Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm sure that just like most of you, I am dreaming of another motorsickle.
But.... not a new fangled, latest and greatest version.
I think that I would like to regress.

Out of all of the bikes that I have owned,
one has always stood out in my mind - a 1978 GL 1000

They look good, perform well, are easy to work on and are pretty inexpensive.

Here's mine from what seems like a lifetime ago:

that bike really served me well

Climb off of a Valk to get on a 1000???
sure, why not?
I have never been known for always doing the "smart" thing.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
imported post

From the looks of the bike you served it well too. Beautiful bike.

Harold

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Go for it. I love old bikes. Way more than new ones. You may have trouble finding parts, I would look for the nicest one I could find, and it may not need any parts for awhile. Old bikes have a certain something that new bikes will never have, even when, or if, they ever get old. (many may not last long enough to get old) I know for a fact that '78 GL has no computer on it, and that alone makes it worth owning. But it also has class, and soul, something NO new bike I've yet seen has. (this is all my personal opinion, and not meant to offend anyone)

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

One thing about an old bike, you can probably keep your Valk and still have the older one.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Old has never bothered me,
This is my other bike:

as far as wings go, I have owned a 75, 78, and a pair of 81's. (and a Valk)

That 78 just holds a special place in my memories. I wouldn't mind having another one.

(or maybe even a couple of them)
:action::action:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Want to sell that Norton? Nothing quite like the charm of an old British bike. I had a '66 Triumph Bonneville once, and would love to have another one. But it's not going to happen. They have now been priced over my head. I remember when you could hardly give one away.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

JerryH wrote:
Want to sell that Norton?
From what I have learned,,, EVERYTHING is for sale IF the price is right.

Someone would have to bring a pretty good sized pile of money if they want to take it home with them.

This bike also has some sentimental value to me as it is the first bike that Nina and I rode on together - a long, long time ago.

Nah, It's paid for and doesn't eat anything..... I think I'll just keep it.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Here's my old '78. The fairing did nothing to prevent buffetting and there wasn't a bag on it that would hold a helmet.

I wish I stillowned it.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

judd wrote:
keep your current bike
Why?
My Valk is OK, but that about it, just OK.

I mean, I guess it's cool and all but it's just a motorcycle to me.

The reason that I ended up with it in the first place is that I started looking for an 1800 without all of the bells, whistles and doodads on it.
The Valkyrie was as close as I could get, the price was right, so I bought a wreck and rebuilt it.

I've got no special attachment to it.

If not a 78, I also wouldn't mind getting a 75-77 and turning it into a dual-sport bike, kinda like a BMW GS.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

My Dad just picked up a really nice 75' wing and is doing a modest restore; modest only because the bike looks and runs almost like new. I'm hoping he'll pass it along when he gets his 11' wing in Nov. That would be a fun ride!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

If you're gonna get an older wing ... why not get the first. 1975. I an almost done with a "modest" restoration, they might just be a good investment some day too.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

scotterichmond wrote:
If you're gonna get an older wing ... why not get the first. 1975. I an almost done with a "modest" restoration, they might just be a good investment some day too.
honestly - spokes!
I'm as done touring on spoked rims as I am on chain drive bikes.

like I said earlier though, I wouldn't mind having a 75-77 to make a dirtbike out of.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

norton wrote:
judd wrote:
keep your current bike
Why?

I mean, I guess it's cool and all but it's just a motorcycle to me.

I am surprised to hear you say that, from recent history. You guys dropped the hum drum lifestyle off at the curb, and that Valkyrie you own right now gave you an adventure of a lifetime, and memories that will be far reaching and everlasting.

Many forum members followed you on your journey drooling the whole way.

I will also have a 78 or 80 Standard maybe next year or the year after depending on how the dominoes fall. Who knows, we may be riding them together one day soon.:action:

I think you are just a victim of MBS like many of us here............

(Multiple Bike Syndrome)

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
imported post

I'd take my "78" back in a heartbeat.....

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
imported post

I have a '77 in unknown condition that you can have. You have to come to SoCal to pick it up though.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
imported post

Code:
Why?

Would think the Valk is an updated version of the 1000 cept has more power, better riding and less tinkering. Don't get me wrong I like my 1000 but over the years it's had it's fair share of owning me. Now days I just want to have fun without the tinker factor, I guess if you have multiple bikes you tinker when you want

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I know what a Valkyrie is - I lived on one for the last 3 months.

It's a good motorcycle, gets plenty of looks (if that's your thing) and is capable of going down the road at a pretty good pace. It can do the job.

I put over 80 thousand miles on that 78 with only the starter solenoid giving out on me one time. Not too bad in my book.

Believe me, if you own a Norton, you get to tinker plenty.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

SO many Motorcycles...................so LITTLE time.............:action:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.