Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I haveseen a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of wearing a helmet. Well here is my input. Getting killed because of a head injury is NOT so much a concern to me as seeing the results ofSurviving a head injury. Seeing a perfectly healthy person reduced to a wheelchair boundperson is a devastating thing. Seeing a 20 year old with his entire life ruined just because he chose to me macho and show off his bravado my not wearing a helmet is a sobering thing.

Most of the head injuries are caused my either motorcycles or diving accidents. In my years of working in rehab I have seen plenty of head injuries. Iknow ofa person who lost his entire face because he hit a wall and tore his entire face off. So every time I get on my Gold Wing you can bet I wear a full face helmet, as much as I hate the thing, I still wear it because I know what CAN happenif I do not wear it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my opinion.

Your Friend,

John D.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

I have a distinct 'step' in my collarbone where it was broken and my shoulder dislocated by my full face's jaw impacting there...saved me from snapping my neck. I don't get drunk and get on my bike since that little wake up call.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thelessons we learn the hard way is usually the ones we remember, if we are lucky and survive.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I have had patients say... "I don't care if God takes me home", to which I have replied... I don't want God to take me to the nursing home down the street

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

John,

My helmet saved me from a head injury in April when I went down. Broke my ankle, fractured my collarbone, separated my shoulder and hyperextended a thumb. Thanks to my full face helmet, I still HAVE a face, I can feed myself and I didn't end up being a burden on my family. Some things are worse than death, and hanging around a nursing home for the next forty years draining my family's savings is one of those things.

Thanks for the reality check.

Melanie

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Yep, a helmet is a must....

Madea promise to my Mom and myself when I started riding, I WILL WEAR A HELMET.......

My Dad wore a crash helmet in ag planes and it saved his life a couple times.

Figured if it could save pop's life, it can save mine, and it has. I would rather hear that helmet hit the pavement than the dull thud of my noggin....... I was lucky, broken collar bone but got up and walked off to find the marks on my helmet later. I still have that helmet..........

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

Helmets...they ain't just decoration. I wouldn't ride w/o one.

DeDub :18white:

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

When my brothers and I got out first bikes as preteens, the rule was, no helmat, no ride, no excuses. We did try to outsmart the old man, the key word being "try". He always seemed to know and the shot we took in the back of the head made us wish did have the helmet on. Once he knocked me right off the bike.

My father was a stock car driver, he had also driver midgets and TQ midgets and rode with the Joey Chitwood stunt show, before he had four boys to feed anyway, and he knew the value of the helmet. And to tell the truth, after a few good wrecks out in the fields, we figured it out as well.

Now, my rule, no helmet, no ride, no excuses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.