·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Here is my 1995 Interstate when I bought her 5 years ago:

And here she is after a year of work:

What a great ride!

BTW, I got her from a guy in Sacramento (for $1500), that was going to use the engine in a dune buggy. He hadbought it from a guy in Denver. The guy in Denver had loaded her up with his camping trailer and his spouse, then set out for a vacation. About 15 miles out of Denver, Mr. Deer decided to cross the road when they were passing by, and presto, totaled bike. Luckily, nobody was seriously hurt.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

well done thats one hell of a job enjoy the ride :waving::action:

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

I think you have done a fine job of refurbishing the ole machine . Now its time to :action:go like the wind .

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Always makes me feel good to see another injured or neglected Goldwing back in roadworthy condition, especially one that's been so well refurbished.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Thanks for your comments. Actually, I posted to show that it CAN be done by anybody with moderate mechanics skills. I finished it about 18 months after purchasing.
My wife however said I was like a dog with a bone trying to find used parts. I lived on Ebay and the internet until I had what I needed. Painting was a PITA. Especially the prep work. Outside of a few indescriminate smudges, the paint job came out fairly well for being my first candy apple job, and working in a small room in back of a bowling alley (where I work).
I encourage anybody to try it (the restoration). It is an incredible learning experience, and was a great "hobby" for awhile. I think my next project will be a meyers manx buggy (just kidding honey!). Actually, I'm NOT kidding. If anybody has a Manx or Manx style buggy that needs work, let me know, I'm looking to steal one. Also, I'm willing to travel a little (few hundred miles) to get the right one.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I know the work you have put in it. Great job!

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

L8ndeb wrote:

My wife however said I was like a dog with a bone trying to find used parts. I lived on Ebay and the internet until I had what I needed. Painting was a PITA. Especially the prep work. Outside of a few indescriminate smudges, the paint job came out fairly well for being my first candy apple job, and working in a small room in back of a bowling alley (where I work).

:dude::cheeky1:

I know what you mean. I am in that same boat. I just got my wing back in June of this year and I am now in the process of doing some PM work and a new paint job. I lived on Ebay and also shopping several venders to get all my needed parts. I have it all now and I am taking my time on the paint job. Like you said the prep work is a PITA. But I hope it will look as good as yours when I finish.

Great looking wing you got and I love the color - RED.......:action:

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Nice looking bike........

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

I kind of liked the before better. :baffled:

But, my bikethought you did a great job. And its opinion is the one that counts. :waving:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Job well done!!!!!! Beautiful!!!!!!:clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

Again thanks for all the compliments.
I think it handles well. I went from a full dress CB750 (restored that one as well) to the Interstate. I ride it frequently from Reno (where I live) to Tahoe (where I work). Great ride on the Mt. Rose highway (Nevada St. RT 431).
I had a 750 when I was considerably younger, and had to have another one when I started riding again. Then my wife decided she wanted to participate, so I looked for a GL1500 and found my wreck.

BTW, the mountain in the background of the after picture is Mt. Rose. That's my ride to work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.