as I dread it I guess I'll have to get something done about the nerve.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Try a Chiropractor? Works wonders for me.....

·
Administrator
57,921 Posts
Try a Chiropractor? Works wonders for me.....
Dave,
I have to agree, my chiropractors over the last 50 years have been what keeps me moving.
My back and shoulders get pinched so bad, that I can't even roll out of bed, much less get on a bike.

a good chiro doc will get you in shape, and while they will put emphasis on you coming every week, or twice a week, I tell them "doc, that won't happen.. if you are good, you will get me fixed right the first time or three, and then I will be back when I ruin something. try and gouge me and you will never see me again".

I had to "fire" several quacks, one of them was in Lovington, NM... that quack fixed my first problem very well..... then about a week later, I was hurting somewhere else....

?? what did I do this time?? could not remember doing anything wrong....
so I went back, he fixed that problem, and then a week later I was hurting somewhere else where I had never, ever, had a problem....

Went to his office and told him off in no uncertain terms, told him if he keeps that up, I will file a complaint with the state.... then I found a new chiro who turned out to be a Jewel to keep.

.Nerves that start hurting, are nearly always from being pinched by a joint out of where it should be.

·
Administrator
24,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been to a few chiropractors and they do seem to help me temporarily but it doesn't last.

·
Administrator
57,921 Posts
sometimes, nothing is a permanent fix.
my lower back is messed up, if I set and rest, it quits hurting.
if I stand up, lean over to pick something "pop!" and a visit to the chiro is required.

I have to be very careful to get both feet flat on the ground, before I exit a car or truck.
I cannot just step out with one foot and leave the truck, snap, crackle pop ensues.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
Hey Dave0430.....try this stuff.....
it won't fix your problem but it most certainly will give you some relief..... (y)

·
Administrator
24,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not pain exactly, more like the muscles are fighting each other and a certain amount of numbness.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dave,
See a chiropractor. There is one that can help you. Also get a TENS machine , they are available online or even at drug store. I bought one at a gun show. That electrical zapping will relax the muscles that cause the pain to return.
Chiropractors are like hookers, there is one on every corner and some are better than others. Most have gone away from "manual adjustment" and use some type of gun to make adjustments.
I went through a similar deal 2 years ago, took several visits to get to where I could function. Now I just lay flat on floor and roll my head from side to side. I get several large pops it my lower neck. It's almost better than sex when it releases.

·
Just one of the guys
4,781 Posts
I had numbnesss and tingling in my arm and pain in my shoulder. The Dr said it was a pinched nerve in my shoulder and sent me to Physical Therapy. They said it was my neck and started exercises for that. It didn’t help. An MRI showed some pinched nerves from herniated discs in my neck. Continued treatment and went for second opinion with an Ortho. He also said it looked like shoulder or it could be neck but the pinched nerves from the herniated disc was not bad enough for my symptoms. He said try a chiropractor. I found a chiropractor who also had a degree for the nervous system. It took about 5 minutes for him to say it was a pinched nerve where the top rib in my back was out of place (thoracic outlet syndrome). He did some adjustment but said it wasn’t ready to go back in, relax and return in 3 days and he would try again. Second trip it popped and I could feel a tingle all the way down my arm. He said the nerve had been pinched for so long it would take a week or so to get everything feeling good again. He was right. It has been good ever since.

Bottom line, a good chiropractor is a great thing.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
I found a chiropractor who also had a degree for the nervous system. It took about 5 minutes for him to say it was a pinched nerve where the top rib in my back was out of place (thoracic outlet syndrome).

DougW....... you just hit the nail on the head.... (y) (y)

·
Administrator
24,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How many do you have to try on average to find a good one? I have been to 3 or 4 and their cure seems to be to lighten my wallet.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
It's a long way from Amity to Clymer so to visit DougW chiropractor is probably out of the question. Maybe that guy could recommend a Chiro in Amity or close by.

·
Administrator
57,921 Posts
Dave,
the Chiro I use, is way out of reach for you, she is in Owasso near me.
But, she is one cracker jack..... she uses little rubber "chisels" and mallets to take the place of the old days of "manhandling and twisting", which she explained to me, usually causes more damage than it helps....

she has magic fingers is all I can say. But, when I found her, I was in a bad way, and it took about 2 weeks of Twice a week, for my muscles to relax enough that she could get the "final fix" in place for me....

Medicare says that we must attend a minimum of 2/week for 3 weeks or they won't pay her bill..... meanwhile, my deductible is so tiny that I only get $7/visit back after waiting 3 months for Medicare to process the invoices.

·
Just one of the guys
4,781 Posts
How many do you have to try on average to find a good one? I have been to 3 or 4 and their cure seems to be to lighten my wallet.
He was the first one I tried. I did online research, when I saw he had a degree in neurology and has been a chiropractor for 20 years I decided he would be a good choice. Fortunately he was a great choice For me. Dr Kenneth Erickson, Jamestown NY.

·
Premium Member
3,451 Posts
Well, your first ride was maybe short, but it's more than I've gotten in. Hope your next one is farther and more enjoyable!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts