Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have two good, goodmotorcycles, but I want a good, old motorcycle... I want a bike that doesn't always run, that has leather saddlebags... I want a bike that smells of South Dakota sunlight and Texas beer.... a bike that has seen fifty summers, and hundreds of thousands of miles... I want an honest bike.... a downhome, working man's bike....a bike a veteran sat on....a bike like my father had.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
imported post

ahhhh so you want an old leaky hog.:shock::shock:

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

Careful CJ, your garage will look like mine.:D

Jeff

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

They don't build them like they used to.......... and damn glad of it!

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
imported post

I have been looking at indians.......oh sooo tempting

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

CJ, your dad bears an amazing resemblence to my Uncle Jack. He and his brothers Bill, Dick, and Johhny Gimble all rode Harleys in the 40's. The one in my avatar belonged to Johnny.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
I want a good, old motorcycle... I want a bike that doesn't always run,
I have an '82 Wing that fits that description. I'll trade you for that ST thingy that people are always poking fun at...

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Waxin' a bit nostalgic tonight brother C.J.? I do it alot as I get....older. The word sticks in my craw more as time passes! Beautiful photo. Is that your Dad? The guy has a lust for life type of smile, like you do. Cool C.J. jimsjinx

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Geezerglider wrote:
CJ, your dad bears an amazing resemblence to my Uncle Jack. He and his brothers Bill, Dick, and Johhny Gimble all rode Harleys in the 40's. The one in my avatar belonged to Johnny.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

That ain't my Dad, guys, although he looks like him.......

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead........

that guy is on the wall at a "Harley Botique" sort of place at Sturgis, he was an early Harley rider at the Black Hills Motorcycle Rally, and I liked the photo so much I took a picture of it....... Very well may be your Uncle Jack! That place has a lot of photos like that.

Sorry everyone.....

here's the old man, WWII..... US Navy

Attachments

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Here's another poor picture of my dad, uncles, and grandfather and my dad's '51 Panhead......

Gramps is one the bike, obviously, and my dad is the grinny guy in the dark shirt, far right..... probably taken about 1954......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Just got my AMA magazine today. There was an article about a guy and gal who rode a 1936 Harley Davidson from South Dakota to the AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days in Ohio this summer. They rode 1100 miles in a day and a half. They had a flat tire in Wisconsin that detained them 3 hours. They were hoping to get the record for the longest number of miles in a day on an old bike. They did get the record on their way home to South Dakota.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:

Very well may be your Uncle Jack! That place has a lot of photos like that.

Sorry everyone.....

here's the old man, WWII..... US Navy
Maybe it was Uncle Jack. Wouldn't have put it past him. :D

He was a single man until 50 and really made the rounds, and also a Pacific theater Navy vet. (USS West Virginia)

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
imported post

I am looking to restore a 1976 XT500 that fits that description too... sorta... it is not a cruiser, but when dressed out like a TT500 it has a nice vintage racing look.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

My Dad had a TT500 when I was a teen... That thing was a monster.
We used to climb a lot of hills, he'd laugh at me and go up to the bottom of a hill, stop, put it in first gear, and thump thump thump up the hill... LOL
I'd have to get a running start with my two-stroke 250 and keep the R's in the right range...

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Something like this -- just to play with -- would scratch my particular itch!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

I dare not speak too loudly, but I want something like a Honda 90 or one of the 110's that they put out. I'd love to have something just to run around in the neighborhood. I learned to ride on the 110 and still love it. My first bike was a Kawasaki 900 z1a - quick bike and a real speed demon.

If I were dreaming and filling my stable I'd throw in the KLR650 for an all-around, multi-purpose rider. Something to run local that could also go the distance if needed. Then I'd park that Can-Am Spyder in the corner that Rodent wants. Fun to play on, quick and nimble and a conversation starter.

The only other one that I can think of off the top of my head is that USMC diesel version of the KLR650. I know they aren't available to the public yet, but the Hummer wasn't at first either.

Ruaidh

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
my dad is the grinny guy in the dark shirt, far right..... probably taken about 1954......
You have his smile. :)

John

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

If you really, really, really want to work on one - you can work on mine...

She's not really, really old (2002) - but she can always use some work :D

Or, if ya want your own - now that Indian isunder new ownership anddoing them much, much better now - the Gilroy era ones (like mine) can be had used at "reasonable prices" - with lots of work needed :shock:.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Found you this one CJ.....Just pull out your wallet and get real close to your banker....If this link works....This is a fully restored 1948....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-Davidson-45-VINTAGE1948-HARLEY-HD-45-MOTORCYCLE-
RESTORED_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem56358841b6QQitemZ370265309622QQptZUSQ5fmotorcycles

This One is a 1950 Harley.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harl...b275dQQitemZ320428779357QQptZUSQ5fmotorcycles

Just for more giggles and grins I looked up the 1949 Harleys too and found this one ..:shock:....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harl...977b9QQitemZ120472565689QQptZUSQ5fmotorcycles

Or this 1949 ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harl...c8429QQitemZ230377161769QQptZUSQ5fmotorcycles

Last one and I give up now its your turn.....to have what you want.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harl...1ead5QQitemZ170388482773QQptZUSQ5fmotorcycles

There that will give you the I wants really bad.....And yeah you do have your Fathers smile.....

Claude......

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Hi CJ have a look at Walnecks.com,

I'd really like this one myself as they are sort of rare. It's a BK350, 1961 MZ BK 350, opposed twin two stroke, shaft drive. very unique design, great styling, runs perfect. Rare and unusual baby boxer. Call john for details, 866 896 7743 Blue Moon Cycle, Norcross ga. I could attach my Stoye sidecar to it!

http://www.walnecks.com/find/listing/1961-MZ-BK-350-95228916

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.